STA Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

Re: STA Observations 2019

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

joshurandazzo wrote:It's a shame that STA does not want to replace the gas tanks on the CNG O 405NH's as they could of gone 5+ more years. I adore the CNG O 405NH's i adore the sound of the ZF 5HP 500 gearbox and the classic hubs. yes some are unhealthy but they have a certain character that the new buses don't have. Id rather one of these anyday over a B8RLE or a Ecolifed K280UB. I remember a time when there was over a 100 of them in port botany depot it was like heaven one after the other they keept on coming even if you didn't get one you would still get a enthusing CNG O 500LE or a B12BLE CB60. But now there's only 42 of them and it's very sad. you only see them commonly during peak hour now. the same with Ryde's O 405NH's but waverleys ones are still use a decent amount on the 314 and 379.

Here is a recording of a nice one operating a 314 to bondi junction. This one use to have loud NBS from memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmnBX_s1FM&t=52s

Here is 1215 it had one of the loudest Gearboxes at Port Botany bus depot. This one was withdrawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lmqrLdMTU&t=29s.
The thing is, nothing in this world can avoid ageing - it's just the way life works and they're meanwhile already almost 20 years old (which I find myself hard to believe!). I do consider the 0405NH CNG's had almost become a Sydney bus icon more or less, but some day, they got to retire and if the maintenance costs are too high, then its not worth it. They've had a good run, but at some day STA will have to say bye to all their vehicles.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

joshurandazzo wrote:It's a shame that STA does not want to replace the gas tanks on the CNG O 405NH's as they could of gone 5+ more years. I adore the CNG O 405NH's i adore the sound of the ZF 5HP 500 gearbox and the classic hubs. yes some are unhealthy but they have a certain character that the new buses don't have.
I'm a Perthite (and I'm not sure how yours differ in terms of driver amenities), nonetheless I enjoy driving ours - compared to newer buses they stop and go when you want them to, and they do it smoothly. It's the difference between a bus trying to outsmart the driver at every turn and one that gives the driver real control. They're not as quick as our Volvos, but their performance is very consistent with the single-point CNG injection conversion they received a few years back.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

^I forget you guys have the same blinkin bus!! Where were your bodies built and have yours been slowly decommissioned in dribs and drabs? Are they on their way to a withdrawal date?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote:^I forget you guys have the same blinkin bus!! Where were your bodies built and have yours been slowly decommissioned in dribs and drabs? Are they on their way to a withdrawal date?
The first five (1772-1776) were Victorian-built ones, I think (VGxxxx body number). The remainder (1777-1819) Volgren Perth.

Withdrawal has been over the last three years in bits and bobs. Only five at most in service now with very little time in service to go.
Swift

Post by Swift »

^No no no no no no no. I was referring to your Custom Coaches 0405NH CNGs like Sydney's ones. Not anything Volgren.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote:^No no no no no no no. I was referring to your Custom Coaches 0405NH CNGs like Sydney's ones. Not anything Volgren.
None of our NHs are CC-bodied. Only two CNG artic demonstrators plus a few odd-balls in regional areas that came from Adelaide.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Merc1107 wrote:
Swift wrote:^No no no no no no no. I was referring to your Custom Coaches 0405NH CNGs like Sydney's ones. Not anything Volgren.
None of our NHs are CC-bodied. Only two CNG artic demonstrators plus a few odd-balls in regional areas that came from Adelaide.
I saw a recent YouTube video of a CNG 0405NH that looked like Sydney's Citaro style examples. So Volgren must have made their own Citaro style body for the Perth contract.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Maybe this is what you're thinking of? Despite having a Citaro front, this is a MAN NL232 CNG with ABM body, in Adelaide, not Perth. They look and sound practically identical to the O405NH CNGs that Sydney has.

Swift

Post by Swift »

^ No, it was a Transperth 0405NH CNG. I assumed it was Custom Coaches as it sounded exactly the same as a Sydney one and the video only showed the interior ride.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote:^ No, it was a Transperth 0405NH CNG. I assumed it was Custom Coaches as it sounded exactly the same as a Sydney one and the video only showed the interior ride.
Can you link us the video to see and identify the bus in question?
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

If it was a Transperth bus, all the pre-CR228L Volgren models had very similar air ducts to the CC model. Both the Perth and Sydney models also have the same A/C and the same ZF Ecomat 5HP500 gearbox.
Basically, most of the mechanical bits (the only things that change the noise) would have been the same, save for the gas tanks, it's just that they received a different bodywork.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

The Transperth O405NH CNG bus body in question is the Volgren CR225L.

https://www.perthbus.info/report.php?vid=TP1812
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It looks as though route 362 started up again on 1st November https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /362/31362
Living in the Shire.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Fleet Lists wrote:It looks as though route 362 started up again on 1st November https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /362/31362
Route 362 usually starts on the first Saturday of Sculptures by the Sea and runs till Anzac Day. It was running from the 26th of October this year.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

How often do rigid high floor buses run on 333? I caught m/o 3500 on the 333 this evening. I thought it is rare enough for 333 to operate on rigid buses, let alone a high floor one.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

marcnut1996 wrote:How often do rigid high floor buses run on 333? I caught m/o 3500 on the 333 this evening. I thought it is rare enough for 333 to operate on rigid buses, let alone a high floor one.
As of late I've been seeing one or two high floor rigids on the 333 along Elizabeth Street in the AM Peak each morning. It seems to have been occurring more often recently than it used to, but it has always occurred from time to time.
citaro393
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405NH CC Citaro

Post by citaro393 »

Noticed an alert on Tripview that Alison Road buses will be returning to busway full time from tomorrow. Couldn't find any information on transportnsw.info but departures from busway stops show services all day starting tomorrow morning: https://transportnsw.info/trip#/departu ... ible=false

Will be interesting to see buses and trams using the busway together.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Extracted the full note from TripView.
Interestingly they don't appear to be stopping at the new Moore Park loop stop outside the SCG, and indeed the stop number that used to exist in Google maps and TripView seems to have been deleted.

A post on another board suggested the signalled crossing outside Sydney Boys/Girls has been closed.
Would have though that having these buses stop at the loop, and then use Tibby Cotter to cross Anzac Pde would have been the temporary solution till the LR opens and the bus routes change.

---

Moore Park Busway stop changes

Updated Fri 8 Nov 09:47
Sun 10 Nov 00:01 - Sun 17 Nov 00:00

Details
From Sunday 10 November, Alison Rd buses 338, 339, 373, 374, 376 and 377 will now run full time and in both directions on Moore Park Busway using these bus stops:

Towards the City
- MPB after Alison Rd (203348)
- MPB at Robertson Rd (202138)
- MPB at Lang Rd (202144)

Towards the eastern suburbs
- MPB after Lang Rd (202143)
- MPB at Robertson Rd (202145)
- MPB before Alison Rd (202146)

As a result, these buses will no longer use these Anzac Pde bus stops:

Towards the City
- Alison Rd before Doncaster Av (203143)
- Anzac Pde opposite Robertson Rd (202111)
- Anzac Pde before Cleveland St (202112)
- Anzac Pde at Sydney Girls High School (202116)

Towards the eastern suburbs
- Anzac Pde opposite Sydney Boys High School (202123)
- Anzac Pde after Lang Rd (202128)
- Anzac Pde before Robertson Rd (202129)
- Alison Rd opposite Doncaster Av (203337)

Please follow the directions on signs at impacted stops for further direction on where to catch your bus.

Routes affected
338 - PrePay-Only - Clovelly to Central Railway Square
339 - PrePay-Only - Clovelly to City Gresham St
373 - PrePay-Only - Coogee to City Circular Quay via Belmore Rd
374 - PrePay-Only - Coogee to City Circular Quay via Bream St
376 - PrePay-Only - Maroubra Beach to Central Railway Square
377 - PrePay-Only - Maroubra Beach to City Circular Quay
338 - PrePay-Only - Central Railway Square to Clovelly
339 - PrePay-Only - City Gresham St to Clovelly
373 - PrePay-Only - City Circular Quay to Coogee via Belmore Rd
374 - PrePay-Only - City Circular Quay to Coogee via Bream St
376 - PrePay-Only - Central Railway Square to Maroubra Beach
377 - PrePay-Only - City Circular Quay to Maroubra Beach
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The Dynamic route maps used with Transport for NSW timetables also show the changed stops as from tomorrow.

It appears that TfNSW has not considered it worthwhile issuing a news advice about this.
Living in the Shire.
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

I am very happy to see that the busway will be opening up again. I am however concerned that there are no stops between Lang Road and the end of the busway. Surely a stop near the Tibby Cotter Bridge would have been a good idea, particularly given its proximity to both Sydney Boys/Girls and the SCG. Having to cross Lang Road to access all Busway routes is a significantly less than ideal outcome for those using the facilities in Moore Park North.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

J_Busworth wrote:Surely a stop near the Tibby Cotter Bridge would have been a good idea, particularly given its proximity to both Sydney Boys/Girls and the SCG. Having to cross Lang Road to access all Busway routes is a significantly less than ideal outcome for those using the facilities in Moore Park North.
There is a stop on Anzac Pde southbound and a pair of deleted stops on the busway complete with indents that apparently aren't being put back into use. But that stop is not near the high schools - it's 800m to Sydney Boys High School from that stop and over 1km to Sydney Girls High School - because of how the Tibby Cotter bridge is designed. It's half the distance for passengers, students or otherwise, to walk from Lang Rd.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

J_Busworth wrote:I am very happy to see that the busway will be opening up again.
Interestingly the busway has been closed for integration and testing longer than for track construction - July 2019-November 2019 vs December 2016-February 2017
moa999

Post by moa999 »

hornetfig wrote: because of how the Tibby Cotter bridge is designed. It's half the distance for passengers, students or otherwise, to walk from Lang Rd.
Maybe for Sydney Girls.. but you've also got to wait for two sets of lights.
But Sydney Boys is definitely closer to Tibby Cotter.

I had expected them to use the new Moore Park bus loop/interchange for all buses using the Busway - surely they couldn't have built that monstrosity just for special events.
For the SCG matches they have to date only used Stand A (NE one)

Albeit they also need some paving to the Tibby Cotter bridge, there's about 10m of grass to pave.
Swift

Post by Swift »

That unwanted bridge went way over budget. It's a monument to mismanagement if this city.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Agreed.
Constructed on way too tight a timeframe to get value, and the govt allowed heritage interests to push for a way more complicated and expensive design,
Which is hilarious given what got built for the light rail.

It does get a good amount of use (particularly by cyclists day to day) and moreso on game days, though it could be improved -
1. Force those walking up/down Foveaux on event days to use the bridge rather than the crossing - also has a substantial traffic benefit pre and post game on that busy intersection
2. Have some carparking on Moore Park West with exits northbound on Anzac Pde only, which again helps spread out the carpark traffic on exit.

But in the meantime the buses should be pulling off the Busway into the Moore Park loop stop, and the kids can use the Tibby Cotter Bridge to cross the road.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”