What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

"Does this bus go to Maitland?" - The destination says it's going to Singleton so of course not

People who see their bus coming but don't have their form of payment ready. I reckon matters could be sped up if they were to make services around here Pre-pay only (only tap on using a contactless / opal card). Most people probably have their card in a phone case or easy to reach area so hopefully they shouldn't have to dig from here on if services were to be made contactless.

Maitlands ageing train network, I only hope by 2040 we're still not reliant on a 2 car set train. It's hard enough to get a seat as on all trains going to Newcastle between 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM are chocker bloc with people with no seats to spare along with little standing room and the train hasn't even reached halfway to Newcastle yet. I have no idea why this isn't being seen as a problem, in Sydney it definitely would be, I guess down here we don't matter too much because we're "regional" so to speak. I'd hate to see what the future holds and we're still reliant on 2 cars while at that point Sydney is up-to "x" car sets.

People who hog the 3 seat layout on trains. Give that seat to someone with more than two people or move to a 2 seat chair.

The High School students who barged onto the train before departing passengers could disembark. Their even worse on the Endeavour set trains as they'll hang out by the middle doors usually making exiting by them a nightmare. No consideration at all.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

"Does this bus go to Maitland?" - The destination says it's going to Singleton so of course not
Depending on the route, it could go VIA Maitland?

The seating problem is not confined to the Hunter line. Trying riding trains in Sydney. It is not being seen as a problem here either,

School children who barge onto the trains. Simple solution - barge off yourself and push them back with a friendly reminder about waiting.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:People who see their bus coming but don't have their form of payment ready. I reckon matters could be sped up if they were to make services around here Pre-pay only (only tap on using a contactless / opal card). Most people probably have their card in a phone case or easy to reach area so hopefully they shouldn't have to dig from here on if services were to be made contactless.
Hah, you can't even trust the travelling public to have these ready! People try and tap their phone on the readers; their phones have NFC enabled and their phone case already has half a dozen other cards in it, so naturally the SCV spits the dummy and they have to fish their card out. Usually they'll stand in everyone's way and increase the dwell times in doing so.

Which leads me to something that gives me the shits... We only have one validator per door here in Perth. And our buses have full-size rear doors. Meanwhile much of Brisbane's fleet has those single-leaf rear doors. With two validators, front and back, passengers can alight surprisingly quickly compared to Perth.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

3805 wrote:
MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: ...it will be way better if greens took liberal’s place then something will actually get done.
You. Can't. Be. Friggin. Serious. The greens? Dude!

Worried about climate change? Want the greens in power? What exactly are you doing to help? Do you use electricity? Maybe a smart phone? Do you buy consumables from a store?

Pull your head out of your arse. Or put your money where your mouth is and go live naked in a cave. That's what the greenies want us to do. The climate hasn't stopped changing since day dot. It's normal and natural. Trying to stop climate change is like trying to stop the tides. I should try to start a campaign to stop brainwashing by left-wing, tree-hugging bleeding-hearts loonies.
Well, I don’t exactly agree with all of the greens policies, when it comes to large corporations, I think of bus operators like Dysons, they’re pretty big, I don’t think they would appreciate it if greens took all of liberals seats, it would be better if they took the crossbench, where they could vote if they want new coal mines.

I am also currently investing in solar panels on top of my house and I also get my money from collecting rubbish.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
scott

Post by scott »

People who do not wait for other passengers to get off before boarding, and when a bus driver nicely tells them to wait they just get really angry.

Designline MANs (mainly the ones operating for Transdev) having faulty aircon and no one cares, driver told me when they try to book them up they get ignored, or it is never passed onto the workshop to be fixed.They can get like a sauna. At least the other operator of the Designline MAN's (Ventura) care, when an aircon failed in one I was on last summer, it was booked up, and changed over at the most convenient point.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Reminds me of a notorious Torrens Transit depot, which is only interested in meeting dispatch requirements, and doesn't give a toss whether or not a bus is in serviceable condition.

By far, the worst so-called 'depot' in Adelaide. The only way to put an end to their appalling practise would be for an asteroid to the strike the depot at 8 in the morning on a weekday so that it doesn't take most of the buses with it.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

That's a bit extreme. :twisted: An asteroid would take out Adelaide itself. I think you mean a small meteorite. Much less and better targeted damage. :wink:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
scott

Post by scott »

Petrol prices-$1.73 a litre in Melbourne yesterday, with 95 octane up to $1.92.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Websites that have absolutely terrible mobile layouts and buttons that barely function, it's 2019 not 2009. How can a major retailer have a mobile version of their website that can't even function properly on a modern phone? I'd expect this to be coming from some basic Indie website not a major retailer. I understand somewhat being an IT guy it can come down to browsers but if it's failing on one browser it's probably failing somewhere else on the others as well.

Sony & Playstation, their store is just full of anti-consumer pricing. I guess as long as your locked into their ecosystem they don't give two hoots to spare. Being charged $100 on a standard edition of a game when it's over a year old just screams anti-consumer & not friendly. Yet Brick & mortar stores have already slashed their prices on older games by now. Why is the digital market so stubborn to price drops? I thought it was suppose to help kick B&M stores into gear but B&M stores still seem to be doing a little better here.

The Heat

Services that automatically turn back on membership renewal, I shouldn't have to keep turning it back off when I resubscribe to a product or service. If I had it off, it means I want it off, end of story.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:Websites that have absolutely terrible mobile layouts and buttons that barely function, it's 2019 not 2009.
Then there's those of us using desktops or laptops whose web experience has been ruined with dopey mobilised websites with hard to read font colours, floating menu bars and other needless bloat.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

^ that's really on those whose website it is. It should be performing a device / resolution check, if the users specifications match those of a mobile device for example then they should be served the mobile version of the site.

There's really no reason Desktop users should be forced to deal with mobilised versions of desktop websites. That's just the owners website being lazy & using shortcuts.

Like I did say through, it's 2019 so they've had plenty of time to prepare and deal with these problems.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The lefty wannabe dictators getting their way and closing access to a public place like Ayers Rock. It isn't exclusive to one group of people. That's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I despise tourists and the damage they can cause but that's a matter of good management and tough enforcement for offenders.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Swift wrote:The lefty wannabe dictators getting their way and closing access to a public place like Ayers Rock. It isn't exclusive to one group of people. That's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I despise tourists and the damage they can cause but that's a matter of good management and tough enforcement for offenders.
And it might get even better (not); I heard on 3AW that there's another proposal for some sections of Victoria's Grampians to get this same outcome. Might as well just ban everywhere from public access. Hell, close the entire Hume Highway from public access too. Make it a 5 year imprisonment sentence for going outside and breathing air.

2. Melbourne Council wanting to pull a Sydney and attempt to pound the cars out of the CBD. This in the state capital that's been officially listed as the city with the worst congested traffic in Australia.

3. Summer. The heat. And particularly self-entitled morons who are quite simply summer loving activists, as in they don't hold back in pressuring someone to go out when it's 38 degrees out, and that someone, 1. hates the hot weather and/or 2. is suffering from heat exhaustion/stroke/stress. They also rip apart a winter-loving person for not going out and "enjoying the heat", calling them boring or no-life. ('Well I'm sorry you heads, but I don't happen to find sweating my guts out in the excess heat and nearly passing out to be "enjoyable". I will happily take -5 and snowing any day over that hellfire that is 38 and 90% humidity.')

4. re the Website layout discussion, I hate the mobile layouts with those little icons where there is no way of showing the text so someone who isn't used to it can actually know what happens when clicking those icons.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Is it true that Bustechs being delivered to Sydney were really devoid of accessibility ramps until more recently?

They could reduce the vehicle weight by even more, by eliminating windows completely.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:^ that's really on those whose website it is. It should be performing a device / resolution check, if the users specifications match those of a mobile device for example then they should be served the mobile version of the site.

There's really no reason Desktop users should be forced to deal with mobilised versions of desktop websites. That's just the owners website being lazy & using shortcuts.
Should've explained better - websites that appear as though they are being watered down for touch-screen users or look as though they belong on a mobile platform.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

• You'll need to sit down for this one
(I can't reduce the picture, but it stands out better with the picture): https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... res/?cs=12

• To the dirty person/s that gave me again another cold, because they refuse to cover their "beaks" and or noses when they cough and or sneeze. Thanks to you I had to miss 6029 going up the Blue Mountains, miss some other stuff.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Council over here did a similar thing but it's not on a road, rather in a new carpark. Some genius thought it'll be a good idea to stick a light pole (that's yet to be working from my POV) on the parking space tarmac, no not on the sidepath where it could've easily gone but the tarmac. No one kicked up a fuss about that one so looks like it's staying.

Auto-playing videos on websites, no one likes that crap yet website operators force this crap onto people

Websites that force you to use Adblock, if your site background wasn't covered up in ad's that made going around the website difficult, I probably wouldn't have to use Adblock. Gizmodo is one problematic site known for this.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

You'll definitely want some anti anti-adblock software as an addon, otherwise you'll soon be getting an impression that using this software is a criminal offence (it is legal). A lot of websites are installing software that picks up on this and prevents you from browsing until you disable it.

Personally, I just leave the website. For some reason, the Firefox addons are rubbish compared to what they were a year and a half ago.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

If you use a Firefox-derived browser, there should be an add-on available to you called "NoScript." Granted, it blocks every last bit of JavaSludge, Flush and everything else that makes websites function, but it also takes the anti-adblock stuff with it - so you'll at least be able to read the website, even if the formatting is a bit odd. It's a nice compromise if you want to read the content on the site, but don't want malware-infested advertisements popping up all over the place*

* And now what gives me the shits, website owners who have the audacity to call ad-blockers "stealing" when don't try their level best to make sure the advertisements are not a venue for the transmission of malware/viruses/whatever.
scott

Post by scott »

Channel Nine offering a 24/7 helpline for reality show contestants.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/10/nine-o ... stars.html

If you can't take the heat, don't go into the kitchen.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Merc1107 wrote:If you use a Firefox-derived browser, there should be an add-on available to you called "NoScript." Granted, it blocks every last bit of JavaSludge, Flush and everything else that makes websites function, but it also takes the anti-adblock stuff with it - so you'll at least be able to read the website, even if the formatting is a bit odd. It's a nice compromise if you want to read the content on the site, but don't want malware-infested advertisements popping up all over the place*

* And now what gives me the shits, website owners who have the audacity to call ad-blockers "stealing" when don't try their level best to make sure the advertisements are not a venue for the transmission of malware/viruses/whatever.
Just tried this, and it didn't work with bypassing paywalls. I'd like to know how to turn off requests from websites to send notifications, and also how to disable the pop-up videos on news websites.

Any way to do this?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Toilet paper rolls with that glue they use at the start. I tore one in strips trying to get it started. It seems the factory comes before the consumer.
scott

Post by scott »

Speaking of toilet items, those toilet duck blu dispensers you fit on the side of the toilet. They fall apart every time you try to put one on, the one I bought and fitted night was very flimsy.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I decided to call the consumer number of the toilet roll maker and they were very courteous about it and explained there is supposed to be a tail that you can pull the paper by to start it (which the other rolls had -but the problem one didn't) and they got me to read out the batch number on the packaging so they could investigate any problems with quality control. The woman on the phone thanked me for bringing it up with them.
If you have an issue with a product, call them and let them know!
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

TA3001 wrote: Just tried this, and it didn't work with bypassing paywalls. I'd like to know how to turn off requests from websites to send notifications, and also how to disable the pop-up videos on news websites.

Any way to do this?
A paywall is likely quite different; although you could double-check to make sure NoScript is blocking absolutely everything.

Popups for notifications and/or pop-up videos should be nixed with NoScript running (particularly the latter) - although it's been a while since I was using a browser with it loaded. Some modern browsers have the ability to block auto-playing videos - on Macs Safari provides this as an option.

Return to “The Lunch Room”