What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by scott »

Kids on school holidays who are incapable of behaving in a civilised manner in public, mostly teenagers, I saw a security guard marching a kid out for riding a bike inside a busy shopping centre.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

That goes for young adults too. So many swear like it's breathing and carry on like rock stars just for being young. Egotistical jerkoffs.
scott

Post by scott »

Yes, the young adults are just as bad, the tradies in particular.

They are seen regularly on my daily Maccas coffee run, and they are very rude to the Maccas staff. When they are told they can't get their Big Mac until 10:30 am, they go crazy.

My local neighbourhood cafe reopened under new ownership this week, and the new owner has zero tolerance for rude people. I will be going there 1 or two mornings a week where my schedule allows, before my morning commute.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Australia Post to halve two thirds of nothing by dropping yet another letter delivery day while shifting more focus to its for-profit parcel division while the Australian government looks the other way claiming that lovely 10% GST on the letters that were moved by the customer across to the next price bracket (parcels and/or express post) in order to be delivered five kilometres in less than a fortnight. "Snail mail" is an insult to snails at this stage.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

They're in the business of "delivery", not sure why letters are considered a separate division.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Profit is the only reason. The letter delivery service is provided by government-owned entity (not for profit, despite stamps being a ripoff), whereas the corporate entity is for-profit as the parcel division of Australia Post was privatised 30 years ago to allow competition in the parcel sector, probably around the time Telecom became Telstra and Optus (Singtel) entered the chat.

Instead of competition, the Australian Government stepped in with anti-competitive practices by making a law stating that no-one can undercut Australia Post's letter division, and that such a service must be no less than four times the letter rate (e.g. it must cost no less than four stamps). Naturally, rival companies can really only deliver parcels in Australia and not letters, even though a theoretical $4.80 (or $6) "letter" would be way cheaper than a $10+ "500g" parcel weighing 40 grams but not conforming to Australia Post's arbitrary letter dimensions (260x360x20mm) due to being thicker than 20mm (which is the real killer for most items, not the length and width).
scott

Post by scott »

Been watching Highway Patrol on 7Plus after not seeing it for a while.
The attitude of the people pulled up for mobile phone use, speeding and very unroadworthy vehicles absolutely stinks.

One of the episodes features a bloke with a Ford Econovan bought new in 1986, it was a bit of a jalopy and gets put off the road, another had a Holden Rodeo driven by someone on bail, that had bald tyres down to the steel and an ignition switch operated by pliers, complete with a subwoofer in the back and three unrestrained passengers.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Pus bucket Ostraya signing me out and having to log on.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Took an hour and twenty minutes to get from Victoria Pde (Melbourne city) to Ringwood at 10:30 last night via Melbourne's pathetic excuse of a public transport system.

Decided to get back before the footy crowds took over the city, but ended up stuck waiting about 20 minutes for a 906 bus that was originally due in 9 minutes according to the PID, then another 22 minutes at Blackburn Rd for the 901, which is normally scheduled about 8 minutes after the 906 gets there, but the 906 missed that connection by a country mile so I had to wait for the next one. My other "quick" option, having spent all of 10 seconds inside Parliament station beforehand looking at the next train signs, was to wait 28 minutes for a Lilydale train stopping all stations except East Richmond and then sitting (or more likely standing) on a packed train for about 50 minutes.

No extra public transport services provided for the footy. "Premium" "Smart" buses every 30 minutes after 8PM and still standing room only at 11PM, trains every 30 minutes and crush loaded (and stopping all stations), trams every 20 minutes and crush loaded, taxis charging triple figures to drive more than five kilometres from the CBD, cars are everywhere, and the Eastern Freeway is a semi-permanent 80 zone for three quarters of its length (at least it wasn't 40 km/h this time) while road project after road project after road project is done, all while freeway buses are timetabled to run at 100 km/h for several kilometres, never mind bus lanes being rezoned as parking lanes after dark (probably a relic from when the pubs closed at 6 and the buses finished ten minutes later).
scott

Post by scott »

The Victorian Government for investing 4.1 million to replace a scoreboard rather than funding cancer research in it's latest budget.

They certainly know where their priorites lie, remember when Dodgy, Dopey Dan sponsored a netball team for 15m before the last state election?
And also the Commonwealth Games fiasco which has plunged Victoria further into debt.
I know I listen to too much 3AW, but this Victorian Government cannot run a chook raffle, if they did, they would probably sell the tickets, but forget to order the chook.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

scott wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:13 am I know I listen to too much 3AW, but this Victorian Government cannot run a chook raffle, if they did, they would probably sell the tickets, but forget to order the chook.
Or maybe sell the chook a few times over, and forget to buy the tickets! :mrgreen:
Swift

Post by Swift »

You have to stop letting white anglos make transport decisions and get decision makers from Germany, France, Japan, Czech Republic or Italy to take over the reigns. Watch it improve in a week.

Return to “The Lunch Room”