Historical Commercial Vehicle Display Day

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

Ill come. Might even drag out the camera and take some snaps. :twisted:
Windy

Post by Windy »

I am considering heading down to check this out... Might make this one a whole weekend trip.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

I might have to check this one out, I will be in Melbourne for about 5 days and I will probably be in Melbourne on the 26th....
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
cpt-mud

Post by cpt-mud »

I belive some of the grendas historic fleet will be there
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Usually yes - but there's some doubt as to whether they will be able to be removed from their storage shed due to current building works - we'll find out for sure closer to the day and hopefully it will be OK.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
railex

Post by railex »

is this event still going to happen this sunday if what is the best way to get there by bus ie 811,800 etc on the sunday and where the busway enterance is for sandown
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Can't you just take the train to Sandown Park Station? :? I don't think any routes in the area actually run on a Sunday (800 maybe?)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Dear All

Could someone confirm this, but isn't the only open entrance into Sandown on Sunday for the display is some walk away from the station? Redhood mentioned something to me about this recently. :?

Buses to Springvale on a Sunday inculde 811, 813, 888, 889. Route 800 along Princes Hwy doesn't run on Sundays.

Kind Regards

Craig :)
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

For those who are attending, Eratik will be there for the day. I believe there will be an area allocated for an autograph signing session. :twisted:
John

Post by John »

I shall be attending the event, most likely in the morning. Anyone know which carpark will be open?
Keep Melbourne Moving.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

John wrote:I shall be attending the event, most likely in the morning. Anyone know which carpark will be open?
Somebody please correct me if Im wrong, but i would assume you would enter throught the main entrance on Princes Highway.

Im guessing the vehicles will be displayed on the Motor Racing Track side of Sandown, and not the Greyhound/Horse Racing side.
The Cap a tan

Post by The Cap a tan »

Eratik wrote:
John wrote:I shall be attending the event, most likely in the morning. Anyone know which carpark will be open?
Somebody please correct me if Im wrong, but i would assume you would enter throught the main entrance on Princes Highway.

Im guessing the vehicles will be displayed on the Motor Racing Track side of Sandown, and not the Greyhound/Horse Racing side.
As Eratik says above, use the main entrance off Princes Highway. The trucks and buses will be on display in the area behind the pit garages. The main carpark is usually open a short walk from this area. There are plenty of people present on the day giving directions etc.

Invicta will have on display the 1946 Ford, accompanied by in fleet numbers 26,36,37,56 and 80. The Bedford is having a rest this year, it has a few issues.

See you there. :D
Mercedes
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Mercedes »

So how did the day go? and what ended up being no display apart from what Invicta supplied as stated from the post above?
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
Windy

Post by Windy »

The turnout was pretty good, and the music being blared out the speakers was suitably tasteful. On display was all manner of vehicles from a Denning Decker from Victorian Touring Coaches to a Leyland Royal Tiger Campervan. A number of the historical fleets were in attendance, including the Volgren B58 from Grendas (which is the first Volgren body), as well as a number of Southland Bedfords, and a n umber of vehicles from the Driver fleet (Denning Mono or Denair? and an Iveco low floor).

All manner of vehicles also included gen man's private battery powered "bus" which came complete with "desto". Certainly one operator cutting costs there, but providing a rubber tyred vehicle as opposed to a plastic wheel type with a Flintstones' feel to it complete with driver-required-propulsion.

The big surprise was the mini tour that ensued after lunch in the Invicta Scania N112ARB artic, which was a demonstrator and to the best of my knowledge, the only such vehicle left in Australia (the Busabout/BCC demonstrator with the Denning body went to New Zealand not too long ago). I have to thank Invicta Driver for bringing it out, as well as the Designline. A good chuckle was heard when a quick trip was made in it when one of the enthusiasts commented that the engine sounded like a lawnmower!

It was good to catch up with all manner of the local enthusiasts, viz 1whoknows, Mr E.L. Wood, Denair, venturatiger, the esteemed Eratik (who did not autograph my photo of a trolley with a desto on it... how disappointing), gen man, Highway Traveller, among others. Others spotted but not spoken to included the Forum's resident photography expert, VOLVO FAN and Redhood. Kid and The Crispinator were not readily identifiable. Nor the expected group of Jarf, B7RLE, and co.

The Cockroach invasion into Mexico included our very own Andy Lee, as well as Yusry and myself. If only we could have rallies like this and the HCVAQ display in Brisbane.

Trucks of interest were the various AEC and Leyland trucks on display (including a half cab AEC Regal III Horse Transporter), as well as the mini Kenworth trucks which seem to be based on a Dodge Ute chassis with what sounded like a petrol V8 of some sort. The truck not of interest was the modified ride on mower carting kiddies around (except for the odd teenage girl bouncing along nicely :twisted: )

I thoroughly enjoyed my day and congratulate the organisers of the day, and also the BCSV for organising the collection of buses.
John

Post by John »

Here are a few photos from the event. I spent about an hour there (11am-12pm). Was quite impressed with the display and a big thank you to the organisers.

National Bus no. 166 - a MAN SL200 with Ansair Mk 1 body:

The interior of National Bus no. 166 - a MAN SL200/Ansair Mk 1:

A 1972 MCI MC-7 displayed by Driver Bus Lines:

GM Denning DenAir displayed by Driver Bus Lines:
Keep Melbourne Moving.
Mercedes
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Mercedes »

John,
That first shot of 166 with Fishy bend 235 on the front is certainly extremely rare nowdays as mk1's dont exist at Fitzroy any more
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

Yeah it was a good day overall. Thanks to everyone who organized it. It was good to see a few interesting buses of yesteryear.

Another thing that days like this highlight, is just how real all those jibes that Eratik has taken at Gunzels, really are. Obviously not in all cases...there are some very nice and normal people who are bus enthusiasts, but then there are the ones who are living breathing examples of the subject matter of many of Eratiks rantings.

And does anyone know who that guy was who was wandering around at one point who had the chains around his neck and a long shiny red PVC overcoat on???? To who ever he was, mate you were at the wrong party. The Mardi Gras is held in Sydney.......and at an entirely different time of year. Better luck next time picking your costume.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Eratik wrote:Yeah it was a good day overall. Thanks to everyone who organized it. It was good to see a few interesting buses of yesteryear.

Another thing that days like this highlight, is just how real all those jibes that Eratik has taken at Gunzels, really are. Obviously not in all cases...there are some very nice and normal people who are bus enthusiasts, but then there are the ones who are living breathing examples of the subject matter of many of Eratiks rantings.

And does anyone know who that guy was who was wandering around at one point who had the chains around his neck and a long shiny red PVC overcoat on???? To who ever he was, mate you were at the wrong party. The Mardi Gras is held in Sydney.......and at an entirely different time of year. Better luck next time picking your costume.
ROFL!

I see a source of inspiration was indeed the patrons of the event! (And a number of those on the artic).

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”