Possible Amendments to Board Guidelines - Photo Limitations

News and comments about this board.
Windy

Re: Possible Amendments to Board Guidelines - Photo Limitations

Post by Windy »

Ken wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote:Would it be an idea to create another forum on the board for these test threads, so it doesn't clutter up the photo forums?
Newcastle Flyer wrote:Also so more people notice it, is it possible to have your poll thread as a global announcement, similar to what T1200 has done?
Would you also like an ad to be placed in the Newcastle Herald and a special broadcast by Ray Dineen on NBN News?
LOL! Newcastle Flyer, your signatures and postings have been upping the level of late, and I do appreciate it. It's basically gone up from Downright Lame to Outright Preposterous. Time to pull your head in again, son!

Ken, here is yet another "Make-another-lame-post-for-the-hell-of-posting-crap-and-I'll-hiss-and-bite-and-scratch" Award!

Note, I am also being considerate by posting a hissing cat which *just* sits below the 820 pixel width, which I'm sure Newcastle Flyer will be most enthused about for his download limit.
Windy

Post by Windy »

CM Hino wrote:
T1200 wrote:It took forever for Imageshack to give me those ten photos that you posted, CM Hino.
Hi T1200
Windy has just comment on the pictures taking there time as well

Anybody else having problems :?:
Yeah, I didn't realise we were meant to post a reply here :oops: My apologies. However, I'm glad it wasn't just me who was having issues then. BPQ's 10 pix at 820 pixel width was almost instantaneous.
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

Windy wrote:BPQ's 10 pix at 820 pixel width was almost instantaneous.
Yes indeed it was. I think if one posted the 1024px images as attachments on BA's server, it would be almost instantaneous as well.
Reality continues to ruin my life.
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

T1200 wrote:
Windy wrote:BPQ's 10 pix at 820 pixel width was almost instantaneous.
Yes indeed it was. I think if one posted the images as attachments on BA's server, it would be almost instantaneous as well.
Hi T1200
As I do not know how to attach picture to the BA server (everytime I try I stuff it up :oops: )
Maybe you could start another post You can use my picture if you need to

Also I find imageshack play up around this time every day that why I don't post picture at this
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

The 10 pics that BusPicsQLD posted as a test were quick to appear and the size was good.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
Carlisle 8
Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Post by Carlisle 8 »

Having been born with an enquiring mind, I decided to time the two test sites.
CM Hino: 2 minutes 25.87 seconds and only 6 pictures downloaded.
BPQ: 9.76 seconds and perfect!

I note the earlier comments regarding imageshack. Should ATDB specify/limit the sites from which photos may be downloaded? Nearly 2.5 minutes is much too slow!
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Rail Bus wrote:Obviously if users such as The Inspector wish to keep posting pics to no more than 800 x 600, then that is their choice,
Nope, increase in size is fine by me if it becomes the new limits. I only stick with 800 x 600 as its the current size limit. Plus when funds allow me to I will be getting a new larger screen (flat screen prefered) as the older one is to bulky and small for decent viewing.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Carlisle 8 wrote: I note the earlier comments regarding imageshack. Should ATDB specify/limit the sites from which photos may be downloaded? Nearly 2.5 minutes is much too slow!
What is supposed to mean?
You dont want people using imageshack to post anymore? :evil:
Or you just want to limit imageshack poster? :evil:

I think this needs a "Please explain" :wink: :roll:
Carlisle 8
Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Post by Carlisle 8 »

CM Hino. The passage you quoted is written in clear English and requires no explanation. I suggest that you should read it again and absorb its meaning.

The following quotation is from an earlier posting of yours.
CM Hino wrote:
As I do not know how to attach picture to the BA server (everytime I try I stuff it up :oops: )
Maybe you could start another post You can use my picture if you need to

Also I find imageshack play up around this time every day that why I don't post picture at this
Your incomplete final sentence refers to imageshack playing up. That being so, why don't you p.m. an Administrator and ask for help in posting photographs to the ATDB server? When that problem is sorted out, life will be made easier for you and people viewing your pictures will get a nice quick download.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Carlisle 8 wrote: ]

Your incomplete final sentence refers to imageshack playing up. That being so, why don't you p.m. an Administrator and ask for help in posting photographs to the ATDB server? When that problem is sorted out, life will be made easier for you and people viewing your pictures will get a nice quick download.
No need for a PM - Full details are at http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=28459
Living in the Shire.
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Hi Carlisle 8
Why don’t you just say what you mean?
If you want pictures that are hosted in Imageshack band from the website just say it.
Stop the dancing around the subject.

As for my unfinished sentence sorry I forgot to type in the word TIME. My mistake.

I have not bother with learning how to attach a picture directly to the blah server as has not been necessary. No complaints about how long it takes to load my pictures .Yet

I can also say I will not be changing the way I post on this board.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

CM Hino wrote:I can also say I will not be changing the way I post on this board.
No complaints from me regarding your photos.

The slow loading of Imageshack images at times is out of your control, but your photos are certainly worth waiting for.

If people don't like waiting for your pics to load then it's their loss.
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Post by AEC Decker »

A limit of 10 pictures per page of a thread is OK as you only load one page at a time.
Most websites now assume a minimum resolution of 1024x768.
I am using Firefox 2.0.0.14 and if you hover the mouse pointer over a picture that exceeds the screen resolution, the mouse pointer becomes a minus sign, you just click it to resize the picture to fit.
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
Windy

Post by Windy »

Has there been any update to the photo limitations? We've heard nothing for some time now...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Windy wrote:Has there been any update to the photo limitations? We've heard nothing for some time now...
No, otherwise you would have heard something some time ago :P

From the voting it seems like the choice is evenly split between 10 pics @ 800 pixels and 10 pics @ 1024 pixels.

So I suppose we should make it 10 pics @ 820 pixels (slightly above the 800 figure I had in the poll).

Any comments?
Windy

Post by Windy »

So, if I was to post 10 pics tonight (for the sake of argument), then T1200 or another mod won't suddenly make 5 pics mysteriously disappear, given the general consensus?
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

Windy wrote:So, if I was to post 10 pics tonight (for the sake of argument), then T1200 or another mod won't suddenly make 5 pics mysteriously disappear, given the general consensus?
Rules still show 5 as the limit so if you did post 10 and 5 went walk-about then you have no reason to complain :wink:

I think that setting the start of a month for when the change occures, ie 1st july.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Speaking of photo limitations, it would be nice if the guidelines for thread titles were enforced more. I hate seeing titles such as:

todays gunzelling
my day out
[SA]
the last one without the red stripe
trains from today
high floors
my skool bus

when a more appropriate title would be more like:
[WA] Transperth Trains at Whitfords

Thoughts?
member 1423

Post by member 1423 »

BroadGauge wrote:Speaking of photo limitations, it would be nice if the guidelines for thread titles were enforced more. I hate seeing titles such as:

todays gunzelling
my day out
[SA]
the last one without the red stripe
trains from today
high floors
my skool bus

when a more appropriate title would be more like:
[WA] Transperth Trains at Whitfords

Thoughts?
Yep I agree. Plus I thought it was the rule to include city/state/bus company in the title?? IE

[QLD] Pics around Brisbane
[Bris] In the city today
[Busways] Assorted pics from my North Coast Adventure

These are much nicer titles. Titles such as those quoted by 'BroadGauge' annoy me quite alot, esp when its people posting the same old photos all the time.
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

BusPicsQLD wrote:Titles such as those quoted by 'BroadGauge' annoy me quite alot, esp when its people posting the same old photos all the time.
Your not alone in thinking this, a title needs to be relevant and give a good insight into what photos are in the file, there are many titles that are simply like the minds that post them, rather empty in topic.

I good title stating wahts in the post will get more viewers than a topic with no meaning.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Ken

Post by Ken »

The new photo rules are:

Maximum of 10 photos per thread, with maximum of 820 pixel wide for each photo.

This 10 pics is a definite limit. Post 11 photos and 1 will be deleted!

I have also uploaded 'topic icons' for each specific state. These will help with the people who complain about not knowing which state pics are from.

As for thread titles, this is covered in the board guidelines already with users required to give appropriate names to threads. I will try and keep an eye on thread titles, but if you notice a user consistently using poor thread names please let me know privately.
T1248

Post by T1248 »

The topic icons are a great little idea Ken. But why does Queensland have to be pink :P .
Mysteriously Disappeared
Busnerd

Post by Busnerd »

T1248 wrote:The topic icons are a great little idea Ken. But why does Queensland have to be pink :P .
It's actually Maroon, it just came out as looking pink when the colour was edited from the original image in which all icons were made blue.

Ken has tried to make each state/territory's colour based on that places state flag but obviously there aren't that many colours, and it's hard to make them look different, hence why WA is purple, as silver for vic looked nearly black, that's why black couldn't be used for WA.

Overall they are a great idea and improve the ease of browsing the photo forums, and no longer do we need to put [NSW] Photos of... in our thread titles!
www.actbus.net | Get On Board
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

I like the idea of the icons - but considering WA colours are green & gold, perhaps we could have a bus-derived scheme of green & cream? :P :P
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

Can we get the attachment limit raised to 10 please
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!

Return to “News & Administration”