What is wrong with Auckland's PT?

New Zealand Transport Discussion

Moderator: Vitalstatistix

Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

What is wrong with Auckland's PT?

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

On a recent trip to NZ, while we were in Auckland I couldn't help noticing that the buses and trains ran near empty for a lot of the time. I was there on the 7th/8th and 12th/13th of July, so is that just a less busy time of year or is it always like that? I couldn't understand why either, because it looked like a decent PT network to me. Even the Christchurch PT was more patronised than Auckland's.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
PaxInfo

Re: What is wrong with Auckland's PT?

Post by PaxInfo »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:On a recent trip to NZ, while we were in Auckland I couldn't help noticing that the buses and trains ran near empty for a lot of the time. I was there on the 7th/8th and 12th/13th of July, so is that just a less busy time of year or is it always like that? I couldn't understand why either, because it looked like a decent PT network to me. Even the Christchurch PT was more patronised than Auckland's.
What can look a decent network if looking at a network map doesn't always look so good when you delve into stuff like operating hours, service frequencies, route directness, bus priority, fare systems etc. Eg if the only buses nearby finish at 6pm and don't run Sunday extensive coverage still won't be useful or attractive to many working people.

Auckland has had strong patronage growth in the last 10 - 20 years but has come off a very low base and is still low by Aust/NZ standards.

It needs to go through train and bus network reform similar to what Perth did in the 1990s and 2000s. In short this means:

* Trains every 15 min or better at all suburban stations 7 days/week peak and off peak (so that trains become useful for spontaneous travel throughout the day, not just peak periods and they become frequent enough to reliably connect bus routes to)
* Restructured bus network featuring fewer, simpler, more direct and more frequent routes that is still within walking distance of most people
* A full network with all modes working together rather than duplicating (including circumferential bus routes that feed trains and provide cross-suburban trips without having to go into the CBD and back out)
* 6am - midnight operating hours on all major routes, and 7 day morning to night service on neighbourhood routes
* Integrated fares, meaning there's no penalty in changing vehicles
* Upgraded passenger information to present the system as a useful, versatile network and market frequent service where it occurs

A fair bit (eg rail electrification) has been done with the next big thing (bus service reform) due next year. See http://www.humantransit.org/2012/10/auc ... ities.html
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
BusPlaneTrainTram

Post by BusPlaneTrainTram »

I moved from Sydney to north of Auckland in May last year. As PaxInfo notes, a revamp is on the way.

All trains [except the Papakura-Pukekohe] are now electric - load growth has outstripped the planned numbers.

Unfortunately for too many years the car was king and building parking statins in the 1970s was the solution to transport problems - just find somewhere to park the cars used on the roads. Public Transport was a non event, as noted "a very low base", thus traffic congestion now is a major problem.

Auckland Transport has a very good process for revamping the bus services as noted above. The best way to see this is by going directly to this part of Auckland Transport's website:

https://at.govt.nz/projects-roadworks/n ... t-network/

They are using a very good consultation and feedback model, making changes based on the feedback and creating a network to bring more users positively on board. A good example is the process on Hibiscus Coast with the Algies Bay changes after poor feedback - AT contacted every respondent with an address in the affetced area for a second interview to get a community feel for the best options. A more acceptable outcome resulted.

The first real changes will occur towards the end of the year with the Hibiscus Coast/Orewa/Silverdale changes, including the extension of the Northern Busway to Silverdale. Previously, a small set of changes occurred in the Green Bay area.

The whole process is logical - working on the outling area first and filtering back to the city.

Christchurch has already done this process and Dunedin has completed the first part with the Mosgiel and Green Island services, followed by part 2 on January 1st, 2016 and part 3 on July 1st, 2016.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Manakau Train Patronage has Incresed 120% in the last 12 months, they have a 10 minute service & 20 minute of peak 7 days a from 6.30am to 10.30Pm what more do you want, did you travel on public transport in Auckland ?
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I didn't ride on it, but as I said from looking at the buses and trains they looked empty for the most part. Thankyou for all your answers, it really explains it.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868

Return to “New Zealand Transport Discussion”