Tassie Leyland National at Gympie

Moderator: PRT 065

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Car177

Tassie Leyland National at Gympie

Post by Car177 »

This ex Tassie Leyland National ES.1826 was parked at Gympie during 2004.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tassie Leyland National at Gympie

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Hi car177. Good pick-up. I used to drive that as a school bus for a few years. It's ex MTT#644. Painted in that scheme by the school operator. I'll search through my pictures today and ADD an attachment of how it looked when I drove it. Thanks for that, Neil - PS: Still got MY bloody wheel nut covers on the front wheels (should have taken them off when I left)
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

It looks like this Leyland National ex MTT #644 has been fully decked out as a camper with all those curtains put up and other gear inside of it. This bus would most probably have Queensland number plates and rego by now I think.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

DarrenH wrote:It looks like this Leyland National ex MTT #644 has been fully decked out as a camper with all those curtains put up and other gear inside of it. This bus would most probably have Queensland number plates and rego by now I think.
Bit of a waste really. The interior was immaculate. Extra padding on the seats, recovered in turquoise unholstery. Looked good.
Car177

Post by Car177 »

Thanks for the answer I can now update my records. I had intended to come down for the 19th. but air fares are too dear at that time.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I would have liked to have seen a better view of what these Euro style nut covers looked like in this bus's wheels.
Funny how Leyland never designed a dresser hubcap for these.Probably wanted to save weight. :lol:

I think the Leyland National would look quite good without those unutilised glass panels either side of the desto.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Neil, was it 644 that you would see parked in a side street next to Glenorchy Primary School usually on the main Rd side?

Steve
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

stevegj52 wrote:Neil, was it 644 that you would see parked in a side street next to Glenorchy Primary School usually on the main Rd side?

Steve
YEP!! That was it, then later #59 Volvo CACI (same livery)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Are there still quite a few ex MTT nationals surviving in decent condition now?Tasmania seems to be somewhat of a mecca for older vehicles in general.
I heard there is a man who buys up minis from all over Australia and sells alot of them to Japanese buyers who are nuts about them.I once met this CM Valiant collector around 1996 in Western Sydney who told me he was offloading them to buyers in Tasmania where he said they were highly sought after!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Swift 584 wrote:Are there still quite a few ex MTT nationals surviving in decent condition now?Tasmania seems to be somewhat of a mecca for older vehicles in general.
I heard there is a man who buys up minis from all over Australia and sells alot of them to Japanese buyers who are nuts about them.I once met this CM Valiant collector around 1996 in Western Sydney who told me he was offloading them to buyers in Tasmania where he said they were highly sought after!
One of the enthusiasts coming on the tour this weekend (19th) knows where EVERY Leyland National went to from Tassie. He also used to build the Scanias @ Ansair in Kingston. He'll know about the good the bad & the ugly, I'm sure!!
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

sorry not sold on the wheel nut covers errk don't look right
Swift

Post by Swift »

They belong on overrated and dull European equipment,not on ANY fine British bus.

The Wombat sign is a real attack on the such a dignified bus.Some people should be stopped from purchasing certain vehicles and redirected to something more ordinary and suitable to them!

Return to “Photos - Brisbane/Qld”