What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Swift »

Westfield Eastgardens lousy air conditioning. I was there at 8am one time to have breakfast at a cafe in the 2nd level and it was already set to be a muggy corker of a day and it was hot and I was sweating there. When I went to the 3rd level the A/C had kicked in. When I called management they claimed it "takes a while" to come on fully or something like that.
But in general their A/C is plainly set very weak, just enough for most shoppers not to notice, though the other day I continued sweating after "escaping the heat and humidity" when I went inside.
Other shopping centres like Pacific Square Maroubra have theirs set far stronger and it's a genuine relief to be in there.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Google discontinuing the notifications widget (you know that little bell next to your profile account picture that tells you about things happening with your account) Granted I only get notified when Google photos chucks me a "look back at this day" or after uploading some photos and it shows me some examples of what the AI has done to my photo and gives me an option to save it or not. Now If I want to know what's going on I have to look deeper for notifications after it's removed.

Troublesome USB storage devices, have been asked to copy some files over to a USB I've been given and am not off to a great start. I've had the USB corrupt a file on me, it has decided after working fine yesterday it needs to be reformatted today losing what I copied to it yesterday if I want to continue using it (Thank goodness I had the feeling someone was going to go wrong and didn't cut the files over but rather copied them so they weren't lost to the digital blackhole if something goes wrong) the write speeds are just about... Very questionable for a USB in 2019. It's a new USB only pulled out of it's packaging yesterday and already it's come to this :/ If you Want to know the Brand it's Emtec. Granted I've used their USB's in the past and can't recall any trouble this one I've been given is utter terrible.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
scott

Post by scott »

Westfield Knox in Melbourne has dreadful air conditioning at times, my quick visit on this humid Melbourne day, it was almost non existant. The poor girl on the customer service desk was getting pretty hot and bothered(but still courteous) and the staff at Mcdonalds were wilting when I dropped for a Filet o Fish and a small cup of free water with ice.

Westfield Knox badly needs an upgrade, it is getting very worn, they seem afraid of spending money, there are two broken windows that have been not fixed for about three weeks, and they have too many nail salons.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

The new "City of Newcastle" logo.

Horrible can only be used to describe it. Instead of going for something like a Newcastle Icon (Newcastle Cathedral would've made a good logo for instance) They went for something as bland as a simple letter "N" with lines made out to represent an N. Apparently 50K may of been spent just to come up with this logo too.

Who came up with this and said "Let it pass it looks perfect for our city"? No it doesn't and 50K was just blown on this (according to some people on Facebook).

The old logo looked way better to be honest.

Forgot to mention yesterday, seeing two police officers on push bikes wait at one set of pedestrian crossing lights and eventually they go green and ride across and then they get to the next set of lights and go through a red crossing light and then proceed to ride on the footpath. Yeah not only would the rest of us get written up and ticketed for jaywalking if we did that but if we were bike riding we'd be written up for riding on the footpath too. Bit shameful to see this but as long as your the police you can break whatever rules you want and if something bad happens you get put on long service leave or whatever.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:The new "City of Newcastle" logo.
A similar thing happened in the town where I grew up. The school's logo went from being something that symbolised the town's history, to adopting an image of the local lighthouse with some "vomit-like" colours swirled around it to represent the Ocean... I've since seen at least one other school with a very similar logo.

These sorts of things are usually the result of angry, know-it-all young Mums who move into these places thinking they can ram their agenda down everyone's throats, completely disregarding what everyone else thinks.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:The new "City of Newcastle" logo.
It looks like a variation of the awful Newcastle Transport logo. It's like we're entering a phase of "let's see how generic we can make everything look" as part of a concerted effort to break the population's spirit, to make them easier to indoctrinate.
There is nothing that stands out about the logo that makes an impression on the mind like logos of old.
It's too "fussy".
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It just seems to pretty much be the go to for everything these days, instead of drawing up a nice icon or landmark that's in the area how about we make some irrelevant shape or letter our town logo?

I don't know whether to be upset about the money wasted on this or the final design of it. Either way I feel it doesn't represent Newcastle at all. Just because Newcastle starts with the letter "N" doesn't mean it represents the entire town / region.

I assume I should be happy the other local Hunter Councils haven't stooped to this level... yet.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Needing Playstation Plus to access Far Cry 5's Arcade maps despite being a solo player not in any multiplayer lobbies. I swear I could recall being able to access user created content in FC4 without the need of PS+. why I need PS+ this time around I don't know but this is ridiculous.

I previously let my PS+ lapse as it was getting so expensive and the only perk I used out of it was online gaming and maybe the occasional PS+ monthly game.

Bus drivers to this day who don't put in their authority card in the authority card slot and is nowhere to be seen for the entire journey, almost akin to driving without a license (Well of course their card is somewhere but it's not displayed where it should be by law)

Bus Drivers who either turn off stop buttons or forget to turn them on, there's been a few instances in the last couple of days I've nearly missed my stop because the stop button is off and of course you don't find out the stop button is off till the last second especially if your the only passenger on the bus.

Rover Coaches Mercedes-Benz OH1830LE CB60 EVO2, was on one of their Benz EVO 2 buses the other day and I don't think the OH1830LE is the best chassis for a low floor bus, you've only got the two front seats and then a small wheelchair bay and then it's huge steps from there. Since I'm talking about one of their buses (and still going on about their Benz EVO 2 here) It was chucking a technical problem with the stop request buzzer the other day when I rode it where when the stop button was pushed, it would make a quick beep and the blue stop light would quickly flash before going back off and you could push the button again and it would produce the same result despite the stop switch not being reset or front doors not being opened yet. The Driver almost missed a stop because he thought it was he's Wayfarer computer machine, he said something to me like "This buses stop buzzer makes an exact similar sound to the computer here and the computer will beep at me if I'm running late or behind and that's what I thought it was". The driver usually has another bus and he says the one he usually has has a beep that sounds different to the one the bus computer machine makes. Give me one of their 0405NH CB60's anyday of the week.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

TA3001 wrote:The (Adelaide) DPTI's DILL**** attitude towards the metro card and ticket vending machines on trains that don't accept notes!
This would require adding a a note acceptor into it (which are not cheap especially when you take into account that this would mean modifying the unit to accommodate it) and either forbidding the use of large notes (which would anger people because no doubt some idiot will want to buy a $4 ticket with a $100 note) or adding either a note dispenser (which would either mean a modification to make it larger or an outright replacement) or a note recycler (which would also probably mean a make it larger or a replacement while also costing more than a note acceptor).

Also having a note dispenser makes it more attractive to thieves as well as there will be more, lighter, cash in it.

edit: either a, not a either.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Well out of curiosity, do any other Australian cities have onboard vending machines which accept notes?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Melbourne and I believe Sydney don't have onboard vending machines period. You buy and validate your card at the train platforms.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Does every platform have a vending machine though? And do they accept notes?

I would think that it would be more dodgy pulling out cash at a lonely suburban outpost in the dark than on a train, given the crime rates over there.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Adelaide's peculiarity is the requirement to validate once on board - my experience is that all other Australian suburban railway networks have ticket vending machines and validators on the platform or concourse (where fare gates are fitted)
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

When a Stranger think it's okay to wrap their hands around your waist (or grab you by the waist or any sort of physical touching on the belly / waist area) to ask you to move, I'm not death and you could've asked nicely for me to move and I would've done so, I'm not entirely too sure why I still moved for her when she wrapped her hands around me like that. Oh boy was I tempted to really say something but thought "nah don't want to cause a scene" so left it there. Another moment where I was unfortunately caught off my guard and didn't have time to give the reaction I should've really given.

To be honest the only reason she asked me to move is because I was in a tight aisle in a small shop but there was plenty of other ways she could've gone or more appropriately asked me to move.

If a MLM scheme wasn't enough for Stockland greenhills (it's gone now thankfully) they've instead allowed those pushy people from some charity that don't care what your doing and get up in your face about the cause and "why you should donate" and get upset if you don't, I'm sure if I was a parent and I had a child that was busting to go to the bathroom and was getting upset, these morons would still take the time to bother you and get in your face because getting in ones face about an unimportant cause is more important to them instead of letting the parent and their child be.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

These meth addicted cockroaches in society who see it as ok to have their car windows open and yell out abuse to folks standing on the footpath.

Welcome to the era where drugs have taken over the world.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

My Pet hate is you go to a check-out at the supermarket only to be told you can use the auto check -out WITH A TROLLEY FULL OF GOODS i go to the check out for a reason untill they remove check outs I still use them i don't get paid or given a discount to do it my self plus it takes a kidds job .aLSO YOU GET A TOY WITH EVERY $30 DOLLARS BECAUSE i'M OLD they don't offer them SO I make sure I GET THEM AS i HAVE grandkidds in the country that don't get them ! also people who ask the check out person to feel the toys as their after a certain one take what you get! my rant is over!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Seeing a video on the "internet" of stupid idiots playing stupid with buses, Just watched one video where these one kid was holding onto the handle on the side of bus cargo door / bin bay door while on a scooter (the old kick ones) and then proceed say the driver was "going spazz" all because the driver was going to call the cops on these idiot kids for doing a stupid, dangerous and risky thing. I wouldn't blame the driver if he called the cops. Not only did the kid put he's own life at risk with he's stupidity, he also puts the driver job at risk if anything goes sour and guess who would be the first to blame if something went wrong?

I don't know the name for the technique they were doing but it's the old trick on holding onto a part of a vehicle and getting tagged along while it's moving. Yeah that. They did it to two buses in the video In a busy part of a city district.

And what boils my blood is the amount of likes this video in question got, the video would've been fine if they don't do a stupid and possibility illegal thing. There's one comment in the video that says "And sometimes bus drivers are rude for no reason" No the driver wasn't rude and had every right to be upset and or annoyed, I'd be upset too if I was driving a bus or vehicle and some idiot kid thought it was okay to play tag along.

The video for what ever reason showed up in my "recommended" feed hence why I decided to watch it and see what it was about. Well it's on the ignore & never watch again list now.
ScaniaGrenda

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!? That'll be Wikipedia!

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I give up trying to edit Wikipedia pages with information that should be there in the first place, every-time I do it gets reverted. I spend time writing up something while citing websites and what not and I come back hours later to my hard work reverted.

so yeah what gives ScaniaGrenda the S&#T's tonight? Trying to be one of those people who add information & contribute to Wikipedia only to later have my work and effort I put into it reverted to how it was before I made changes. Wikipedia complains about vandals and untrustworthy sources but when actual legit users try to contribute content and be transparent, that get's removed as well. Why bother with anything there anymore honestly? I'm honestly tempted to start my own Wikipedia clone site sorta like the Singapore bus Wikipedia but I have no idea how to start one so uh.... but given if I did I'd start work on it very quickly.
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

TA3001 wrote:Does every platform have a vending machine though?
All Melbourne stations have a top up machine within some area of the station boundaries. I wouldn't go so far to say one on every platform though.
ScaniaGrenda wrote:Rover Coaches Mercedes-Benz OH1830LE CB60 EVO2, was on one of their Benz EVO 2 buses the other day and I don't think the OH1830LE is the best chassis for a low floor bus, you've only got the two front seats and then a small wheelchair bay and then it's huge steps from there.
Would that not come down to the body manufacturer, rather than the chassis itself? McHarry's in Geelong have several OH1830LEs (which is just a regional version of the O500LE, mind you) and there's a hell of a lot of wheelchair space on those units.

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
otto5013
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB -Custom CB80 s.2

Post by otto5013 »

Any vending machine alone on a platform in Adelaide, particularly west and north lines would be quickly and repeatedly vandalized. Same has happened with the new auto info boards in the city - smashing of the glass.

We don't have the customer numbers to afford an effective monitoring and response system. Admet is presently going through vigorous rationalizing.

If you put your feet up on a seat in Melbourne you'll get a quick reminder from anyone that you're heading for a hefty fine whereas in Adelaide it's routine to do so - a lot of younger folk do it naturally.
That's the way the whole thing started, silly but it's true ...
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Coles refusing to put Milk on shelves that expires in more than a week! I wish they'd grow a brain and change this stupid policy...
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

TA3001 wrote:Coles refusing to put Milk on shelves that expires in more than a week! I wish they'd grow a brain and change this stupid policy...
You will find that most businesses that deal with perishables will rotate their stock so that the oldest product is set to go out first to ensure that wastage is reduced.

Why would they put product that goes out later on the shelves which will get taken first while stuff that expires earlier ends up not getting sold and in the end gets thrown out? That costs them money and they'd pass that increase in cost onto you in the form of raised milk costs.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I do recall there being fresher bottles of milk behind the ones that were due to expire sooner a little while ago. But now one essentially only get to pick from bottles that expire within 7 days, with no exceptions. The store in question is the one at Port Adelaide.

There are enough gullible customers around the place to take care of the problem of milk approaching it's expiry date.

We shouldn't be forced to purchase week old milk just to help some grocery giant make a few more dollars.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Well, toughen up kiddo, nothing is gonna be changing it for a long time. It happens with everything 'fresh' in a supermarket - fruits, vegetables, meat to name a few.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

TA3001 wrote:I do recall there being fresher bottles of milk behind the ones that were due to expire sooner a little while ago.
Basic stock rotation at work - first in, first out.

If you find that you aren't using a whole 1 litre container, I know some stores do a smaller 500ml or 600ml container. Alternately, UHT milk lasts longer as well and is also available in smaller cartons or if you want to go to Officeworks for your milk, in 15ml jiggers.

Return to “The Lunch Room”