Who Is Australias Best Cricketer?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

S Barrett
Favourite Vehicle: Bombardier

Who Is Australias Best Cricketer?

Post by S Barrett »

With the Ashes in full flow, who do you reckon, alive or dead, is Australias best cricketer? My vote would go to Steve Waugh. He was as cold as ice out at the crease and played like a man possessed whenever he wore the famous Baggy Green. Australia could do with a few Steve Waughs at the moment.
Andrew
Administrator

Re: Who Is Australias Best Cricketer?

Post by Andrew »

Definitely Steve Waugh - I still have a photo of him up at my desk from his innings at The Oval in 2001 when he played with a torn calf muscle but still one-leggged it to 157 not out.
Job done.
S Barrett

Post by S Barrett »

Andrew wrote:Definitely Steve Waugh - I still have a photo of him up at my desk from his innings at The Oval in 2001 when he played with a torn calf muscle but still one-leggged it to 157 not out.

His back to back centuries during the 1997 Ashes Series in Old Trafford were two outstanding knocks as well. I read his autobiography ( nearly 800 pages ) and it is a brilliant book. I read somewhere that his brother Mark got the nickname " Afghanistan " because he is known as the forgotten Waugh :lol: h.

He was a tough nugget as well when he was at the crease.
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

Hard to go past Sir Donald Bradman with a Test batting average of 99.94 - he was a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.

Bowler - probably Shane Warne, I guess.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

Yup Steve Waugh. My memory will always be of his 10,000th test run. Crowding around Nanna's old tube TV watching the awful country TV signal. Then watching him a few runs later take out a century :-) Adam Gilchrist was the other batsmen from memory.
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
S Barrett

Post by S Barrett »

The Don was a class act alright. Would he have been as good in the modern game though?

As for Warne, his off field shenanigans put me off him and we wont mention the drugs scandal that he was enbroiled in.
S Barrett

Post by S Barrett »

England 28 - 3 already. Maybe the Aussie bowlers got a nice pep talk from the Queen. :D :D
scott

Post by scott »

We just got thrashed in the Second test, to the tune of 347 runs, the sixth loss of a test match in a row.
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

S Barrett wrote:The Don was a class act alright. Would he have been as good in the modern game though?

As for Warne, his off field shenanigans put me off him and we wont mention the drugs scandal that he was enbroiled in.
Bradman would have been as good in ANY era. Unmatched natural talent and leadership.

I agree with you about Warne. Blaming his mother for taking an illegal substance was a very low act, and the man spends more time looking in the mirror than he does breathing, but for sheer bowling talent he was unsurpassed.
S Barrett

Post by S Barrett »

scott wrote:We just got thrashed in the Second test, to the tune of 347 runs, the sixth loss of a test match in a row.

Is this the best squad of players available for selection or are there more that could be called up? My view is that this is a team of individuals instead of team players. The ongoing row between Watson and Clarke is just adding to the problem.

Yesterday Ian Botham mentioned that Glenn Mc Grath, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Dennis Lillee, Merv Hughes, Jeff Thompson and one or two other ex players were at Lords either commentating or watching the game. He also said that these ex players would put up a better fight than the current players.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

None of the current players are close to being our greatest
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

I'm sure that if Steve Waugh put his pads on over his street-clothes and went out and faced up he would do much better than half the current team's "finest" batsmen.
S Barrett

Post by S Barrett »

Peter1805 wrote:I'm sure that if Steve Waugh put his pads on over his street-clothes and went out and faced up he would do much better than half the current team's "finest" batsmen.

I reckon his stare alone would frighten the bejaysus out of the English bowlers. Has there ever been so much disharmony in an Australian touring party? Certain players seem to have no respect for the Baggy Green whatsoever. Am I wrong in saying this??
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Shane Warne - Holder for most international wickets for australia.
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

NOT Clark
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

CCCC wrote:NOT Clark
Good Call. Maybe Travis Head?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

At the moment it's probably the fat kid from hey dad.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

It's me... *gulp*
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

I guess the question today becomes "who's the best of a sad and sorry lot?"

One thing I'm sure about is the whole lot of them need taking down a peg or two, in order to understand that those humongous million dollars per year salaries have to be earned.....they're not paid just to show up at the stadium.

Most folks, when they screw up constantly at their job to the point of bringing their employer and industry into disrepute, are sacked.

How much longer do these very privileged individuals get to continue operating within a set of rules entirely different from the rest of society?
scott

Post by scott »

Joe the cameraman is now proven right.

Can't bowl, can't throw.

I know a bunch of 12 year olds who play interschool cricket, who will do a much better job.

Return to “The Lunch Room”