WA Transport Questions thread

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

tbc1983

Re: WA Transport Questions thread

Post by tbc1983 »

Images as credited. Thanks to perthbus.info.

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Rattler 148, November 1984 wrote:One of the latest Mercedes has been painted in a new livery for "System 88". This is a new concept, designed to carry passengers more quickly to the city. Routes will be at a limited stops nature, with "park & ride" facilities at some stops. The buses used will have some other special features such as additional luggage space and (except for the first six buses) heated windows. Twenty-two buses will be painted in this livery - twelve Mercedes and the ten new Leyland B21s.
I don't recall hearing any more about the heated windows.
Rattler 149, December 1984 wrote:Week commencing 25th November saw a number of alterations to MTT bus routes, the most significant being the introduction of the first of the "System 88" routes from Bi-centennial funds. Numbered, appropriately, 881, the new limited stops route goes from Munster, via Rockingham Road, Carrington Street, Marmion Street, Booragoon, to Perth Central Bus Station. The buses used are in a new livery of white, with a thick red band, with the name CITYLINK. The seating on these buses has been reduced by the fitting of a luggage rack either just behind the drivers cab, or ahead of the centre door. Buses for this service are 491-5 and 469, this last having already entered service at Trigg. It had to be repainted into the CityLink livery.
The O305s were soon replaced with new B21s.
Rattler 150, July 1985 wrote:A second CityLink service, numbered 882, started on 1 July from Gosnells to Perth. Gosnells Depot operates the route with a mixture of new Leyland B21s and Mercedes Benz O305s.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

MTT384 wrote: The seating on these buses has been reduced by the fitting of a luggage rack either just behind the drivers cab, or ahead of the centre door.
I remember using those racks back in the '80s as a small school kid, they were bloody brilliant. There was never an aisle full of fkn, annoying school bags; plus they saved on sore shoulders when standing up during crowded peak time.

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
LawBayly

Post by LawBayly »

Anyone got the results of the Hybrid Bus Trial?

Are we getting any new hybrid busses or is 2245 a one of a kind. (Although 2245 would still be unique since if we did get any new ones... They would be in an optimus body)

Just wondering because the year trial has long passed.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The trial is running for 18 months.
LawBayly

Post by LawBayly »

Thanks for that... but even considering that 2245 was out and about march last year... That would mean the 18 months would have been up last month.
sylar

Post by sylar »

I could be wrong but maybe the results will be in the PTA annual report when it gets released soon hopefully.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

It has already been released: PTA Annual Report 2013/14

Trial would have only just finished. Can't expect them to churn out results immediately.
102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 102 at 1625 »

Only the following few sentences in the annual report:
The PTA, in their annual report, wrote:The PTA continued to operate one diesel-electric hybrid bus on Perth City CAT services. The hybrid bus was commissioned in February 2013 by Volvo Bus Australia and was brought into service in March 2013. It is undergoing an 18-month trial and assessment to help shape future hybrid bus strategy. During the trial it will operate on all Perth CAT routes and its performance is being assessed against standard Volvo diesel buses and Mercedes CNG buses operating in the same environment.
sylar

Post by sylar »

So which operators / depots are tasked with sending 48 Transperth buses down to Albany for the Anzac event ?

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/anzac ... 13w02.html
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Have noticed through Live Train times that the 5:38 from Perth to Clarkson and associated runs have been shown as '6 car' the past few days, previously this was a 4 car. Is this the first set of As to be taken off the Joondalup line?
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Sets 101 & 102 is in revenue traffic, as more third gens enter service the less A sets will traverse the north/south lines it is now 3x 4car sets left on the north/south lines, ride them whilst you still can
900 series

Post by 900 series »

With new railcars continuing to come online are there any timetable enhancements or even just changes planned, or will there only be lengthened services and A sets replaced with Bs on the Whitfords-Cockburn shuttles? (Other than time changes to support Aubin Grove when it opens)
Last edited by 900 series on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theenglishguy

Post by theenglishguy »

900 series wrote:With new railcars continuing to come online are there any timetable enhancements or even just changes planned, or will there only be lengthened services and A sets replaced with Bs on the Whitfords-Cockburn shuttles? (Other than time changes to support Aubin Grove when it opens)
I haven't heard any plans for timetable changes yet. Currently the PTA are focusing on making all peak trains 4/6 cars. There are still a few 2/3 car trains running at peak times and they get badly congested (except on the Armadale/Thornlie line where they run more frequently).

All that is stopping TransPerth from running more services outside of peak times is the cost - there is plenty of rolling stock available. Three things I think need improvement (and don't need additional trains) are:

1) Services every 15 minutes for all stations on the Fremantle and Midland lines at peak times. I think it is unacceptable that most stations of these lines have a worse service during the peak that off-peak.

2) Earlier Sunday morning services. The first service getting to Perth after 8am is too late - Perth has changed.

3) Joondalup/Mandurah line off-peak frequency increase. Trains every 10 minutes would be great and might help encourage people to commute outside peak times (this is unlikely, but I couldn't help adding it)

There are plenty of bus improvements I can think of, but I'll leave that for another time
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

theenglishguy wrote:1) Services every 15 minutes for all stations on the Fremantle and Midland lines at peak times. I think it is unacceptable that most stations of these lines have a worse service during the peak that off-peak.

2) Earlier Sunday morning services. The first service getting to Perth after 8am is too late - Perth has changed.
+100. IMO, I don't believe that limited stops services on the Fremantle and Midland lines are effective. Just bump the frequency of all-stops services during peak periods to a 7-8 minute headway.
3) Joondalup/Mandurah line off-peak frequency increase. Trains every 10 minutes would be great and might help encourage people to commute outside peak times (this is unlikely, but I couldn't help adding it)
What I would do is run two patterns on these lines inter-peak: an all-stations short-working (i.e. Whitfords Shuttle from Cockburn to Whitfords) and a Limited Stops pattern that services the outer stations only (e.g. Mandurah, all to Cockburn, Esplanade, Perth, Whitfords, all to Butler). From experience, inter-peak services on these lines frequently carry full seated loads (or more) by the time they reach the last suburban station on their respective lines so extra capacity is most definitely desirable.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

can i ask you. is 3034-3035 gerabox is Voith like other most of Volvo Bus or ZF like 3033, 2214, 2314, 1662. because i saw 3035 and the heart the engine sound is a bit different with Volvo artic or Renault Artic.
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

theenglishguy wrote:
900 series wrote:With new railcars continuing to come online are there any timetable enhancements or even just changes planned
300 extra carriages.....you'd like to think so!
Merc & Renault Bus_1

Post by Merc & Renault Bus_1 »

pasha241 wrote:can i ask you. is 3034-3035 gerabox is Voith like other most of Volvo Bus or ZF like 3033, 2214, 2314, 1662. because i saw 3035 and the heart the engine sound is a bit different with Volvo artic or Renault Artic.
3034 & 3035 have ZF Ecolifes in them, same as 3033
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

All B8RLEA artics will have ZF Ecolife for now...
Merc & Renault Bus_1

What happened to Transesperance?

I noticed a bus stop without a bus stop number.

No silly answers thanks
Merc & Renault Bus_1

Thanks Esperanceguy :-)
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”