Bunnings stocktake

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Ikarbus

Re: Bunnings stocktake

Post by Ikarbus »

Having done a few stocktakes at Kmart which were 9 hour shifts 3 days in a row - I for one hope you don't dream about barcodes in your sleep like I did!!!
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

espguy wrote:It's all on for young and old here in my town, Feb 16-17, and I'm one of the lucky schmos from the community who've been taken on for at least the first day of taking stock, for at least 10.5 hrs, starting at 8am. Given that this is my first work since mid-07, there's a lot riding on me to perform well... from my perspective at least. Anyone know what the actual rate of pay for adults at Bunnings is? $22 per hour was thrown around... we don't get paid until next week, which is in the middle of my fortnight, so somewhat handy there.
I used to work at Bunnings (6 years ago) and stocktakes there were teeeeeeeerrible. All people like yourself tend to get shafted into doing the aisles with horrid things to count (ie; Fixings, nuts bolts, hinges, etc....) Back when I was there I was on a higher tier full time than regular staff and I was on about $18/hr... so I suppose these days $22/hr for a casual would be close to the mark.

Best advice, is take your time, and be the first in there so you don't get shafted with a terrible aisle to do! (Housewares, ie: storage stuff, is the eaaaaaasiest to do in the entire store.)
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
yueses

Post by yueses »

Pick an aisle with LARGE items in it, like doors/ outdoor furniature, lawnmowers etc.. quick and easy.. don't pick the aisle with screws, nuts, bolts etc...!! :)
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

I got stuck 12am-6am, counting baby food and canned tuna when i was 15 at Bi-Lo......So not cool.
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
John

Post by John »

LowRider wrote:I used to work at Bunnings (6 years ago) and stocktakes there were teeeeeeeerrible. All people like yourself tend to get shafted into doing the aisles with horrid things to count (ie; Fixings, nuts bolts, hinges, etc....) Back when I was there I was on a higher tier full time than regular staff and I was on about $18/hr... so I suppose these days $22/hr for a casual would be close to the mark.
Surely they weigh smaller items such as nuts and bolts and calculate the total amount by working out the weight of one bolt/screw/nut and dividing that into the total weight?
Keep Melbourne Moving.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

I did a similar thing at the 2 BCF stores in Canberra. In the last 30 minutes of the day we were assigned to count all the fishing tackle, weight things & all the other small things. It ending up taking me 45 minutes to count 300-400 of these little buggers.

I just hope (for your sake) that you get to scan each item & not have to count & write it all down.
TempeFox

Post by TempeFox »

In my younger days I did a lot of Stock taking. That's why I had a panel van.
ben73

Post by ben73 »

I used to do it at coles when I worked there. I think I done every aisle over a few different stocktake's.
Freezer aisles were terrible. I felt Like half of my body was frozen after that.
Deli was crap. Weighing EVERYTHING in the deli was a pain, especially when you gotta balance a few bags full of prawns on the scales while someone else tries to hold them up without getting stabbed by the prawns. Good times.
Ikarbus wrote:I for one hope you don't dream about barcodes in your sleep like I did!!!
Now after night work, I dream about trains. I hate it, it's the worst sleep because you feel like you are awake and at work.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit
bussijaam

Post by bussijaam »

After getting the short end of the stick 3 years running at Bunnings doing pre-counts of the overhead storage areas and so forth, I jacked up in my 4th year and refused point blank to count so much as a single drill.

Surprisingly, there was no fall out from that. Manager said "yeah, ok, you deserve the year off", and left me to go about my business. Good times.

Our store had stocktake in mid-feb, so we had precounts right through January; great for a uni student seeking extra money at the time...but I did end up dreaming about ramset from time to time.
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

I am surprised that with all this modern computer inventory technology that manual stocktakes are still needed.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

ajw373 wrote:I am surprised that with all this modern computer inventory technology that manual stocktakes are still needed.
I would imagine that they're still needed because people still steal things.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
C130

Post by C130 »

My Aunt works at Bunnings on the weekends for holiday money, and it amazes me at what some people try to steal- some people have tried to walk out with ovens!
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Douglas wrote:
ajw373 wrote:I am surprised that with all this modern computer inventory technology that manual stocktakes are still needed.
I would imagine that they're still needed because people still steal things.
When people steal they know when it comes time to re-stock the shelves. Stocktakes are done for financial reporting purposes, hence why it surprises me they count to the very last screw when the info of what should be there is ready at hand.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

ajw373 wrote:When people steal they know when it comes time to re-stock the shelves. Stocktakes are done for financial reporting purposes, hence why it surprises me they count to the very last screw when the info of what should be there is ready at hand.
It would be highly impractical and inefficient to count stock each time it is refilled because too much time would be spent counting and then reporting the figures, especially items such as screws! Large retail stores in general do not have a system to progressively track theft, that is why half yearly or yearly stocktakes are done!
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Ikarbus wrote:
ajw373 wrote:When people steal they know when it comes time to re-stock the shelves. Stocktakes are done for financial reporting purposes, hence why it surprises me they count to the very last screw when the info of what should be there is ready at hand.
It would be highly impractical and inefficient to count stock each time it is refilled because too much time would be spent counting and then reporting the figures, especially items such as screws! Large retail stores in general do not have a system to progressively track theft, that is why half yearly or yearly stocktakes are done!
Actually as I said stocktakes are done for financial reporting purposes not to see how much stock has walked. When it comes to re-filling I wasn't talking about doing a count, but for most items it would be obvious if your stock count said you had 20 items in stock when in fact you only had 5.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

ajw373 wrote:Actually as I said stocktakes are done for financial reporting purposes not to see how much stock has walked. When it comes to re-filling I wasn't talking about doing a count, but for most items it would be obvious if your stock count said you had 20 items in stock when in fact you only had 5.
Taking your example, you would need a PDT to tell you what the stock count is supposed to be, meaning you would have to scan each item every time you filled (or even if you were just checking). Also, you would need to "count" the 5 that are on the shelf. In this example, it's straight forward because the numbers are relatively small but Bunnings has lots of product lines that are extremely tiresome to count, hence my argument for that being an inefficient process in general.

On that note since Wesfarmers now owns The Coles Group, in particular Kmart (where I work), they have decided to do partial stocktakes rather than doing the whole store at once. I can see the rationale behind this, but it has made a complete mess of our stockroom. Lines from departments that were being stocktaked were not allowed to be filled and had to be held in the stockroom. This quickly became messy and made the process of breaking and sorting pallets a lot slower. I much prefer the big week where the entire store is stocktaked in one go, that way it all ends quickly and you don't have to muck around for another 6 months.

Return to “The Lunch Room”