Board restored - 21 Sept 09

News and comments about this board.
Andrew
Administrator

Board restored - 21 Sept 09

Post by Andrew »

After a MALICIOUS ACT was carried out by a board member over the weekend, the board had to be restored.

The last good back up before the MALICIOUS ACT occurred was Friday morning 0700hrs, 18 September 2009.

This version of the board has now been restored.

Apologies for the loss of postings made over the weekend and for the inconvenience of missing accounts and so on in the last couple of days while things were being investigated and repaired. New usernames and passwords created over the weekend are now lost.

If you have any ongoing issues with passwords and so on, please contact an administrator by PM.

Your username and password as used on Friday 18 Sept 09 will be the one that gets you into the board. Obviously if you are reading this, you already know that - however, if you are speaking to other people before they try to log in again, then please let them know.

Thanks for your patience,

from the Admin Team.
Job done.
ALBION1881

Re: Board restored - 21 Sept 09

Post by ALBION1881 »

And I can see what this site breakdown has done it has thrown a lot of stuff back posts posted over the weekend like you said gone and a lot of stuff thrown back to later date it has been one big ballsup and a very big mess to clean up I hope it don`t happen again.
funbus
Favourite Vehicle: man sl200 mkI

Post by funbus »

thanks for getting us the people who lost service back on board!! 8) Hope it doesnt happen again to often boys!!
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

<smarTTrams> not so smart (for not saving)!

Post by <smarTTrams> »

For me the loss of this weekend's postings is really grim. I did a whole lot of posting yesterday --not so much the number of posts but the detail and recollections I put into them!

Years ago when my posts were being regularly deleted by admins in an earlier version of this board, I used to save everything I posted. But this board and its software have been so reliable for so long that I don't bother to save backups of my posts anymore.

I guess the sensible thing to do is to get into the habit of always saving any posts into which I have put a big investment of time and energy, just to be on the safe side!

Also, Herbert's posting of photos taken during a Perth trolley bus re-enactment in motor bus 171 has gone completely!

<smarT :cry: Trams>
Last edited by <smarTTrams> on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

I am sorry, it couldn't be avoided.

Better that we revert back to Friday 18 September 09 than 1 March 09 to which the board had been reset by the person responsible.
Job done.
<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Post by <smarTTrams> »

It's not your fault Andrew, and of course you've chosen the best possible option.

It's a timely reminder that regular backing up of work done on a computer is ESSENTIAL. It's all too easy to think "She'll be right!" and not bother to back-up, but as damage can occur in so many ways and completely unpredictably, it is better to be safe than sorry!

<smarTTrams>
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Thank you for restoring board back to normal.It was frustrating not being able to access board over the weekend however no doubt you did your best to get it restored ASAP.Let's hope it doesn't happen again :!: :!: :!:
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tim
Favourite Vehicle: anything with a scania engine

Post by Tim »

<smarTTrams> wrote:It's not your fault Andrew, and of course you've chosen the best possible option.

<smarTTrams>
It's not your fault Andrew it was xxxxxx off the board

Admin: username removed.
famous quotes from not so famous people
We have upset the God of desto's....Destonia!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiebuses/
shovelyjoe
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O 500LE

Post by shovelyjoe »

Andrew wrote:After a MALICIOUS ACT was carried out by a board member over the weekend, the board had to be restored.
How would a board member be able to do that?
eddy

Post by eddy »

That’s a relief to me . I thought that I had been deleted by the moderators.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
C130

Post by C130 »

By knowing an admin Login.....
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Tim wrote:
<smarTTrams> wrote:It's not your fault Andrew, and of course you've chosen the best possible option.

<smarTTrams>
It's not your fault Andrew it was xxxxxx off the board
We all know who the culprit was, and it was an extremely malicious thing to do, but there is no need to go pointing fingers here. Leave the fighting to Facebook. The importance of this announcement was to say the board has been restored to Friday, and anything since then has been lost. Lets keep it that way, shall we?

A massive thank you to Andrew for restoring the board - Top job mate!

Cheers
RailwayBus
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

The previous global announcement by Ken stated that we expected to lose any posts made from Friday evening onwards. Thank you to the Administrators and our server administrator for their efforts to restore our database.

This was not a system error, or a system glitch as some users have described - it was, as stated above, a malicious act by one of our users. The who/what/when/why does not need to be discussed here, however should there be any further concerns an Administrator can be contacted via Private Message.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

I am not worried anymore at least it is fixed and hope I the culprit that did this gets a size 10 where the sun Don`t shine and thanks to all admin for getting the wheels turninig again and with this all behind us we can look to the future.
idontcare
Favourite Vehicle: Towtruck powered Leyland Swift

Post by idontcare »

Whew - at least I now know what happened. Hey an email response to my email "account deleted etc" would have been nice!
But thanks for getting it all running again guys.
After a MALICIOUS ACT was carried out by a board member over the weekend....
I assume this quote should have read: "After a MALICIOUS ACT was carried out by an EX-board member...."
**SOLD** - one Towtruck powered 1979 Domino / Leyland Swift - No Motor - No Box - 4.1 diff - Grumpy driver
See photos of this Swift at OziBus.com.au
MaxHeadway

Post by MaxHeadway »

ALBION1881 wrote:I ... hope I the culprit that did this gets a size 10 where the sun Don`t shine
More than that, could their IP address be traced and criminal charges laid? Anyway, many thanks to the mods for working hard to restore the lost posts and profiles.
You used to have to pay money to see a freak show; now you have to pay NOT to.
chevinoz
Favourite Vehicle: '62 Chev Impala

Post by chevinoz »

eddy wrote:That’s a relief to me . I thought that I had been deleted by the moderators.
You're not on your 'Pat Malone' there! I thought it was as a result of my response to a nosey PM the night before, I thought the guy must have been "connected". After spilling my guts to Ken and begging for forgiveness it turns out this way. :oops: :lol:

Thanks for your efforts guys 8)
The Meaning Of Life? - Cruzin' In A Chevy
dannyr

Post by dannyr »

MaxHeadway wrote:
ALBION1881 wrote:I ... hope I the culprit that did this gets a size 10 where the sun Don`t shine
More than that, could their IP address be traced and criminal charges laid? Anyway, many thanks to the mods for working hard to restore the lost posts and profiles.
Having been involved in a similar situation before, the legalities are very grey.

While this site has one thing going for it - in that it's hosted in Australia - for any legal matters to be pursued it needs to be confirmed that the user was in fact within Australia, and doing what he did with malicious intent and knowledge. If the attack was made through a known - or well publicied security hole - it becomes difficult to prosecute even if you can find police who want to become involve - another big issue.

Generally the police only want to become involved when it involves high profile sites. As much as we'd all argue that BusAustralia is one of our second homes online, script kiddies are generally only prosecuted if there is confirmation that the takedown or modification has caused loss of income to the site owner. The fact that there wouldn't be a huge banner ad / google ad click income from this site I'd say there's buckleys.

And of course you'd probably find that whoever did this is under 17 and as such would get a slap on the wrist from the boys in blue anyway :(
"You can't take photos here. You can't take photos of anything QR anywhere!"
"Funny, that's not what your own Photography Policy says"
"oh..... well then, carry on"
bentleyv8t
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Mercedes O305G #545

Post by bentleyv8t »

It wasn't me was it?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

bentleyv8t wrote:It wasn't me was it?
Are you serious? Guilty are you? I'd imagine the person responsible would have been banned and blocked from this site, and seeing as though you were able to post that, I think it's safe to say it's not you. But why would you say that? What have you been up to? Do you have something to hide? Why write something like that?

What's happened has happened, and it has now been restored. The individual concerned has been banished, so let's forget about it and get back to posting in the usual fora, no more trying to guess who did what. End of story.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

Eagle Eye wrote:Are you serious? Guilty are you?
Conventionally something about malicious inflicting of damage to goods. But there's a whole raft of cybercrime legislation you don't want to fall afoul of because you'll get the book thrown at you. That said the chances of being prosecuted are pretty negligable.
TomKid.

Post by TomKid. »

Thank you Admins and Mods for restoring.
The boeard would be no-where without you guys.

And i hope the bastard that did this gets caught :twisted:
ptlivestock

Post by ptlivestock »

Whew.... thanks for that clarifiction I prepared a pic while on line and made a post with the interuption of a power blackout, and the following morning found two folks had continued the thread.... then.... on taking another look all had dissppeared...... leaving me wondering whether I was losing my marbles....

PT
PRT 065
Favourite Vehicle: Guess ?

Post by PRT 065 »

Shame I wasnt Allowed to Merge the databases together to keep the other posts. After testing it would of been very easy
Regards,
PRT 065

If you have any issues with the Queensland section, please send me a private message.
bentleyv8t
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Mercedes O305G #545

Post by bentleyv8t »

Nah. I posted the same thing twice by mistake on different pages, so i thought that caused a stir.

Return to “News & Administration”