Television channel discussions

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Television channel discussions

Post by scott »

The Nine Network this year have had got good use out of their axe. Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune is now the latest program to be boned this year after being thrashed by Seven's Deal or No Deal.

What could be done to reverse Channel Nines's fortunes and bring them back to their former glory?

My Plan:-

* Sack the current executives
* Bring back Hey Hey It's Saturday
*Bring back Burke's Backyard
*Put Gordon Ramsey back to late nights where he belongs
* Sack Tony Grieg from the cricket coverage
* Some good quality Aussie Drama series such as The Flying Doctors
* Some good quality Aussie Mini Series and telemovies such as Halifax FP
Flexity110

Re: Let's fix Channel Nine

Post by Flexity110 »

My method for fixing Channel Nine is much simpler. It involves turning off all the machines, making all the employees walk outside, then locking the doors after them.

It is unfortunate that Channel Nine is losing its target audience to Channels Seven, Ten, ABC and SBS; Nursing Homes or Heaven... only that they dont do much about changing their target audience. I flicked over the other night to a rather tragic program which seemed to be delivered entirely in geriatrivision. Even their recent legal/medical (in one) drama got the pan-searing it deserved from less than impressed critics.

I feel more and more like the "fix" for Channel Nine is like the "fix" for a terminally ill animal - have it put down humanely while its still only mildly painful.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

scott wrote:Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune is now the latest program to be boned this year after being thrashed by Seven's Deal or No Deal.
But they won't learn the lesson. What was wrong with Wheel this time around?
* The host was boring
* The set was purple :o
* The wheel was small and flimsy
* There was no prize gift shop for winning a round

Basically, it screwed with the format and was tacky. If they'd done it properly it would have done well. Wheel of Fortune is a perfectly decent gameshow and is far more fun to play at home than Deal or No Deal, but the production was so abysmal that after viewing one show it would be obvious it was doomed.
PETERGRIFFIN888

Post by PETERGRIFFIN888 »

Bring back Looney Tunes Cartoons to the hour before the News comes on
Bring back Temptation For Goodness Sake we are already halfway through 2008 and they are still showing repeats of Two and a Half Men
Give us a Decent talk show in the mould of Oprah or Geraldo or anything else of that kind that comes out of America
T1248

Post by T1248 »

Those repeats of Two and A Half men are about all I bother to watch on Nine.
Mysteriously Disappeared
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

Hazards & Dome wrote:
scott wrote:*Put Gordon Ramsey back to late nights where he belongs
Why would they do that? Ramsey's shows are consistently winning the timeslot. So far this week, 9 are ahead in the ratings.(Although they did have the Corby special)
Yes, but give it 3 months and Mr Ramsay will be ###### wearing ###### thin on all the ####### who think he is ####### funny.

Channel 9 seem to have lost sight of what is entertaining to watch on TV. Instead all they show is stuff that is cheap to make/import.

Sadly I think its only going to get worse. Bad Lads Army seems like another stinker for Channel 9. I cant remember the last time I saw a video on the now terminally stale Australias Funniest Home Videos that was actually at least mildly amusing. I get more laughter at looking at what hideous frock the host is wearing each week.

And next Saturday night, Channel 9 is playing The Wedding Singer as its primetime movie. I mean seriously, how many times to they want to play that movie? Sure it was ok, but move on for ####s sake.
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

Bring Back Comedy Inc with Ernest The Engine Car skits. bagging out Thomas The Tank Engine

Voice: Ernest The Engine Car had finally cracked

Ernest: get outta the F*cking way F*cking move it get off the f*cking road

Stevie: Ernest

Voice: Said Stevie The Steam Train

Stevie: "Are you alright"

Ernest: I'm Fine

Voice: Said Ernest

Ernest: I'm just practising my road rage i'm fed up with Public Transport i'm always late so i'm getting a car with big booming Stereo
and numberplate that says CHX DGGGT

Stevie: W*nker W*nker W*nkker

Voice: Said Stevie Who stuttered at the worst possible moment"

Stevie: "how would you even fit in a car"

Ernest: i'll get the biggest 4WD i can find

Stevie "Oh so plan on being a C*nt being a C*nt being a Country driver

Voice : Said Stevie who's stutter not getting any better

Ernest: "Oh No"

Voice: Said Ernest

Ernest: I'll be just driving it around the city"

Stevie "Oh so you'll be just looking like a c*nt looking like a c*nt looking like a country driver and driving like a c*nt driving like a c*nt like a country driver and parking like a c*nt parking like a c*nt parking like a country driver and everyone else that see's you will think there's a real a c*nt there's a real c*nt there's a real country driving experience that his missing out on

Said: Stevie

Ernest: "I Dont care what else anyone thinks"

Stevie: Then a 4WD is perfect" Arent your worried about being stuck in Traffic"

Ernest "not at all" i'll be using the Bus Lane".
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
MAN NG313
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313's

Post by MAN NG313 »

Last night Channel 9 had 'Cats and Dogs' on. I have seen it before. It is such a XXX movie I don't even know why they bother. My god it was horrid.
One of the channels also had Richie Rich on, can't remember which but it is a XXX movie too.
That million dollar wheel of fortune is crap. Bring it back to 7 with the old hosts and format where it was pretty good.

Channel 9 could do well by bringing back Temptation, which was a good good good game show and exciting to watch. Pity they got rid of it :evil:

And why can't television networks put something GOOD on Friday and Saturday nights? All thats usually on is football and some crap movie. It sucks.

Meh, TV is getting crapper and crapper as each year goes by 8)
gravesend_king

Post by gravesend_king »

With all the reality shows like
Big Brother
Surviver
Farmer Takes a wife
Race around the world

and the like no one has any imagination, remember all tv channels have an interest in PAY TV

Where I live we get those stupid Infomercials from 11.00p.m.weekdays and on weekends it is usually from 1.00p.m to 4.00p.m if there is no football on.

Glad to have videos and DVDs to watch. I did a count of how many DVDs I had and when I went to the local video shop I noticed that I actually had more DVDs than they did, go figure
I know it all
pakenhamtrain

Post by pakenhamtrain »

MAN NG313 wrote:Last night Channel 9 had 'Cats and Dogs' on. I have seen it before. It is such a XXX movie I don't even know why they bother. My god it was horrid.

Channel 9 could do well by bringing back Temptation, which was a good good good game show and exciting to watch. Pity they got rid of it :evil:
If I recall correctly Temptation is coming back, it's just on an extended break. The Channel 9 website had it listed as Returning Soon.
As for Cats and Dogs.....well St Kilda's first Quarter last night was more exciting and I'm a saints supporter. :roll:
Insert 200 characters as signature
PETERGRIFFIN888

how soon is returning soon for Temptation
We can all blame the success of Frasier for how long it took Channel Nine to bring back a game show almost five years and costed Red Symons his game show
Stoney!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz o405

Post by Stoney! »

PETERGRIFFIN888 wrote:Bring back Looney Tunes Cartoons to the hour before the News comes on
oh my god YES! i remember that now, loved watching looney tunes before dinner when i was little. It made up for the hour of news i had to watch after cartoons lol.

Stoney!
Proud Volkswagen Golf owner...

Mercees o305g:- one of the best buses ever built
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

PETERGRIFFIN888 wrote:how soon is returning soon for Temptation
We can all blame the success of Frasier for how long it took Channel Nine to bring back a game show almost five years and costed Red Symons his game show
Correction, Channel 9 and Red Symons costed their own game show. That program was absoultly abhorrent, and doomed from day one.
Flexity110

Post by Flexity110 »

True... Channel 9 cost* themselves a lot, namely their entire audience, when they do stupid things like go to air.

*I assume you mean "cost" which is also the past tense of the verb "to cost" - "costed" relates to the activity of "costing" which is a synonym for "pricing".
i.e. "Once the project was fully costed out, it was deemed unviable" as opposed to "It cost me my job."
scott

Post by scott »

Another one of Channel Nine's failures was back in 1992 when Doug Mulray hosted Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos.

Kerry Packer rang the Channel Nine switchboard and barked, "Get this s^&t off the air". Then instantly the screen turns black.

Remember Keynotes with Richard Wilkins? , brought in as a summer replacement for Sale of The Century in the 1992/93 summer season. lasted only that period, but was repeated several years later.

Also, The 1990's version of The Price Is Right with Larry Emdur was brought in again as the summer replacement for Sale Of The Century in the 1993/94 summer period, but it was very successful and was made a permanent program in the 5:30 time slot in early 1994, where it stayed for quite a few years.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

We never got to see the shows, so we will never know if it really was a failure.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
melbtransport
Favourite Vehicle: All Kefford and SITA Buses

Post by melbtransport »

I don't agree with you on Gordon Ramsay being put on later at night, because look at the ratings for Gordon Ramsay's shows, they've gone gangbusters :wink: :twisted: :!:
キャンベラ僕の電車と市電の写真集 いろいろメルボルンの市電の写真 Hodgsoŋzz |†ちょ₠眽Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ†|™™“贡献所有力量给孩子希望 冲破一切阻挡 用大家的爱 打败虚幻世界的罪恶安排 请相信未来 ”₠眽??Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

melbtransport wrote:I don't agree with you on Gordon Ramsay being put on later at night, because look at the ratings for Gordon Ramsay's shows, they've gone gangbusters :wink: :twisted: :!:
Yes, but its hardly mind blowing entertainment. I suggest most people who are watching it are doing so simply because there is nothing much else on, so they might aswell laugh "at the silly pom who says C*** and F*** alot."
dave
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo volgren B12

Post by dave »

scott wrote:The Nine Network this year have had got good use out of their axe. Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune is now the latest program to be boned this year after being thrashed by Seven's Deal or No Deal.

What could be done to reverse Channel Nines's fortunes and bring them back to their former glory?

My Plan:-

* Sack the current executives
* Bring back Hey Hey It's Saturday
*Bring back Burke's Backyard
*Put Gordon Ramsey back to late nights where he belongs
* Sack Tony Grieg from the cricket coverage
* Some good quality Aussie Drama series such as The Flying Doctors
* Some good quality Aussie Mini Series and telemovies such as Halifax FP
I agree scott, hey hey went for over 25 years and they never have filled that void. burkes backyard and other shows that we grew up with are all gone. we also had some great mini series made in australia in past. Maybe if the nine executives asked the viewers what they want, things may change.anything would be better then repeat shows all the time.
melbtransport
Favourite Vehicle: All Kefford and SITA Buses

Post by melbtransport »

Another suggestion would be show new episodes of Two and a Half Men
キャンベラ僕の電車と市電の写真集 いろいろメルボルンの市電の写真 Hodgsoŋzz |†ちょ₠眽Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ†|™™“贡献所有力量给孩子希望 冲破一切阻挡 用大家的爱 打败虚幻世界的罪恶安排 请相信未来 ”₠眽??Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ
PETERGRIFFIN888

Here are some things that would help Channel 9

HI 5 OR Humphrey B Bear right after the Today show on weekdays for the mothers out there with preschoolers and small children and again at 3:30pm
Less Crime Shows
Suitable Viewing for Children 5 to 18 Years of age after school
Shows that cater for the under 40's
New Two and a Half men episodes while we wait in anticipation for Temptation to Return
More of those Ladette to Lady style programmes
Something along the lines of Family Guy
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

PETERGRIFFIN888 wrote:Here are some things that would help Channel 9
More of those Ladette to Lady style programmes
You are kidding right? This is the kind of half arsed bullshit that has Nine in so much trouble at the moment with poor ratings. :lol:

If I wanted to sit around and watch a bunch of foul mouthed tarty looking women with no dignity and no brains, I can do that simply by heading down to Fountain Gate for the day. But keep it off my TV set for gods sake.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

MAN NG313 wrote:And why can't television networks put something GOOD on Friday and Saturday nights? All thats usually on is football and some crap movie. It sucks.
For Sats &/or Suns., what about shows like Some Mothers Do Ave Em or Keeping Up Appearances?

For Ch. 9, ACA should stop trying to outdo Today Tonight, & the same with TT versus ACA.

Not sure if RAy Martin is still on 60 Minutes, but if he is, he should go to.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:For Sats &/or Suns., what about shows like Some Mothers Do Ave Em or Keeping Up Appearances?
I agree, Are You Being Served would be another good show to put on. They could have a classic comedy show like Channel 7 had last year.
Newcastle Flyer wrote: For Ch. 9, ACA should stop trying to outdo Today Tonight, & the same with TT versus ACA.
Agree again, I thought they were supposed to be Current Affairs programs, not "whatever the other channel showed last week" programs.
Newcastle Flyer wrote:Not sure if RAy Martin is still on 60 Minutes, but if he is, he should go to.
I thought Ray Martin left Channel 9 (retired) late last year/early this year?
Flexity110

Post by Flexity110 »

Channel 9 would seriously benefit from some witty comedy, rather than the lame attempt at obvious jokes it currently displays or the imported irrelevant garbage that graces our screens.
It should be something fast paced, fresh, witty, intelligent (yes something that involves people to use their brains a little) and multifaceted.
PETERGRIFFIN888 wrote:Something along the lines of Family Guy
Unfortunately for PETERGRIFFIN888 the above criteria well and truly crush this idea. Frankly Eratik could come up with a better program on his own (no offence to Eratik who I do actually find cleverly funny most of the time, unlike Family Guy which one could never describe as clever... or overly funny come to that... unless repeating the same disconnected yet at the same time obvious joke 400 times takes your fancy, or an extensive soundtrack consisting mainly of fart noises :? )

Return to “The Lunch Room”