CDC Group News 2019

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

CDC Group News 2019

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Welcome to 2019
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
tonyp

Re: CDC Group News 2019

Post by tonyp »

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Unfortunately, there are no interior photos.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Unfortunately, there are no interior photos.
I assume they would be identical to the Latrobe Valley ones, with a fully low floor.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Some more information on the buses:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... -melbourne

This time when ABC says low floor they mean low floor!

Interior photos will probably have to wait until somebody on this forum gets on board and rides one.

Edit: the article says the first bus will start on routes 606 and 417 next week.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Started today.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Senior

Post by Senior »

1whoknows wrote:Started today.
Did you see it as proof?
Ive been there and done that....
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

A friend of mine noted it on the 8.35am service out of Elsternwick whilst he was driving his own coach.
David Horowitz.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Here it is in service yesterday on route 417.
Attachments
IMG_5000.JPG
David Horowitz.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

If somebody does get to ride it and takes photos inside I'd also be interested to know what's on top of the front wheelarches inside. In the Latrobe Valley ones there's a large box that iirc somebody said held a fuel tank! I've also had feedback that they struggle to get to 100 km/h on the highway, something that certainly doesn't trouble the fully electric demonstrator in NSW!
kadooment95
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K230UB/K280UB/K310UB

Post by kadooment95 »

tonyp wrote:If somebody does get to ride it and takes photos inside I'd also be interested to know what's on top of the front wheelarches inside. In the Latrobe Valley ones there's a large box that iirc somebody said held a fuel tank! I've also had feedback that they struggle to get to 100 km/h on the highway, something that certainly doesn't trouble the fully electric demonstrator in NSW!

As a driver at CDC Oakleigh, I can tell you that the hybrid system controls/computers & such are mounted on top of the front wheelarches. The diesel fill is on the drivers side above the wheel well, but the tanks are part of the frame itself. The ADBlue is further back close to where the normal diesel fill would be.
Oakleigh is still waiting for the first one to arrive, but once they do, I'll post pictures if I can.
Bus Suggestions

CDC Victoria has posted to Instagram information about them running a hybrid bus convoy from Volgren Dandenong down to the Wyndham Depot. The 5 bus convoy will leave Volgren on 24 May, 11:30 AM, running down Greens Rd, into Eastlink and down the Monash and Westgate Freeways.
ABS

Post by ABS »

There are incidental interior shots on CDCs Facebook page. The seats go up and over the rear wheel arches similar to a tram.

https://www.facebook.com/cdcvictoriabus ... =3&theater

Also on Transit Graphics page.

https://www.facebook.com/transitgraphic ... =3&theater
Bus Suggestions

Ah yes, pretty much the same as the Latrobe Valley ones save for the CDC Vic seat covers. Why isn't there a PTV seat cover already? Or is there one that I just haven't noticed?
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

No each operator specs their own seating material designs.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ABS wrote:There are incidental interior shots on CDCs Facebook page. The seats go up and over the rear wheel arches similar to a tram.

https://www.facebook.com/cdcvictoriabus ... =3&theater

Also on Transit Graphics page.

https://www.facebook.com/transitgraphic ... =3&theater
Many thanks for the photos. The low floor is great but there are some heavy compromises to valuable interior space - up the back and the front wheel arch. I feel uncomfortable with having a single leaf door on a city bus as it really compromises the potential introduction of all-door loading which will inevitably come in the future. They need to think ahead better with a vehicle with a 10-20 year life.
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

Tony P, not disagreeing with you about the single leaf door, but this is not really a new thing. I would have to say majority of operators these days (and for some time) have been speccing single leaf doors. Other than TSA, Transperth, and recent stationlink delvieries in NSW I cant really think of anyone who doesn't use single leaf, so there must be something in it.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Andy O wrote:Tony P, not disagreeing with you about the single leaf door, but this is not really a new thing. I would have to say majority of operators these days (and for some time) have been speccing single leaf doors. Other than TSA, Transperth, and recent stationlink delvieries in NSW I cant really think of anyone who doesn't use single leaf, so there must be something in it.
I suspect that in Adelaide and Canberra they're regretting it with the moves to all-door boarding. The use of double-leaf doors in NSW and WA simply demonstrates that those states are more advanced in their thinking, perhaps due to the pressures of busier bus operations.
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

tonyp,

Could you please outline why you think single leaf doors aren't good? I am trying to understand the issues here, but am unsure as to your reasoning.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

paulgersche wrote:tonyp,

Could you please outline why you think single leaf doors aren't good? I am trying to understand the issues here, but am unsure as to your reasoning.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Double leaf doors allow a higher rate of passenger movement (boarding and alighting) through the door, thus minimising dwell times, which is why they're standard in busy operations. You can get away with a single leaf door in a quiet operation, particularly if it's used for exit only, but it still creates a longer dwell. All of these issues have been studied and measured overseas.
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Thank you, tonyp!
Springyboy

Post by Springyboy »

Seems like all of CDC Oakleigh's hybrid buses are on the 630 for now. I've seen 152, 157, 159, 160, 161 & 162 all operating the route over the past week. I guess the straight section along North Rd makes it easier to test out, as there's less turns for the drivers to master on the new buses, plus seems like a shorter route overall compared to like the 605 for example. On one of my first rides on one of the new hybrid buses, the driver noticed another bus driver board and spoke to him briefly about the new bus before changing over. Main issue was takeoff being slow so more room needs to be given by cars to let the bus get back on the road, which makes sense due to the slower acceleration time with a smaller petrol content.
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

Springyboy wrote:Seems like all of CDC Oakleigh's hybrid buses are on the 630 for now. I've seen 152, 157, 159, 160, 161 & 162 all operating the route over the past week. I guess the straight section along North Rd makes it easier to test out, as there's less turns for the drivers to master on the new buses, plus seems like a shorter route overall compared to like the 605 for example. On one of my first rides on one of the new hybrid buses, the driver noticed another bus driver board and spoke to him briefly about the new bus before changing over. Main issue was takeoff being slow so more room needs to be given by cars to let the bus get back on the road, which makes sense due to the slower acceleration time with a smaller petrol content.
The Hybrids also make regular appearances on Route 605 as well

Unfortunately Oakleigh’s Hybrids’ have not been cleared to run the former Driver Bus routes, with Route 624 being a no go zone due to the Hybrid’s being too tall to go under the Queens Avenue rail bridge at Caulfield. Route 625 & 626 are also under review for the Hybrids due to the Well Street rail bridge in Brighton also possibly being too tall for the hybrids
scott

Post by scott »

Could the hybrids work route 612?
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

scott wrote:Could the hybrids work route 612?
Route 612 should be OK as well as Route 623 on weekdays given there’s no low obstacles on these routes. The Hybrid’s wouldn’t be able to run weekend 623’s due to most 623’s through run with Route 624 (ie a service dead runs from Glen Waverley to Oakleigh to run both services)

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”