The 1990 Melbourne Tram Strike

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
LocoLes
Favourite Vehicle: CAC Bedford 1957-60

The 1990 Melbourne Tram Strike

Post by LocoLes »

These photographs are from my camera of the MET trams occupying both tracks of several blocks in Elizabeth Street in January 1990 for the duration of the Tram Strike. Trams were abandoned after being driven into the city and provided a colourful attraction for those who believe green and cream was 'the perfect Melbourne livery'. Most trams had their poles lowered at both ends and different tram classes can be seen in the photos. Z1 No.99 is visible [99 was an early retirement] and Z1 No. 8 is in AOA 'Libraries Are For Everyone'. MET No.907 Volvo B59 [Ansair] was parked across the tracks and it's tyres deflated [see photos]. :mrgreen:
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14634
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14635
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14642
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14643
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14650
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14651
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13322
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13316

LocoLes
Loco Les
funbus
Favourite Vehicle: man sl200 mkI

Re: The 1990 Melbourne Tram Strike

Post by funbus »

:shock: :shock:

OMG

They slashed the tyres on the bus just to block the trams :roll:

Wouldn't happen these days :x
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
awatea36
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B9R

Post by awatea36 »

I would be very surprised if any members of this forum can remember what kind of power the transport unions had back then.
Volvo B9R one word: Awesome!

Stagecoach Wellington Crew

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here. ;)
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

awatea36 wrote:I would be very surprised if any members of this forum can remember what kind of power the transport unions had back then.
I vaguely remember it, the BLF was also big during these days I believe, in the building industry. Clearly unions back then were open to blatant abuse of power.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

funbus wrote::shock: :shock:

OMG

They slashed the tyres on the bus just to block the trams :roll:

Wouldn't happen these days :x
LocoLes wrote: MET No.907 Volvo B59 [Ansair] was parked across the tracks and it's tyres deflated [see photos]. :mrgreen:

LocoLes
DEFLATED totally different to "slashed" :roll:

YES LocoLes, green & cream the perfect Melbourne livery :D They certainly look good. Thanks for the photos.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

V981 wrote:
awatea36 wrote:I would be very surprised if any members of this forum can remember what kind of power the transport unions had back then.
I vaguely remember it, the BLF was also big during these days I believe, in the building industry. Clearly unions back then were open to blatant abuse of power.
The BLF had been deregistered in 1986 by the Cain Labor government. The BWIU, referred to be some, particularly ex BLF officials, as "the bosses union" took over. It was involved in an amalgamation which formed the CFMEU in 1992. It wasn't the union officials who organised the tram blockade, it was the workers, somewhat against the wishes of a number of union officers. The all or nothing approach of the then Minister, the late Jim Kennan, exacerbated the issue, the issue being the removal of tram conductors. Kennett eventually got rid of the conductors, but before his promised "$50 million" ticketing system was in place. The "$50 million" ticketing system, Metcard, eventually cost over $1 billion and was plagued with faults for years. It was actually more expensive and less reliable that the much maligned myki but was working quite well at the end. In the late 90s, trams ran with the driver collecting fares on the weekend. The obvious occurred, and trams bunched up so that they came every hour with three or four in a line. The contempt for the travelling public was palpable, matched only by the stoppage of Jan/Feb 1990. The decision of the Baillieu government, based on a still secret report, not to install ticket machines on trams, rounds off a fairly sorry picture for trams.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

With all the blow-out in costs of these "state-of-the-art" ticketing systems, really makes you wonder if KEEPING the conductors ON, would have not only relieved some employment problems :shock: , but $1 billion would pay a LOT of conductors for a LOT of years :roll: . But NO, lets buy generally "overseas" ticketing technology, where the $$ go out of Australia :evil: and obviously in Metcard & Myki scenarios, keep paying millions and millions to keep them working :( Only MY opinion, and I'm old fashioned, but new technology is NOT always better :roll:
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

LocoLes wrote:...
provided a colourful attraction for those who believe green and cream was 'the perfect Melbourne livery'
It looks really good. Gotta be one of the greatest liveries, up there with the 'brown bomber' livery. Certainly looks better than the current one, went to Melb a few years back, but no tram livery seems to have been imprinted to my head. Is it white and black with a bit of orange saying "PTV"?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:With all the blow-out in costs of these "state-of-the-art" ticketing systems, really makes you wonder if KEEPING the conductors ON, would have not only relieved some employment problems :shock: , but $1 billion would pay a LOT of conductors for a LOT of years :roll: . But NO, lets buy generally "overseas" ticketing technology, where the $$ go out of Australia :evil: and obviously in Metcard & Myki scenarios, keep paying millions and millions to keep them working :( Only MY opinion, and I'm old fashioned, but new technology is NOT always better :roll:
Even with a new ticketing system, it boggles me why they didn't go with the Australian bidder who was heavily involved in the implementation of "Oyster" in another prominent world city. Whilst I believe their initial bid was slightly higher than the consortium which brought us Myki, they probably would have got it right the first time, so in hindsight, would have been a hell of a lot cheaper by completion of the project. And they are based in Melbournes southern suburbs. :)
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

It looks really good. Gotta be one of the greatest liveries, up there with the 'brown bomber' livery. Certainly looks better than the current one, went to Melb a few years back, but no tram livery seems to have been imprinted to my head. Is it white and black with a bit of orange saying "PTV"?
As you said but green for trams. TBH I quite like it and I suspect the green is a nod back to the original MMTB livery. However with the slab sided trams of today I'm not convinced the MMTB livery would work in either brown or green form. However I am sympathetic to claims that the battleship grey of the first set of Yarra Trams liveries was nothing exciting.

The Met livery was good for its time, but I suspect has dated with time. It would be interesting for someone good at Photoshop to "Met"ify newer tram and train types. Actually, it would also be interesting to go back further with MMTB orange, green/cream, and brown/cream; as well as VR blue. At a guess the VR blue would probably stand up as would the Met train livery (which TBH is much the same as Connex livery which was OK), but the MMTB liveries would look dated on newer trams unless modifed.
tranzitjim

Post by tranzitjim »

I remember the trams blockading the streets. I also remember them in Bourke Street Mall.

I did not know about the bus.

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”