SCOOP! Bustech double decker

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Maladjusted

Re: SCOOP! Bustech double decker

Post by Maladjusted »

Looks like a great new design for Australia!

Congratulations to Bustech and Translink, wow, you kept it quiet!!! Great spotting Bunza, too

Bit hard to tell from the photo, are the front wheels smaller dia than the drive?
This would help with less intrusion inside and allow more weight be put on the front axle combination.
The older Volgren Q Twin decks needed a tonne in the rear to help keep the weight off the steer.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
Gday

Post by Gday »

[quote="MaladjustedThe older Volgren Q Twin decks needed a tonne in the rear to help keep the weight off the steer.[/quote]

Do you mean, they loaded the arse end up with ahem.... Ballast, so to speak?
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Congratulations and credit to the Australian family-owned Bustech for sure - great concept and I hope it pays dividends in sales over the next few years. I understand there is two of these made? One on trial for Translink and one as a Bustech demonstrator (ie. it will come down to Sydney in October for the bus show?).

To the people whining about the twin steer arrangement not looking "as good" as a tag - get a grip! Bustech have obviously done the sums and in a bid to save weight while complying with axle load limits, have developed the twin steer as the best option. It looks fine to me.... It is an unusual combination sure, not really seen since the VAL Bedford and UD trucks of the 80s. It looks like the engine/trans and a/c are all at the rear. Complying with national axle limits would have been central to its design parameters. I am not aware that the bus requires any special dispensation from state registration bodies at this stage for being over the limit on any axle.
Job done.
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

I'm sure the punters will see it, think the bus was built backwards by mistake and put it down to the state government and Translink being incompetent :lol: :roll:
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Andrew wrote: To the people whining about the twin steer arrangement not looking "as good" as a tag - get a grip! Bustech have obviously done the sums and in a bid to save weight while complying with axle load limits, have developed the twin steer as the best option. It looks fine to me.... It is an unusual combination sure, not really seen since the VAL Bedford and UD trucks of the 80s. It looks like the engine/trans and a/c are all at the rear. Complying with national axle limits would have been central to its design parameters. I am not aware that the bus requires any special dispensation from state registration bodies at this stage for being over the limit on any axle.
here here
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The front end treatment with the curved structural struts gives it a vey Asian/Chinese appearance. 8)

How would it look in TNSW livery. :?: :lol:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tammorice

Post by tammorice »

It's a Bustech chassis. Seats 96.
Only an old busy would think to revamp the twin steer to overcome our outdated weight limits!
And they have done it without the need for any permits.

LOVE IT!
thommo

Post by thommo »

the translink one will be use on TX2 services on the gold coast.
IF you think the outside likes good, wait to you see the inside.Many new features that look great :D
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

That is an amazing looking bus! I agree with what others are saying though, it would look better with a tag-axle instead of twin steering.

I wonder what it'd look like if they'd kept the XDi/VST headlights though... :o

Thanks,
Mitchul [;
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

thommo wrote:the translink one will be use on TX2 services on the gold coast.
IF you think the outside likes good, wait to you see the inside.Many new features that look great :D
Near perfect use for it - although I would prefer to see how it goes on regular track work up and down the highway.
Elvis has left the building!
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Is there any Media report of the bus online ?
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
swtt

Post by swtt »

Queensland knows what's the right type of bus. Time for NSW to wake up!!!
Simes

Post by Simes »

swtt wrote:Queensland knows what's the right type of bus. Time for NSW to wake up!!!
Horses for courses - this would suit the M2 runs down to the ground and other routes where you get a heap of passengers, then drive for a length of time and start disgorging em - not a route where you have a high turn over through out the route

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

SM247 wrote:
Nerdbus wrote:Could they have found an uglier shade of green if they tried?
Yes. It is currently on around 200-300 buses floating around here... :mrgreen:
Are you talking about the green in the Translink logo?

Thumbs up overall and similarly cannot wait to see inside. I have to wonder on cost vs modification to other chassis, and if our vehicle loading limits are an issue then why are we so out of step with say UK or HK?

For use on Sydney roads, it would have to be a compelling argument presumably on cost. But at 96 seats versus 52 in the Volvo Artics (what a joke), it surely wouldn't be a hard-one to win.
Simes

Post by Simes »

1115 wrote: Thumbs up overall and similarly cannot wait to see inside. I have to wonder on cost vs modification to other chassis, and if our vehicle loading limits are an issue then why are we so out of step with say UK or HK?
Bustech have started to build their own chassis - they have done this with the XDi and MDi for a few years now, so modifying other chassis isn't really an issue here (I'd think you'll find the other recently produced decker also has a in house chassis)
Our loading limits are all to do with geology (when will people get that thru their skulls?)
1115 wrote: For use on Sydney roads, it would have to be a compelling argument presumably on cost.
I can see these going up the M2
1115 wrote: But at 96 seats versus 52 in the Volvo Artics (what a joke), it surely wouldn't be a hard-one to win.
The new artics are designed for routes where people travel short distances, hence why Waverley and Leichhardt have them and the elder euro 3 B12BLEA with 64 seats have gone north/stayed at Ryde

The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

I wonder if we will ever see a Bustech 14.5m, the LDi :P
Has AdMet CB80 fever
On Air
Favourite Vehicle: cyclops pedal tipper c1966

Post by On Air »

Don't forget everyone-Deckers won't work in Sydney.
On 16 March 1870, bushranger Harry Power and Ned Kelly stuck up and robbed Mr M'Bean! Out of time, Bean?
User7526

Post by User7526 »

It's not a Denning but it's still very nice indeed.

Peta.
User7526

Post by User7526 »

And what's wrong with it being a twin steer? The Bedford VALs were a nice looking vehicle and they had their share of supporters too. Something different is always good!
Set Down Only
Favourite Vehicle: Surfside 332

Post by Set Down Only »

And doesn't everyone think these things have a reason?
Express - Set Down Only.
Joined the 1000 club 8/7/11
Bus models - stevesmodelbuses@yahoo.com

'I Did Double Decker Day 1'
Bustech Boy
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech CDI

Post by Bustech Boy »

Mmmm Yes!
Formerly VolvoB7RLE

BUSTECH- PROUDLY AUSTRALIAN

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/VolvoB7RLE/
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Well I can`t see what is wrong with Goliath and its twin steer layout.But this is for example if AC Transit in San Pablo in Brazil can use a twin steer single deck with single drive axle at the back.And would be the same length as Goliath I can`t see were a D/D twin steer version can go wrong.I am unsure were this picture came from but credit to the owner.
Attachments
AC TRANSIT SAN PABLO TWIN STEER HYBRID BUS
AC TRANSIT SAN PABLO TWIN STEER HYBRID BUS
AC Transit San Pablo Brazil Twin steer hybrid bus..jpg (121.21 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
ABM@Starliner

Post by ABM@Starliner »

Is this bus being officially referred to as Goliath now?
MMTB renamed.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

No.
Living in the Shire.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Heard on the grape vine the following.

- The twin steer axles are the front are for weight reasons, mainly because it has a bigger seating capacity than the Denning Decker - eg. more bums on seats = more weight.
- Chassis and body is integral and named the "CDi" as posted above somewhere.
- Has a Cummins ISL e5 Engine with a ZF gearbox.
- The engine, gearbox and diff centre are off to the near side, to enable low floor entry to the back seat.
- Wheelchair entry through both the front and back doors.
- Has a total seated capacity of 96, with 63 on top, leaving 33 down stairs.
- This decker was built for Surfside & Translink and to be operated on their services, hence the livery. There's a second one in build that'll be at the Busvic Conference very soon!

For a comparison with the Denning Decker. It also has a Cummins ISL engine - not sure of the detailed specs, but the first one has a total seating capacity of 70 (15 down, 55 up) - these are coach seats compared to the urban seating arrangement in the Bustech decker.

The next few deckers Denning are building will be 80-pax school buses (iirc) - replacing the Volgren DD's @ Thompson's

Really gotta take your hat off to both companies, who are building great, quality vehicles and I and many others hope they take off with many operators.

Return to “Photos - Brisbane/Qld”