Television channel discussions

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Re: Let's fix Channel Nine

Post by scott »

They have axed local night programming on 3AW in Melbourne, in favour of John Stanley being networked from 2GB, and could network Steve Price's afternoon show into Melbourne, doing away with Denis Walter. There are expected to be changes galore as new management is under pressure to cut costs.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

scott wrote:They have axed local night programming on 3AW in Melbourne, in favour of John Stanley being networked from 2GB, and could network Steve Price's afternoon show into Melbourne, doing away with Denis Walter. There are expected to be changes galore as new management is under pressure to cut costs.
They could have the idea of networking Ray Hadley in place of Neal Mitchell or Allan Jones in place of the local 3AW breakfast program well it won't be long till 3AW turns out like 4BC where all shows are networked from 2GB
scott

Post by scott »

As part of Channel 9's acquisition of Macquarie Media, 3AW weekend overnight presenter, Alan Pearsall has been axed after 29 years, to be replaced by Luke Grant of 2GB.

Now get rid of Tony Moclair from weekday overnights, he is dreadful.

And Karl is back on Today.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Today show could be fixed by getting rid of Tony Jones. He is unwatchable when he is on TV for these reasons—too opinionated, spouts a lot of crass comments on TV and condescending. His interview towards Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka was cringeworthy and asked a lot of lewd questions on TV. Naomi Osaka is an elite tennis player with a lot of respect towards the game.
Also. Nine can also be fixed by getting rid of the controversial show Married at First Sight. These promos of this show was enough to throw up. I can’t stand this insipid dribble coming from these wannabes. There have been lots of controversies on MAFS with meltdowns and heated arguments.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It's either MAFS, The Block, or some other wannabe romance show on 9 (probably pointed out a million times by others now). Again we've reached the bottom of the bucket. The days of fictional TV shows that were actually watchable are long dead, only to be remembered in our memories when our Networks still weren't perfect but weren't complete trash. Our Networks are too stubborn & cheap to produce proper content now and with streaming media here (Not blaming that) I think they've thrown in the towel. I seriously wonder if by 2030 ... 2040 and so on if FTA TV will still be around and whether this is all the garbage that's on now they'll still be airing.

I think all shows on FTA around here have had their share of controversies but after the new episode comes out it's quietly swept under the rug and forgotten about unless its made out to be a big problem, of course it won't stop the networks from still running / airing these shows.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
scott

Post by scott »

The Block is another of my pet hates- watching people arguing over stupid things, putting people down, being dodgy and generally being a PITA. The couple who slammed the Block a couple of weeks ago over the editing of their dummy spits won this year's competition and took away $730,000. Sadly these shows are a reflection of our society these days. Youtube has almost totally replaced free to air TV in our household.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The common lower class way the obviously carefully selected contestants speak and the staple of commonly played FM radio station pop songs in the background make it obvious it's designed to appeal to the low to moderate intelligence masses.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Campbelltown busboy

Are steaming services killing broadcast television

There is a threat to broadcast and syndicated television in Australia and that threat is streaming services like
Free to air networks streaming apps
Netflix
Stan
Amazon Prime streaming
Foxtel Now
Foxtel Go
Disney+ (if Disney entertainment brings it to Australia)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Television channel discussions

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not so much a threat as developments which have been expected for a number of years. Foxtel Now and Foxtel Go are no more of a threat than Foxtel (and initially Optus) have been for a number of years now.
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Shoudy Chen wrote: Nine can also be fixed by getting rid of the controversial show Married at First Sight. These promos of this show was enough to throw up. I can’t stand this insipid dribble coming from these wannabes. There have been lots of controversies on MAFS with meltdowns and heated arguments.
I wouldn't call reality TV "controversial," I'm with Michael Rowland from the ABC who describes it as "the absolute cesspit of TV."

Agree with other commenters here who states these programs are a sad reflection of our society today; they're absolutely pitched towards the lowest common denominator. I guess it's just like a lot of the "top hits" currently playing on the radio; algorithm-generated garbage that's edited to within an inch of its life to make it the perfect recipe to top the ratings (who even rates this crap as being good, anyway!?).

There's plenty to watch on YouTube; whether fact, fiction, comedy, serious or anything in between. Always a good laugh to be had from The Two Ronnies, versus the current comedy series we have today that just go, and on, and on and on, and on and on, and on and on, and on.
Campbelltown busboy

This thread should be renamed to Australian television discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Why? As it is, it is not limited to any state.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote:Why? As it is, it is not limited to any state.
I didn't notice that you already changed the name of the thread before I posted my reply
scott

Post by scott »

I saw the promo for the revamped MKR coming to our screens. I bet to be played again and again while we are trying to watch the cricket.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/mkr-th ... promo.html

I think it has well and truly jumped the shark. Time for something fresh.
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

More changes to channel 9 as the Today show returns with Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon next year and Sonia Kruger leaves Today Extra to channel 7

Also, by viewing the second article, it looks like Tony Jones will not be returning either to the Today show next year (probably will still present the Sport on 9 News Melbourne) although he says he won't be completely leaving the show

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/karl-s ... today.html
https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/a-tale ... wells.html

Wonder how the ratings will go for them.
Campbelltown busboy

JRBUS123 wrote:More changes to channel 9 as the Today show returns with Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon next year and Sonia Kruger leaves Today Extra to channel 7

Also, by viewing the second article, it looks like Tony Jones will not be returning either to the Today show next year (probably will still present the Sport on 9 News Melbourne) although he says he won't be completely leaving the show

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/karl-s ... today.html
https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/11/a-tale ... wells.html

Wonder how the ratings will go for them.
They should have just got Steve and Liz back then Today would be back to the way it was back in the 90s pre Liz going to 60 minutes
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I think at 75 Steve would be a bit past it.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote:I think at 75 Steve would be a bit past it.
I was going to say bring back the Today team from those years but with Steve being in his 70s Liz being the face of 60 minutes nobody knowing the current status of Monty the weather man and Ian Ross being dead for the last 5 years that would be hard to sort out
Swift

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:I think at 75 Steve would be a bit past it.
I was going to say bring back the Today team from those years but with Steve being in his 70s Liz being the face of 60 minutes nobody knowing the current status of Monty the weather man and Ian Ross being dead for the last 5 years that would be hard to sort out
You can't keep turning to the same old faces forever. We need new talent but the key word here is talent.
Campbelltown busboy

What about the producers of the today show pick out some young untried talents to host the show instead of going with a team that includes the nine news Sydney weekend presenter the networks former chief European correspondent 9 news Melbournes chief sports anchor and a 4 time recycled Georgie Gardener maybe if the young unknowns get people watching then that might get the ratings back up to where channel 9 wants them to be
scott

Post by scott »

Tony Jones also fills in on 3AW when Neil Mitchell goes away, he is due to fill in over the Christmas period. He did that in parallel with Today this year. Red Symons is also doing a stint filling in for Neil Mitchell over summer too.

I remember the Liz Hayes/Steve Liebmann duo on Today as a kid back in the 90's. They did it well, much more serious, but had fun at the same time, would not work today.
Campbelltown busboy

scott wrote:Tony Jones also fills in on 3AW when Neil Mitchell goes away, he is due to fill in over the Christmas period. He did that in parallel with Today this year. Red Symons is also doing a stint filling in for Neil Mitchell over summer too.

I remember the Liz Hayes/Steve Liebmann duo on Today as a kid back in the 90's. They did it well, much more serious, but had fun at the same time, would not work today.
Ben Fordham does the Today show from time to time he was on there full time for about 4 or 5 years but he had to give it up because doing Today and a high rating radio show on 2GB got too much for him
Swift

Post by Swift »

Before his radio gig started, Ben did a tv report on shock jocks on the am talk stations and commented on how aggressive they sometimes got with their callers and now he's like that himself from time to time. Nothing like immersing yourself in the culture eh Benny?
Campbelltown busboy

I was reading that Sony entertainment cancelled the contracts of all Days Of Our Lives cast members as there is a possibility that NBC won't take on the anymore seasons of the show after the upcoming season is aired in America google days of our lives cancelled for more details
Swift

Post by Swift »

My mates mum won't know what to do if The Bald and the Ugly gets cancelled!!

Return to “The Lunch Room”