Across Australia Coachlines/Parlorcars/Quest.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

The Bus Company, trading as Across Australia Coachlines, imported a substantial number of DAF powered Bova Futura coaches for their interstate express operations. The first was in 1986 and was registered UTR 520. I captured the vehicle when it made one of it's first service
runs into Sydney.

Seen in the more familiar later Bus Australia titles is another Bova Futura, fleet no 81 WV36AD, seen here in the main street of Katoomba.
torrens117
Favourite Vehicle: "1318" MAN 18.260

Post by torrens117 »

I travelled in one of those with Bus Australia from Adelaide to Sydney in the mid 1990s. 24 hours via Broken Hill.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I had been working for Across Australia Coachlines at the time after Max Winkless purchased these 3 companies in 1985:
1)Parlorcars,Perth.
2)Across Australia Coachlines,then based in Perth.
3)Quest Tours,Adelaide.

I have a few photos I took at the time.These are mainly 1985-1986.

I hope that there are others who can add their photos to this post.It would be of interest if anyone has any photos from the days when the former owner Ross Love owned AAC.He owned a PMC Adelaide bodied Volvo B10M 12.2 metre coach,An Austral Metroliner bodied single axle volvo B10M that ended up in the fleet when Max Winkless bought the fleet.It did become one of Banksia Tour's then sold to Flynn's Buslines vehicles.The other coach was a Howard Porter bodied Volvo B10M too.There was an article in "Truck & Bus" somewhere around 1984 or 85.Ross had ordered 2 x Ansair Mercedes 3 axle coaches and the story goes that there were supposed to be 6 Volgren Twin Decks ordered at the time but Max Winkless cancelled 4 and took the 2 that were ready for delivery.Both were based in Perth and transferred to Adelaide in May 1986 when they were replaced by New Bova's.

There were several Adelaide based coaches:
3 x 11.3m Domino Tourmasters.Retained their red and white "Quest Tours" Livery.These were used for tours.
(fleet No's:#21,#22,#23.)
2 x 12.2m Domino Tourmasters.These were painted in the new AAC livery.Used on express.(fleet No's:#24 and #25.)
1 x Bova Futura.This was put into service in December 1985.(#60).Used on express but was used on tours in 1986 onwards when more Bova's were added to the Adelaide fleet.Further Bova's were put in service at least from possibly after April 1986.Some were delivered to Perth for both AAC and Parlorcars.
The Perth based coaches,2 x Volgren Twin Decks and Ansair Mercedes coaches were brought to Adelaide.
1 of the Mercedes had been stranded on the Nullabor with a damaged engine.Thats 1986.This was towed to Adelaide and repaired.The Volgren Twin Decks were used in service on express and tours based at Adelaide.(No's:#54 and #55.)
1 x Denning 11.3m.This was a "Quest Tours" charter coach that was repainted in AAC livery.It was used on express when needed.(#18).
Parlorcars Dennings still in their Parlorcars livery saw service while based in Adelaide at times.
The Howard Porter bodied Volvo was in Adelaide before being returned to Perth in Feb.1986.It did end in Adelaide later up for sale on Main North Road Near Diaganol Road Pooraka, near where Kanga Bus Lines are.

Their Adelaide depot was in Provident Avenue Glynde which is the original Lewis Bros and Quest Tours depot.Their coach terminus in Adelaide was a converted petrol station in Morphett Street alongside the Morphett Street Bridge.
The Perth depot was off Great Eastern Highway,Belmont.I cant remember the street.What Perth street was their office/terminus?
In Melbourne the terminus was Whights Tourist Bureau in Flinders Stree nearer Elizabeth Street.
In Sydney the office and Terminus was in Parramatta.

You are welcome to add photos,information,memorabillia,etc here.
Here's the link to the Bus Australia topic:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 48&t=71702
Attachments
On tour in 1986 with the first Bova #60 at Little Hartley Nsw in 1986.
On tour in 1986 with the first Bova #60 at Little Hartley Nsw in 1986.
4.41 (625 x 416).jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
Bova #60 on the Nullabour at the lookout,111km from SA/WA border.There were other coaches there at that time.1985.
Bova #60 on the Nullabour at the lookout,111km from SA/WA border.There were other coaches there at that time.1985.
6.120 (656 x 496).jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 49319 times
Another Bova in Sydney.
Another Bova in Sydney.
6.113 (942 x 620).jpg (156.8 KiB) Viewed 49319 times
Quest Tours Bova in the then familar red,white and blue livery.I think this was the only Bova that was used for tours as Quest Tours.
Quest Tours Bova in the then familar red,white and blue livery.I think this was the only Bova that was used for tours as Quest Tours.
5.80 (616 x 407).jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
Across Australia Coachlines Bova in Sydney.
Across Australia Coachlines Bova in Sydney.
5.85 (600 x 381).jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
My first interstate express service in December 1985 in this Denning of Parlorcars.This coach was used for some Quest Tours out of Adelaide during 1986.Photo taken by me at the SA lookout 111kms from Border of SA/WA in December 1985 on the express service from Perth to Adelaide.
My first interstate express service in December 1985 in this Denning of Parlorcars.This coach was used for some Quest Tours out of Adelaide during 1986.Photo taken by me at the SA lookout 111kms from Border of SA/WA in December 1985 on the express service from Perth to Adelaide.
5.50 (783 x 515).jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
The very first Bova in Australia.#60.I put this into its first service in December 1985.My very first East-West express service in both direction.This was the coach I was on.This coach had 2nd passenger door ahead of rear axles,underfloor drivers bunk and reduced baggage capacity.It also had fold up courier seat.It was the only version with those features.Photo taken at the Glynde depot 2 days before it entered its official service run from Adelaide to Perth.
The very first Bova in Australia.#60.I put this into its first service in December 1985.My very first East-West express service in both direction.This was the coach I was on.This coach had 2nd passenger door ahead of rear axles,underfloor drivers bunk and reduced baggage capacity.It also had fold up courier seat.It was the only version with those features.Photo taken at the Glynde depot 2 days before it entered its official service run from Adelaide to Perth.
2.11 (600 x 416).jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 49319 times
Bova Futura.Photo taken around 1986 in Sydney.
Bova Futura.Photo taken around 1986 in Sydney.
2.19 (623 x 418).jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
Parlorcars Denning Denair.This saw service in Adelaide at times during 1985-86.It was used on AAC express at times.Beautiful coach.
Parlorcars Denning Denair.This saw service in Adelaide at times during 1985-86.It was used on AAC express at times.Beautiful coach.
2.10 (600 x 409).jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 49319 times
Domino Tourmaster 3 as per Across Australia fleet colours.1 of 2  40ft versions originally in Quest Tours livery,refer to advert. .There were 3 x 11.3 metre versions.Photo taken at Caiguna,WA for afternoon meal break heading to Perth.I was 1 of 4 coach captains on board this service.
Domino Tourmaster 3 as per Across Australia fleet colours.1 of 2 40ft versions originally in Quest Tours livery,refer to advert. .There were 3 x 11.3 metre versions.Photo taken at Caiguna,WA for afternoon meal break heading to Perth.I was 1 of 4 coach captains on board this service.
1.5 (753 x 475).jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
Last edited by Denv12 on Mon May 05, 2014 6:15 am, edited 12 times in total.
Denv12

Re: Across Australia Coachlines/Parlorcars/Quest.

Post by Denv12 »

More Across Australia Coachlines.
Attachments
Parlorcars Single axle Denning in Perth.,1985.
Parlorcars Single axle Denning in Perth.,1985.
6.210 (789 x 552).jpg (94.89 KiB) Viewed 49172 times
The advert in the "Truck & Bus" magazine for Domino Industries Tourmaster 3.This one was the one of 3 12 metre versions owned by Quest Tours.Was repainted into Across Australia Coachlines livery in 1985.
The advert in the "Truck & Bus" magazine for Domino Industries Tourmaster 3.This one was the one of 3 12 metre versions owned by Quest Tours.Was repainted into Across Australia Coachlines livery in 1985.
6.172 (680 x 936).jpg (157.51 KiB) Viewed 49317 times
Last edited by Denv12 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Another photo to add to my collection of Across Australia photos.
Attachments
Denning 11.3 metre coach.fleet #18.Used mainly on tours.Was orginally part of the Quest Tours fleet prior to the purchase of the company by Max Winkless in 1985.Was repainted in "The Bus Company's-Across Australia Coachlines" livery.This photo was taken at the depot one December morning in 1985 after the Parlorcars Denning next to it had arrived from the Perth to Adelaide service in which I was one of 2 coach captains on that service.My first express service.
Denning 11.3 metre coach.fleet #18.Used mainly on tours.Was orginally part of the Quest Tours fleet prior to the purchase of the company by Max Winkless in 1985.Was repainted in "The Bus Company's-Across Australia Coachlines" livery.This photo was taken at the depot one December morning in 1985 after the Parlorcars Denning next to it had arrived from the Perth to Adelaide service in which I was one of 2 coach captains on that service.My first express service.
5.99 (792 x 548).jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 49238 times
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Another photos of a Comair bodied Bedford.This vehicle was sold by BusCoach Pty Ltd in 1985.It wasnt in the fleet when I worked there doing charter/tours mid 1985.Most other buses in the fleet and their school runs were sold off at the end of the school year in December 1985.The depot was very busy with buses up for sale and the 1st Bova being prepared for registration and put into service.
Attachments
This was a Lewis Bros step deck.It was in the Quest Tours fleet.It had been altered with various Tourmaster parts and panels and had a Leyland turbo engine.It was still in their fleet by late 1985.This photo taken at their Glynde dpot next to an AEC.
This was a Lewis Bros step deck.It was in the Quest Tours fleet.It had been altered with various Tourmaster parts and panels and had a Leyland turbo engine.It was still in their fleet by late 1985.This photo taken at their Glynde dpot next to an AEC.
2.10 (511 x 346).jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 48743 times
Bedford Comair,around 1985 around the time of the Max Winkless take over.
Bedford Comair,around 1985 around the time of the Max Winkless take over.
6.232 (714 x 506).jpg (82.36 KiB) Viewed 49140 times
Denv12

Re: The first imported Bova Futura

Post by Denv12 »

[quote="Centralian"]The Bus Company, trading as Across Australia Coachlines, imported a substantial number of DAF powered Bova Futura coaches for their interstae express operations. The first was in 1986 and was registered UTR 520. I captured the vehicle when it made one of it's first service
runs into Sydney.

This was the first Bova,#60.It had the downstairs toilet and bunk.The courier seat at the front.It did its first service to Perth from Adelaide on a Monday night in December at the start of school/xmas holidays.I was driving it to Perth every Monday night for about 4 weeks straight and I did the return service on Thursday nights.We had 36 hours off.Once it got back to Adelaide it 1 driver would stay on,the other got off and a new driver got on.The coach continued on to Melbourne leaving at 8am and arrived in Melbourne at 6.30pm and departed at 7pm for Sydney arriving at 6.30am the next morning.We would head back to Melbourne at 6pm,arrive in Melbourne 6.30am and leave melbourne for Adelaide at 8am.
Last edited by Denv12 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denv12

Re: The first imported Bova Futura

Post by Denv12 »

2.11 (516 x 358).jpg
2.11 (516 x 358).jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 48684 times
Here are some of my photos of this coach in 1985/86.
Attachments
6.174 (680 x 936).jpg
6.120_1313x992 (985 x 744).jpg
4.41_833x554.jpg
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

[quote="Centralian"]The Bus Company, trading as Across Australia Coachlines, imported a substantial number of DAF powered Bova Futura coaches for their interstate express operations. The first was in 1986 and was registered UTR 520. I captured the vehicle when it made one of it's first service
runs into Sydney.

I think #60 might have been the only one with the door at the rear and downstairs toilet and bunk.This could be #60 in its Bus Australia livery and re-registered.Can anyone verify that?
Last edited by Denv12 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

[quote="Centralian"]The Bus Company, trading as Across Australia Coachlines, imported a substantial number of DAF powered Bova Futura coaches for their interstate express operations. The first was in 1986 and was registered UTR 520. I captured the vehicle when it made one of it's first service
runs into Sydney.

The photo looks like it as take out the front of the Hampton Court Motel.We stayed there during the day after going out to BP Drummoyne for washing the coach,refuelling,etc.When we did the triangle we were only there for an hour before leaving during the week.If we ended up in Sydney on a Saturday we stayed overnight and continued on with the next service.
Last edited by Denv12 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Landseer
Favourite Vehicle: RFW trucks- Custom Hand built

Post by Landseer »

The parlorcar centre engine denning was the Perth Exmouth
express in the mid eighties
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

How many times can the one person quote & repost & quote the same pictures in ONE THREAD :shock: :shock: :evil:
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Landseer wrote:The parlorcar centre engine denning was the Perth Exmouth
express in the mid eighties
The coach shows the rear panel work of a rear engined coach plus the mid mount panel work.
The air conditioner must have fitted underneath too.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I'd like to make a suggestion here,for this post can we do one only Bova post covering all Bova related photos,etc and keep the Across Australia/Parlorcars/Quest Tours topic separate? Would that be a better solution? Who is the moderator(s) who can do that?
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

CAM01779 (676 x 507).jpg
CAM01779 (676 x 507).jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 48357 times
These were my senior coach captain epaulettes.Dating back to 1986.
Attachments
IMG.-000 (845 x 601).jpg
IMG_0001.-000 (845 x 598).jpg
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Somewhere in the history of Across Australia Coachlines was Ross Love. Was he the owner prior to Max Winkless buying the company?
Was Ross connected to guys who started up "Flight Centre"? I remember there were 3 Volvo coaches:1 x PMC-Adelaide 3 axle Apollo(possibly without a restroom), 1 x Domino Metroliner single axle (was sold to St.Agnes then ex Flynn's Buslines then damaged in an accident), and 1 x Howard Porter Volvo single axle as shown in the AAC bus timetable in this posting. Max had a friend Ross,in Sydney, who was his rally partner.What was his last name? What made Max get involved in the coach industry?
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

" The photo looks like it as take out the front of the Hampton Court Motel.We stayed there during the day after going out to BP Drummoyne for washing the coach,refuelling,etc.When we did the triangle we were only there for an hour before leaving during the week.If we ended up in Sydney on a Saturday we stayed overnight and continued on with the next service."

I took the photo in the Kings Cross / Potts Point area . Can't recall exact location.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Centralian wrote:" The photo looks like it as take out the front of the Hampton Court Motel.We stayed there during the day after going out to BP Drummoyne for washing the coach,refuelling,etc.When we did the triangle we were only there for an hour before leaving during the week.If we ended up in Sydney on a Saturday we stayed overnight and continued on with the next service."

I took the photo in the Kings Cross / Potts Point area . Can't recall exact location.
Thats Bayswater Road,Kings Cross. All Across Australia Coachlines drivers stayed there.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Going back in history to when the company was first founded.I heard that the people who started "Flight Centre" started the original Across Australia Coachlines.That was around 1980.Way before Max Winkless era.I'm not sure if the original company was based in Perth or not.They did run Volvo coaches. After its founder(s),was the next owner Ross Love? Was the business then based in Perth? Where was their depot and terminus? From there then Max Winkless becomes the owner of both AAC and also Parlorcars in Perth. The Howard Porter Volvo goes back to the start as per the photo on their timetable.It was repainted red,white and blue.I drove it once on AAC exppress in Feb 1986. I remember the Domino Metroliner as it was used for charter painted in the red,white and blue livery as well.(it was sold off with other Quest Tours buses. In 1982 (or 1983) when I was Perth bound I did see the PMC Volvo 3 axle coach on the Nullabor in its white with brown striped livery.It must have been repainted at some point from its Adelaide "Dial a Bus" livery.

Whats the history of Perth Parlorcars? Who founded the original company? And,when? What vehicles did they use? Was their depot always in Belmont just off the Great Eastern Hwy? And where was their terminus? Was it in the city?
If you can help out with further information,that would be greatly appreciated.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Denv12 wrote: Whats the history of Perth Parlorcars? Who founded the original company? And,when? ...
Started 24/10/64 as Parlorcars Interstate Tours (WA) as a joint venture between A P (Percy) Withers and Jack Norman, who was managing partner in Perth. When Percy liquidated the company and sold the assets in 1967, Jack Norman bought his share - which was just as well. Parlorcars in Perth was the only part of a once Australia wide network that continued beyond 1971 (eventually de-registered in 2006). The rest became Panther Tours with an even bigger liquidation and bankruptcy and eventually folded a couple of years later. Percy Withers started Parlor Cars in the early 30s. At the time, the Withers family was also running Pioneer with Percy as manager. I am currently writing the history of Parlorcars which will feature in the Xmas Special of Australian Bus Panorama. It is the magazine of the Bus and Coach Society of Victoria and is published 7 times per year and is included (posted) in the membership fee of $55 or $40 (students under 25 and concession card holders).

http://bcsv.org.au/membership/

As to the other parts of the question, I'll leave it to someone from WA to answer those.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Thanks system improver for your reply.
Thats an incredible history of the company. We knew people in Adelaide who serviced their vehicles during the 1960s on Port Road Woodville I think. I drove some of Parlorcars coaches when I did express and tours in 1985-86 during the Max Winkless era.
Good luck with your feature article.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Its interesting to see the Across Australia Coachlines from 1985 onwards livery compared to the Bus Australia livery.Dont know why they changed it,there's very little difference.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

There is some history of AAC on this post:

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 2#p1015182
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I just started a facebook group catering for Across Australia Coachlines,Quest Tours,Parlorcars,Dial a bus/Coachlines of Australia(SA),Bus Australia,etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1511749922206353/
Joshro

Post by Joshro »

Thanks for that very comprehensive history on AAC and Bus Australia. I know this thread is old, but it brought back some memories.! I was involved seasonally with AAC/Quest Tours in Adelaide and drove for them during their end of year/new year period when they went to a daily service. (I drove for Briscoe's and was there when they merged with BA.) Re the Ansair Mercedes . I seem to remember that it broke down near the Fowler's Bay turnoff on the western side of Ceduna. I believe it had about 320,000 km on the odometer. It was towed back to Ceduna, where it was re-powered under warranty with a new motor. In fact, I was sent to Ceduna as a passenger in a west bound High deck Volgren to drive it back to Adelaide. To relieve the boredom I played 'The Man from Snowy River' on the video.. In the late 90s my (then) wife and I did a mine tour at Tom Price. I reckon the coach was the one in Parlourcars Livery in the photos.. The driver on that tour was surprised that I recognised it, and verified that it had been in the Parlourcars fleet... Ah, the memories.... Josh

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”