January 2019 service changes

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Re: January 2019 service changes

Post by Eurostar »

I wonder if some of these cuts are being done to free up money for the extras for the Flinders Railway Extension, now they have included in the plan stairs and lift on both sides of Main South Road as well as the original proposal of just ramps.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I reckon the 224 between Salisbury and Elizabeth should be scrapped, with 430s turning into 423s that traverse Salisbury Highway and terminate at Mawson. The 560 is essentially a duplicate of the existing 224 service anyway, and they ran almost simultaneously for well over a decade until recently.

224s could run on weekends from Mawson interchange to Elizabeth to keep the frequency at 30 minutes, but 3 buses every 30 minutes in each direction serving John Rice Avenue is just a waste of resources.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

The Port Road Go Zone has been removed from the 150 & 155-157 timetable maps.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Eagle Eye wrote:The Port Road Go Zone has been removed from the 150 & 155-157 timetable maps.
The Port Road now has what can only be described as a rather odd 15-30 minute service interval pattern between the peaks on Monday to Friday.

A similar thing has happened on the parallel rail line services from Adelaide to Woodville which now run at 10-20 minute intervals while they continue to run every 15 minutes in the opposite direction.

I'm sure there is some logic to all of this!
jibb

Post by jibb »

Quite a substantial overhaul of 150-155-157 weekday daytime timetable.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Mike M wrote:I'm sure there is some logic to all of this!
Looks like the number of consists for the Grange line can be reduced at interpeak & night time due to the reduced layovers at Grange. Taking one consist out of the mix will reduce diesel use if nothing else.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

From Sunday 224s will mainly be feeders which quite possibly will mean Pooraka recieves more articulated buses to do 222s
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Just thinking that the T500 worked better than the 502. I mean at least with the 206, the bus had good patronage especially at night, compared to the 502 which looks close to empty at night
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Salisbury Council should just buy up the shops on Old John Street, demolish them, widen the road so buses can use John Street
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Eurostar wrote:Salisbury Council should just buy up the shops on Old John Street, demolish them, widen the road so buses can use John Street

Try this link:
http://www.salisbury.sa.gov.au/files/as ... y_2012.pdf

There is a public available report that cites the recommendations from consideration 6 years ago.. other documents on that page will further confirm the connection of Church Street to Gawler street. Bus routes in Salisbury might change a little into the future in the Salisbury city centre, once the new Salisbury Hub building is opened and the old council office building removed - allowing the through link - possible as early as 2020.

I can recall some suggested options in public displayed consultation reports that created a transport ring route via Gawler Street, Wiltshire Street, Ann Street and connecting back to Gawler street behind Parabanks S/C via a proposed road. Just depends on what plans DPTI and Salisbury Council can agree on into the future. Another report cites 7.5min expected frequency once electrified rail services are in operation to Salisbury.

*this post is private interpretation based on publicly available information on Salisbury Council website.*
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

thedom wrote:
Eurostar wrote:Salisbury Council should just buy up the shops on Old John Street, demolish them, widen the road so buses can use John Street

Try this link:
http://www.salisbury.sa.gov.au/files/as ... y_2012.pdf

There is a public available report that cites the recommendations from consideration 6 years ago.. other documents on that page will further confirm the connection of Church Street to Gawler street. Bus routes in Salisbury might change a little into the future in the Salisbury city centre, once the new Salisbury Hub building is opened and the old council office building removed - allowing the through link - possible as early as 2020.

I can recall some suggested options in public displayed consultation reports that created a transport ring route via Gawler Street, Wiltshire Street, Ann Street and connecting back to Gawler street behind Parabanks S/C via a proposed road. Just depends on what plans DPTI and Salisbury Council can agree on into the future. Another report cites 7.5min expected frequency once electrified rail services are in operation to Salisbury.

*this post is private interpretation based on publicly available information on Salisbury Council website.*
The traffic lights at Salisbury Station Interchange are kind of use less now only a handful of buses actually turn left onto Park Terrace now I.e 500 and not in service buses
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

I remember when Commercial Road had a Go Zone. I suggest Stephen Knoll go look at Murray Road and Commercial Road in Port Noarlunga, its congested.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eurostar wrote:I remember when Commercial Road had a Go Zone. I suggest Stephen Knoll go look at Murray Road and Commercial Road in Port Noarlunga, its congested.
Its not him that should do it-its DPTI!.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

jibb wrote:
Eurostar wrote:I remember when Commercial Road had a Go Zone. I suggest Stephen Knoll go look at Murray Road and Commercial Road in Port Noarlunga, its congested.
Its not him that should do it-its DPTI!.
Public transport is Stephen Knolls responsibility. DPTI is a goverment organisation. Public transport needs investment in SA not cuts.
thedom

Post by thedom »

I suspect some of the other 'savings' suggested but not advised has included reduced carriage on late night train services - at least for the Outer Harbour line, now single carriage after 10 or 1030pm depending on direction of travel.

Have noticed since the timetable changes that at least the last 2 or 3 Outer Harbour services at night appear to be single carriage now. (With the exception of the 4 car service on Friday night for the laneway festival) over this weekend.

Wondering if Belair or Gawler lines have seen similar occurrences?
Reduced diesel costs through the year would result in savings from such changes.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

I remember hearing a while ago that there was an operational restriction on running single carriage 3000 class units in service. Has this been lifted?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Obviously there would be a small saving in diesel, but are there any extra staff required to split consists at Adelaide in between services or can this be done using existing staff on at the time? If not that would negate some of the savings.

It would also reduce operational flexibility - i.e. a 3100/3100 consist can't be split in this manner, it has to be a 3000/3000 consist, which means earlier planning in the day to ensure the appropriate consists are rostered late at night and can be split up.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

Last Sunday I saw the Grange train was a single carriage at around 10:30am heading towards the City, so maybe this will be a regular thing on Sundays for the Grange service all day.
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

I did hear that there were reliability issues with 3000's, but since they now have new traction equipment (motors etc) these have obviously been rectified.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
thedom

Post by thedom »

Outer Harbour services from 8:12pm onwards ex ADL tonight were all single carriage services. Grange single carriage & Belair services after 8:21pm appear to have all been single carriage services.

Gawler Central services remain at 2 carriages

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”