New Ventura Artic on route 788.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Bradley
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk4, Volgren Artic.

New Ventura Artic on route 788.

Post by Bradley »

Ventura (Rosebud) #1271 (BS02 MF) a Volvo B8RLEA, Volgren "Optimus" seen on a 788 route service from Portsea seen about to complete it journey before proceed to Portsea at Frankston (14/2/2017).
Ventura (Rosebud) #1271 (BS02 MF) a Volvo B8RLEA, Volgren "Optimus" seen on a 788 route service from Portsea seen about to complete it journey before proceed to Portsea at Frankston (14/2/2017).
Cheers

Bradley.
Alex on the Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113CRB/Ansair Commuter

Re: New Ventura Artic on route 788.

Post by Alex on the Bus »

I believe the most appropriate response to this is: phwoar!
Oh, what a perfect world this world would be,
If he was President now - but he's not.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Alex on the Bus wrote:I believe the most appropriate response to this is: phwoar!
In the normal context of the use of that word, if I saw a girl looking like that I wouldn't be saying "phwoar!! :wink: Certainly don't try "you look like a bus" on any member of the opposite sex. :lol:

Anyway, it has a high aisle with steps at the back - almost there but not quite. You need Scania N series chassis.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

tonyp wrote:Anyway, it has a high aisle with steps at the back - almost there but not quite. You need Scania N series chassis.
The route that it runs on is nearly 90 minutes (and 55km) long and exists to provide the trunk service the communities along the southern peninsula that are between 45 and 90 minutes travel time from Frankston, if anything it needs a semi coach!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

BroadGauge wrote: The route that it runs on is nearly 90 minutes (and 55km) long and exists to provide the trunk service the communities along the southern peninsula that are between 45 and 90 minutes travel time from Frankston, if anything it needs a semi coach!
That would call for a double decker or 14 metre with high seating capacity. Why then did they buy the wrong bus for the wrong service?
Tiger Bruce

Post by Tiger Bruce »

I rode on 1271 on Tues.14 Feb EX Frankston to Rosebud NO MYKI terminals fitted so all passengers got a free ride! This new bus has been on the 788 run for a few days . A double decker bus could not be used on this route due to the lack of clearance under the Martha Cove tunnel.
Tiger Bruce

Post by Tiger Bruce »

Ventura Rosebud depot have 3 scania 14.5m buses 474 484 & 491 with up to 56 seats the Volvo artic. has 57 seats I am lead to believe, with a much larger standing capacity than the 14.5m Scanias
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

Tiger Bruce wrote:Ventura Rosebud depot have 3 scania 14.5m buses 474 484 & 491 with up to 56 seats the Volvo artic. has 57 seats I am lead to believe, with a much larger standing capacity than the 14.5m Scanias
#1271 actually replaced #484 which has been downgraded to Spare/School Bus. They also have former Pakenham Unit #65 (Scania L94UA/Volgren “CR224L”)
Tiger Bruce

Post by Tiger Bruce »

With the overcrowding on route 788 services Both am / pm school time it is obvious that the largest capacity bus is not the answer. With a frequency of 45 min.all day Mon. to Fri. it seems an impossible task. I would suggest that an extra 20 min. service be introduced during the school am / pm times maybe between Mornington & Rye. I see no need to run extra services all the way to Portsea. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I've already posted my idea in another thread but I'll state it here too. If the frequency is not going to be increased. Then I believe ptv should allow kms for Ventura to double bank a couple of short trips between Mcrae and Frankston in both peak to supplement the full loadings of full trips.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Wow, I'd love one (or some) of these Optimus B8 artics in Sydney but our Liberal Government made it a public stance of no more new arctic buses, no ifs/buts and the existing artics will be slowly phased out.

Anyway back on topic, for my next visit to Melbourne, can someone here tell me what route(s) does this bus run on? Is it only the 788? All day or only during peak hours?
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Hi, depending when you are coming to Melbourne
Optimus artics run route 788 from Capel Sound depot, can be on the run during the day
But Dandenong depot now has a couple as well, Mentone in peak is probably the best time to get them
There is at least 2 more awaiting delivery

Cheers Venturatiger
MCI9

Post by MCI9 »

Tiger Bruce wrote:I rode on 1271 on Tues.14 Feb EX Frankston to Rosebud NO MYKI terminals fitted so all passengers got a free ride! This new bus has been on the 788 run for a few days . A double decker bus could not be used on this route due to the lack of clearance under the Martha Cove tunnel.
Double deckers can be used on routes to 788 ect,greyhound ran them a trial has been done all was ok but security was a big prob tunnel not a prob grenda didn't go ahead with them hence 94 ect long n low scanias should have been d\decks
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

MCI9. I too would suggest the martha cove tunnel would be a problem. Don't have the exact height off the top of my head so I could be wrong but don't think so. When you talk about a greyhound trial, it suggests some time ago. That would have been long before the martha cove tunnel was even talked about, its around 5-10 years old.

EDIT: built in 2006, height is 4.3 metres so would be pushing to get a double decker under.
MCI9

Post by MCI9 »

It would be OK for d,deck they got under Dudley street bridge easy 4.1they used to get under volgren decker
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

MCI9 wrote:It would be OK for d,deck they got under Dudley street bridge easy 4.1they used to get under volgren decker
Nope, a Volgren Optimus decker is just about 4.4m tall. So it would either be a scrape or a crash.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Both the current Volgren Optimus decker and the previous CR223LD (which was built for south-east Asian operators) were each 4.4 m tall, meaning the bus would either roll the top off, crash, or scrape off the 10 cm. A Gemilang decker, however, is 4.26 m tall meaning you may potentially be able to fit it through Martha Cove Tunnel, but you would really be pushing.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.

Return to “Photos - Melbourne/Vic”