Hino RC520P PXB.289 {photo added}

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Hino RC520P PXB.289 {photo added}

Post by leopard1543 »

PXB.289 - Just wondering if anyone would have a current photo of this Hino that they could post. I've found a photo that I took of it myself back in November, 1972 when it was only a few months old. I checked up the fleet lists and was surprised to see it still listed as registered.

Here's my November, 1972 photo of the Hino. Sorry for the poor quality but this was taken with my 126 Instamatic and I was only 13 at the time :!:
Bring back the Leopards!
BT-Otto
Favourite Vehicle: Brisbane Transport B7's

Re: Hino RC520P PXB.289 {photo added}

Post by BT-Otto »

I know that bus !

It was one of my all time favorites to drive. I love that bus.. I drove it from 1982 ex Bayside Buses Cleveland Depot till it was sold to Deacons.

I believe the bus was scrapped whilst at Deacons.

Last edited by BT-Otto on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

Post by Hornibrook »

There's no way it's still in service - and probably hasn't been since at least the late 90s.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

BT-Otto is right.

However, amazingly it is still on the road, -albeit only the engine.

This and another were purchased by Deacons and leased back (big mistake)when Bayside was in deep financial dodos.
This bus seized the engine/gearbox on the way back from Terranora Lakes Country Club and was parked up in the back paddock for a rest.
Haidleys around 1997 bought the bus as a wreck and onsold the engine to a guy with a Hino race car transporter. He found the gearbox had seized and was a simple fix.
I found this out later when he became a good mate through other circles.

I will endeavour to find out about the other one later today and know i will get again the whole demise of Bayside and how Don Lane the then Transport Minister cancelled a contracted sale and arranged for another purchaser to enter the market.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Thanks for replies & photo! I thought that this Hino might of been gone by now. 1972 was a long time ago and for a bus to survive on the coast for this many years would of been amazing. I will tell fleet lists that it has now been withdrawn and to remove it from the record.
Bring back the Leopards!
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

So when you first photographed it, it belonged to Dick Hazell?

"Fleet Lists" did respond to you as Hornibrook, so no doubt he would have seen that an update was required. Just extremely unusual that he hadn't updated it, as there had been previous discussion re this bus, back in march last year.
Unfortunately sometimes though, there are some glaring errors in the information provided in there. It is difficult to maintain all the info contained as being up to date and accurate.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

In my official capacity as Fleet Lists Moderator, I'm sure you will all note with interest that the Redlands Bus Service list in particular is a historical listing - first uploaded in 2009 from (I think) a Fleet Line publication from the late 70s or 80s.

One day I'll get around to turning it into a proper fleet list, with subsequent disposals. But until then it should be fairly obvious that none of these vehicles would still be operational in QLD due to their age.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Interesting to note that even in my early November, 1972 photo that the fleet number 15 can been seen to the left just above the windscreen. Must of been #15 all its life. Back in those days I only took Government Buses (we had just moved from Sydney to Brisbane in August, 1972) so this photo was a rare one for me to take. Glad I did though :!:
Bring back the Leopards!
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

Trev Deacon told me this evening that when 15 was 2 weeks old it turned up at his Ney Rd Capalaba farm and speaking with the driver he found out that it swayed going around corners. A couple of his kids then hopped on the bus to go to School.
There were two previous purchases of the Bayside fleet made long before 15 became available to him.

Also some Bayside buses were sold to Hunters Hill (to be verified) and wasn' till they sent someone down to pick up some new purchases from down that way they found they had bought their old buses back again.
BT-Otto

Post by BT-Otto »

Maladjusted wrote:Trev Deacon told me this evening that when 15 was 2 weeks old it turned up at his Ney Rd Capalaba farm and speaking with the driver he found out that it swayed going around corners.
I can't agree with the bolded part. #15 was not only a very nice unit to drive, but it also felt solid on the road. However, you needed to keep in mind that its brakes were not the most reliable.
Could Trev have been thinking of #14. ( I don't remember Trev as having bought #14 )

#14 was nicknamed the Rock'N'roll Bus. It swayed terribly from side to side with many drivers complaining they felt sea sick driving it. I had quite a bit of fun driving #14 and was known to ever so slightly rock the steering wheel as I drove along. The Pax just thought it was the bus, which it was, but I just 'helped it' sway just that little bit more ! :lol:

noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

Post by Maladjusted »

Its possible he was thinking about 14, yesterday wasn't such a great day for the immediate family. Through the day things and buses were talked about reflectively had changed slightly. Mind you we are talking about 40 years ago in regards to these 2.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Having grown up with Australia's largest fleet of RC520Ps (127 of them), it was probably both of them that swayed! When the first batch was delivered to Redcliffe Depot, there were reports that the connies were booking off with motion sickness. Even more modern Hinos with air suspension can be a touch unnerving, especially if you having been driving an RG for a long time beforehand - but at least they don't squeak constantly.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
MrSheaQuinn

Post by MrSheaQuinn »

Quick question, are those seatbelts fitted on those buses or just shadows from the windows?

I remember in primary school catching Bayside highfloors to school but never remember them having seatbelts. Mind you this was only a few years before Bayside became National.
DENAIR
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING DENAIR

Post by DENAIR »

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-8827

seen in 1989 when with Deacons Coaches
cheers pete 8)
BT-Otto

Post by BT-Otto »

MrSheaQuinn wrote:Quick question, are those seatbelts fitted on those buses or just shadows from the windows?
Just shadows from the window pillars/frames.
Last edited by BT-Otto on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

Post by Bedford-29 »

Actually they look like curtains to me.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

The previous 3rd photo of 15 has the shadows of the upper middle vertical and middle horizontal bars showing on the people inside. Funny to see the door wide open, even in both those 2nd & 3rd shots, these days you almost wouldn't dare to leave the door open at all, or did the photographer jump out to take the picture Mr BT-Otto?

Bedford 29 the curtains are showing in the Thornlands depot last photo by Denair however I think they were talking about the Bayside No3 picture. Thanks Denair for a great picture, when i first saw her she was down the back in the long grass- very unloved.

The problem with Hino air bags on these earlier models was that the air bags were directly under the chassis rail mounted to the axle, so the amount of leverage by the outer body of the bus would move a great deal and the air bag would not absorb that movement. The only way to combat it is put a huge sway bar on or move the bags out to the sides of the bus.

Denair do you have more photos from your visit there in 87, as now there are all display homes right on the spot that this bus sits.
DENAIR
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING DENAIR

Post by DENAIR »

will scan more deacon shots soon
cheers denair
BT-Otto

Post by BT-Otto »

Maladjusted wrote:The previous 3rd photo of 15 has the shadows of the upper middle vertical and middle horizontal bars showing on the people inside. Funny to see the door wide open, even in both those 2nd & 3rd shots, these days you almost wouldn't dare to leave the door open at all, or did the photographer jump out to take the picture Mr BT-Otto?
It was quite common to leave the front door open right up to the early 80's. In fact, in 1982 when I commenced working at Bayside, there were still buses in service that had no front door at all, but only used as spares due to their age.
Similar to the bus pictured.
Engine beside driver. Manual pre-select gearstick. Push clutch pedal when ready to engage gear. ( Not to be confused with a standard manual gearbox )
Actually, come to think of it, it worked very similar to a CAG gearbox but without the gear lights.
noʎ ɹɐǝu snq BT ɐ uı

Return to “Photos - Brisbane/Qld”