LaTrobe Glider

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Craig

LaTrobe Glider

Post by Craig »

The LaTrobe Uni website has added a timetable for an upgraded internal campus bus service for the Bundoora campus, now operating under the name of "LaTrobe Glider".

Link - http://www.latrobe.edu.au/transport-cen ... -melbourne

2014 Timetable - https://web.archive.org/web/20140125190 ... urtesy-bus
2014 Map - https://web.archive.org/web/20130726092 ... -Route.pdf

Services have been upgraded from half-hourly to 20 minutes, with the lunch break being eliminated.

The service will now continue past 6pm, with the last loop at 9:10pm.

After 9:30pm an after hours on-demand security bus operates until 2am. This service will operate also operate on weekends.

It is not clear when the service will recommence for 2015 - Orientation will take place from February 23, with classes resuming the week after.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
burrumbus

Re: LaTrobe Glider

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Craig.Midland Tours,when under Reservoir Bus Co ownership had the contract for this service.
Have Dysons still the contract ??
Cheers.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Craig wrote:
After 9:30pm an after hours on-demand security bus operates until 2am.

What is a "security bus"?
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

RailwayBus wrote: What is a "security bus"?
Typically a service that ferries students afraid of walking alone at night right to their cars.

It can be on-demand or scheduled.

Because it's driven by security staff who'd be there anyway there would be no added staff cost.

Mention is made of LaTrobe's Security bus at: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/library/facil ... nded-hours

Monash Uni has one every 30 min approx operating to a set route. http://www.monash.edu/about/who/safety- ... y/services It even has a live tracker viewable on the web. http://203.143.84.179/EL/Monash/Clayton-Campus.html

Do these services aid safety? They do provide reassurance and comfort to people who feel vulnurable. And they may be seen as satisfying 'duty of care' obligations. Which makes the university feel good and reduces exposure to potential litigation.

But using buses to substitute for an easy 10 min walk denormalises the practice of people walking at night. Ie if the bus takes walkers away fewer people are seen walking, which increases the perception that it's unsafe, so fewer do it, increasing risk further in a vicious spiral. Even worse is the advice from well-meaning police and safety campaigners etc who warn people against walking alone at night - a measure that reduces personal liberties, lowers perception of safety and 'blames the victim' if something does go wrong. All this is on-topic here since the willingness of people to walk at night directly affects the patronage and viability of after dark bus, train and tram services.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Matty G
Favourite Vehicle: B10M

Post by Matty G »

Hello,

We also have shuttle buses running at Victoria University from our Footscray Park and St. Albans Campuses.
Services operate during higher ed. semester and begin in the early evening and run through till about midnight. These are also operated by campus security in a mini bus, primarily taking students on campus to the local railway station... although the Footscray Park one does extend up to the Student Village near Highpoint.

Not sure of the patronage on the FTS shuttle, but the STA shuttle normally carries very few pax after 9pm, once the library closes.

The 2014 Timetables can be found here for those interested:

Footscray Park Campus shuttle:
http://www.vu.edu.au/sites/default/file ... le-Bus.pdf

St. Albans Campus shuttle:
http://www.vu.edu.au/sites/default/file ... le-Bus.pdf

The service is scheduled to operate again this year. Timetables have remained much the same over recent years.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Some further details of the 2014 security bus service operated at LaTrobe Uni can be found here - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au
PaxInfo wrote:Do these services aid safety? They do provide reassurance and comfort to people who feel vulnurable. And they may be seen as satisfying 'duty of care' obligations. Which makes the university feel good and reduces exposure to potential litigation.

But using buses to substitute for an easy 10 min walk denormalises the practice of people walking at night. Ie if the bus takes walkers away fewer people are seen walking, which increases the perception that it's unsafe, so fewer do it, increasing risk further in a vicious spiral. Even worse is the advice from well-meaning police and safety campaigners etc who warn people against walking alone at night - a measure that reduces personal liberties, lowers perception of safety and 'blames the victim' if something does go wrong. All this is on-topic here since the willingness of people to walk at night directly affects the patronage and viability of after dark bus, train and tram services.
The need for these after dark buses is an unfortunate bi-product of sprawling suburban campuses that were originally designed in the 1960s to cater for students arriving/departing by car rather than using more sustainable modes or for the influx of international students who now reside near-by.

For instance, at Monash Clayton & La Trobe much of the on campus accommodation is over a kilometre from the main campus buildings, past empty sporting ovals, feature lakes etc. If someone was to be approached by an unsavoury character on the walk back to their car or dorm, there are few ways to attract the attention of a good samaritan - compare this to suburban areas, there is usually a lit-up house you can run to, or flag down a passing motorist. This makes students more vulnerable, and when they are likely to be carrying valuable laptops and recent model phones, makes them a potential target.

In the case of VU, and the former Swinburne Lilydale campus, these buses are the result of building campuses just a little bit too far from train stations. Again, students are faced with 10 - 15 min walk through carparks and parkland perceived as unsafe after dark .

Other than wanting to be seen as proactive in their duty of care to existing students, no doubt universities want to protect their reputation as a safe place to study to ensure they continue to attract future students and retain government funding and the lucrative full-paying students.

I am not quite convinced that running these buses is necessarily restricting 'personal liberties' - all it would take is a student to hear about an incident on a campus somewhere else in Australia to think twice before deciding if they wanted to risk walking alone across an empty campus at night or not. They then might decide not to utilise the library/computer labs after dark or even skip some night classes. The security bus option gives them the opportunity to continue to conduct their normal activities in a way that gives the students piece of mind.

Kind Regards

krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Before we all get too carried away, many students walk around LaTrobe of a night time without feeling the need for a personal security guard. When I studied there, I had no qualms about driving to the computer lab submission boxes in the Beth Gleeson building to hand stuff in at 2am or 4am in the morning. Much of the student accommodation is a short walk to the east (Chisholm, Menzies Colleges, etc, Barnes Way is probably as far as it gets although I could understand why people may not feel comfortable walking that distance in the dark). Having said that 15 years ago I walked around that area as the National Bus 250 ran later than the last train and I would then walk from Waterdale Rd to Macleod station where I'd parked my car if I missed the last train home. Obviously I survived :wink: Bundoora is a fairly safe area and has comparatively little crime so plenty of people walk around the campus at night, and as PaxInfo noted, this makes it safer as a result thus inducing a positive spiral of both real security and perception.

VUT on the other hand I could understand might be different. An AO acquaintance had many months off after patrolling Footscray station in the daytime with his crew. A certain nationality is known for loitering on the pedestrian bridges at Footscray station and harassing and robbing VUT students of anything valuable such as laptops or calculators. He was patrolling the station on the day, and his crew asked one group of this nationality to move on. It is worth noting that the nationality in question come from a country where the authorities tend to be corrupt and therefore receive little respect. The problem is this attitude continues once members of said nationality arrive here. The group of young males loitering told my AO acquaintance and his crew ' Respect us, respect OUR bothers' and proceeded to belt the crap out of my AO friend. The rest of the crew spent the next few minutes trying to keep these young males from finishing their attack until the police arrived a few minutes later when they ran off. Maybe it was a one off, but I gather from other stories as well that things are a little less genteel in parts of the west and maybe a security bus may well be better utilised.
Craig

Post by Craig »

The LaTrobe website has now been updated to indicate the Glider campus bus will commence on 16 February 2015, timed perfectly for international students who arrive for their official registration and enrolment, a week ahead of orientation and two weeks before classes kick off for the 2015 academic year.

A route map is also available - http://www.latrobe.edu.au/__data/assets ... ERLOOP.pdf - the route has been streamlined, in particular it no longer operates past Charles LaTrobe College on Kingsbury Dr.

A photo has surfaced on Facebook of a new BCI bus purchased for the shuttle, in a striking all-over wrap. The loop will continue to be operated by Dysons.

Kind Regards

ozzie.freddo

Post by ozzie.freddo »

And the service is still running (during the academic year) and being appreciated by the adjoining residents as well as the students.
ozzie.freddo

Post by ozzie.freddo »

With the commencement of the 2023 academic year, the route has been altered to no longer include the adjacent Springthorpe Estate which has a smattering of student accommodation in the remnant buildings from the Mont Park hospitals era.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”