DENNING DUAL TAG COACHES

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
eaglemarko5
Favourite Vehicle: Silver eagle model 05

DENNING DUAL TAG COACHES

Post by eaglemarko5 »

IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg (167.42 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
DSC00220.jpg
DSC00220.jpg (127.94 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
DSC00225.jpg
DSC00225.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg (149.63 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
F1040022.jpg
F1040022.jpg (160.02 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
DSC00183.jpg
DSC00183.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
DSC00246.jpg
DSC00246.jpg (139.08 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
jonwendes
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer ex TRC #38

Re: DENNING DUAL TAG COACHES

Post by jonwendes »

Here's one from the late '90's...
Jumbo.jpg
Jumbo.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 9192 times
Kangaroo Island Explorer Tours Denning Jumbo build #1066 ex Ventura
A 6V92TA Silver 350 @ 2000rpm... The ULTIMATE aural orgasam!
If it don't blow black, take it back! Detroit Diesel
Please LIKE us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BRUGeorgeTown
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

Was there any ever built with 6v92's
or any 8v92's replaced with 6v92's and left with the dual.
STA 1440
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Post by STA 1440 »

Were these bogie drive, or was only one axle powered?
CCCC

Post by CCCC »

STA 1440 wrote:Were these bogie drive, or was only one axle powered?
Only seen them as dual tag set up for extra weigh distribution for the added weight
for the 8v92.
jonwendes

Post by jonwendes »

The Jumbo (pictured above) that I drove on KI was a 6v92T and only a single drive with a dual tyred tag.

It was well suited to bush operations. Back then most of the roads on KI were iron stone dirt roads.
That coach once waded through flood water that was lapping the base of the windscreen and filled the doorway to the top step!
It was seriously DEEP! The motor was literally submerged for about 5 minutes while driving about 500m.
It never missed a beat.
You can't beat a Denning in the bush!
User7526

Post by User7526 »

There was a custom built Mono back in the early '80s for a single coach operator working out in the centre and it was a bogie drive job just as much as being a mid-mount as well. I can't remember his name but the coach got rebuilt after 10 years and was still going strong for another 10, Denning were asked to do a bogie drive Landseer for him but they wouldn't agree.

Peta.
CCCC

Post by CCCC »

jonwendes wrote:The Jumbo (pictured above) that I drove on KI was a 6v92T and only a single drive with a dual tyred tag.

It was well suited to bush operations. Back then most of the roads on KI were iron stone dirt roads.
That coach once waded through flood water that was lapping the base of the windscreen and filled the doorway to the top step!
It was seriously DEEP! The motor was literally submerged for about 5 minutes while driving about 500m.
It never missed a beat.
Do you think she may have had an 8v92 originally as it looks like the rear bin air grills
are set up for it where as the 6v92 usually just had a single bin air grill.
jonwendes

Post by jonwendes »

As far as I know it was always a 6v92T Green Motor rated to 335HP.
However, I have no Idea as to what it might have been at Ventura.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Peta mechanic wrote:

There was a custom built Mono back in the early '80s for a single coach operator working out in the centre and it was a bogie drive job just as much as being a mid-mount as well. I can't remember his name but the coach got rebuilt after 10 years and was still going strong for another 10, Denning were asked to do a bogie drive Landseer for him but they wouldn't agree.

Peta.

Sundowner. Bill and Doreen Hand.
CCCC

Post by CCCC »

Sundowner. Bill and Doreen Hand.[/quote]

Did sundowner have spider rims.
eaglemarko5

Post by eaglemarko5 »

In regards to the Sundowner unit yes it did have spider rims also coach was remanufactured to landseer looklile version
which was done in the mid 1990s just like most older dennings and australs coaches.

Truckandbus mag and denning ran articles in the 1980s.
CCCC

Post by CCCC »

eaglemarko5 wrote:In regards to the Sundowner unit yes it did have spider rims also coach was remanufactured to landseer looklile version
which was done in the mid 1990s just like most older dennings and australs coaches.

Truckandbus mag and denning ran articles in the 1980s.
I have a pic of one of their mono's getting a new front roof header put on after an accident
think it was taken about 1986 so would have only been a few years old.

Unable to scan to this site as it wants a downsize which I have found impossible to do.
If anyone wants to shoot me a (PM) with email address I'm happy for someone else to post.
Does not show the tag set up but could be a 8v92 as it shows air grills in the 2nd bins
from the front which looks like the genset placement. however does show the front spider rims.
Landseer
Favourite Vehicle: RFW trucks- Custom Hand built

Post by Landseer »

Also Greyhound W.A. had some bogie drive GM671 centre engine on air
also an operator in Perth had an early Denning coach bogie drive with a Mack diffs & Camelback spring suspension.

Sundowner Coach Tours Sydney was Bill & Doreen Hand. Sundonwer Coach (below photo) at the Coach show when new 8V71n later it ended up with a 8V92T and roof mounted radiator and on Super Single tyres also this coach crossed the Simpson Desert west to east in 1984 approx and went completly air bourn over a sand dune, (See a Denning add in T & TB mag)
Sundower.jpg
Sundower.jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 8788 times
User7526

Post by User7526 »

[quote="Landseer"]Also Greyhound W.A. had some bogie drive GM671 centre engine on air
also an operator in Perth had an early Denning coach bogie drive with a Mack diffs & Camelback spring suspension.

Sundowner Coach Tours Sydney was Bill & Doreen Hand. Sundonwer Coach (below photo) at the Coach show when new 8V71n later it ended up with a 8V92T and roof mounted radiator and on Super Single tyres also this coach crossed the Simpson Desert west to east in 1984 approx and went completly air bourn over a sand dune, (See a Denning add in T & TB mag)
[quote="Landseer"]

That's the one I was thinking of, thanks for the pictures!!!

Peta.
eaglemarko5

Post by eaglemarko5 »

To landseer post about the mack bogie dennings here is a photo of greyhound 312 in a yard in brisbane around 1994.
IMG258.jpg
IMG258.jpg (180.34 KiB) Viewed 8702 times
sydney heads

Post by sydney heads »

Hi Eaglemarko5,
Wow- look at them Greyhound stripes!
Great shot! But even more than that to me because of the two coloured coaches on the right hand side of this image.

Years ago when working for the DMR on the Federal Highway, I would see these Greyhound coaches Canberra-bound, and although I
always intended to photograph them, just never got around to it.
I have searched the net high and low, and this is the only photo I have come across in which the colour scheme is shown.
My memory is a bit wonky these days and I can't recall the lettering on them.

Does anyone have shots of them, or know of a link. It was a colour scheme I loved.
I would also like to know the model and type of coach, if anyone can enlighten me.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Was there only one Sundowner coach? If so, it has been saved by Pick of the Crop Coach Tours in Sydney.
greenie

Post by greenie »

There was another Denning Den Air Jumbo, that actually had a full bogie drive fitted into it -- NO tag -- a full bogie drive.

It belonged to Phil Dixon from Down Under Tours at Strathpine, Qld, the bogie drive was swiped from a Kenworth and it was on full air bag suspension. This coach was mainly used for the outback safari tours, it was set-up with all the camping gear and had everything that was needed of a month out on tour.

His coaches were painted very similar to Deluxe, and he would dry them to Deluxe when Deluxe were short of vehicles, sometimes one of Down Under's drivers would be grabbed to don the Deluxe epaulets to do a service as well.

regards Greenie :mrgreen:
Landseer

Post by Landseer »

Was it rear engine ????? with KW 8 bag sus??? 5 of the Ansett Pioneer RFW's had KW 8 bag sus fitted to them

only centre engine for bogie drive!!!!

Photo of it Down under coach in qld section you spoke off
Down%20Under%20Denning%201989.jpg
Down%20Under%20Denning%201989.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 7960 times
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

I drove Coachtrans 168 during the Olympics. What a beast it was! 8V92 and a 5 speed Fuller. Brilliant! No prizes for the first one being ex-Wollongong Coaches, and 207 at McCaff's was a beautiful coach.
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

CCCC wrote:
jonwendes wrote:The Jumbo (pictured above) that I drove on KI was a 6v92T and only a single drive with a dual tyred tag.

It never missed a beat.
Do you think she may have had an 8v92 originally as it looks like the rear bin air grills
are set up for it where as the 6v92 usually just had a single bin air grill.
Ventura bought it as a stock unit or at least a cancelled order elsewhere, it had a 6v92 from new to them, whether it was changed while in build is something only a Denning person would know, but the original specification sheet issued with the Coach indicates 6v92 was the power plant from build.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
greenie

Post by greenie »

Landseer wrote:Was it rear engine ????? with KW 8 bag sus??? 5 of the Ansett Pioneer RFW's had KW 8 bag sus fitted to them

only centre engine for bogie drive!!!!

Photo of it Down under coach in qld section you spoke off
Down%20Under%20Denning%201989.jpg

That's the one, never thought I would ever see it again, thank's for the pic.

From memory, it was rear engined 8V71, and the full bogie drive and suspension was 'swiped out of a KW', pretty sure it was Phil Dixon, who had the bogey drive fitted into it, along with quite a few other mods, to do the camping safaris.

The suspension was operated by a couple of height valves only, just one on each side, not one on each axle, how I know this, is because the left hand side actuating arm had dropped the bolt holding it together and the left rear end just went straight down, whilst the coach was going around a right hander, interesting to say the least, trying to keep it upright in that situation. A real quick fix and on the way again in about 15 mins.
It had an electric fan fitted to the radiator shroud, now when that thing turned on, it sounded like a German Brass Band had just fired up down in the bowels, wow, it was sure noisy.
Going west from Emerald, there is a bit of a range you have to climb to get to Alpha, that range is just a bit west of Bogantungan, doing the slow crawl up that lot and that fan kicked in.
There was the other driver trying to get a bit of shut-eye in the bunk, be buggered if I can remember his name, well, when that fan fired up, he exploded out of the bunk and rushed down the front to see what had gone wrong. I knew the fan had kicked in, as there was this big red light that came on, and under it was the word FAN, the noise was a bit of a give away too.
Seems he'd driven this jigger quite a few times, and that was the first time, he'd ever heard the fan kick in.

A good vehicle on a straight road, just had to be a tad cautious on quick curves, as it did tend to sway around and try to lay over a bit.

Landseer

Post by Landseer »

Never seen a Denning rear engine bogie drive
To my mind there is not enought overhang lenght even with a 6 inch (150mm) tail shatf and 10 foot (3.7 m) rear overhang limit of that build time.
Stand to be corected and would love to see the specs
Rod Hood may know of any in this set up

All Mono Denair sus - justed looked at a corner and fel over

RFW played with the idea (As a second Chester Coaches Australian Explorer 6x6 ) and on one chassis (spare Ansett Pioneer chassis for New Zealand -cancelled order part way thou build) set up a rear engine bogie drive but needed a contrarotating transfer case mounted in the centre of chassis forward of diffs to allow Aust overhang limits and proper tailshaft angles & lenghts

Rehards
Mark
greenie

Post by greenie »

Could very well have been a mid mount motor, it was a long time ago and quite a few 'greys cells' have departed the scenery, never to be replaced again.

Can remember about the bogie drive and suspension though, as when we were trying to fix up the air suspension actuating arm, the other driver was rather proud of the fact that the 'bogie drive rear end and suspension', was out of a KW.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”