Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Industry

Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Post by Industry »

Sitting with some other bus nuts tonight discussing photos etc on the board, and the subject of ex National Operator Redline Coaches surfaced that their has been no photos posted of this interesting operator.

Denning bodied Commers with other bodies I believe by Watt, Hedges etc.

Maybe some of our older members may have some they could post.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Post by Mr Scania »

Just looking through a photo album of my fathers on a 59 day around Australia tour with Redline Coaches in 1964. This tour was done with four coaches.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I'm sure there is many people whom would love to see some of these, and even of your family business over the years from Grafton to Sydney today.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

As a old Redline coach driver I would love to see some perhaps...perhaps I may be in it
Guy Arab
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Laurie Macbeth, Amos Smith, Brad Franklin and Ray Collins were the drivers.
Dial 000
Favourite Vehicle: UTA Mercedes 0305 1936

Post by Dial 000 »

:D Wow, certainly some intersting comments here regarding a long gone operation. Boy, things were different back then in regard to interstate travel. I do remember the Denning bodied Commers well. Pretty sure one ended up with Scholes in Newcastle and also, (could be same vehicle), with Murphy Newcastle. I do hope someone has photos to put up of this interesting operation!
The "Green lines", sorting the men from the boys!
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Glenn

I thank you for the updates I'm sure that their is many oldies and some of the young ones would be interested in seeing more photos fo your fathers operation.

I personally can remember using his service from the terminal /garage in William Street Kings Cross which was a car dealership with wooden floor
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Hi Glenn

Thanks for this first hand account of your dad's story so far. I have recently received John Masterton's folder on Redline (he was a bus enthusiast and operator who passed away about 14 years ago), but it really only begins in the 60s, with photographs of Redline vehicles when they came to Melbourne, where John lived. I'll add them when the time is right as the history unfolds.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Hi S.I.
I appreciate your comments very much. And I look forward to seeing your posts of John's material in due course. Most of my photographic records are on slide transparencies, and I'm in the process of finally having them transferred to disc.
There will be more of the Redline story coming soon.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

system improver wrote:Hi Glenn

Thanks for this first hand account of your dad's story so far. I have recently received John Masterton's folder on Redline (he was a bus enthusiast and operator who passed away about 14 years ago), but it really only begins in the 60s, with photographs of Redline vehicles when they came to Melbourne, where John lived. I'll add them when the time is right as the history unfolds.
Looking forward as an old Redline driver I remember well Melbourne as we parked our Coaches in Parloutcars Depot and met Pappy Withers Owner of Parlourcars, I went on to work for him.
Guy Arab
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

So I'd suppose you'd know the bloke down in my Signature all too well???

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Looselion wrote:Yep Guy Arab, and I can remember a number of Parlourcars units (usually always Freighter bodies on AEC's) parked at Redline's depot in Brisbane during those years. Rex and Pappy had a reciprocal deal going on until the advent of the new Redline terminal/depot at 667 Bourke Street, Melbourne.
Of course Pappy was one of the old stagers, having way earlier sold the Pioneer name to Reg Ansett.
Great to read your comments as a past Redline driver!!

I hope you're keeping well!
I still drive a couple of days a week and of cource looking after my pride MAN SL 240
Memorys of early sixties was a great time looking forward to photos if possible
Guy Arab
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Here are a few starters from the John Masterton Collection.

Here is a Truck and Bus Transportation photo of a Shuttlewood* bodied Tiger Cub. I wonder if this is No. 8 or 9:

Now, one of the Watt bodied Commers, either No. 11 or 12:

Then a couple of the Watt bodied Tiger Cubs from 1958, first No. 10*:

Then number 14:

*Edited as per corrections in subsequent post.
Last edited by system improver on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Incredible. I am amazed. Thanks for sharing an industry long gone. To hear the stories at dinner from my housemate and now actually see some photos of them... It puts it into a new perspective- things were different then. Thanks Ray, Thankyou Glenn.

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Keep em coming this great
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”