January 2019 service changes

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
hillsbus

January 2019 service changes

Post by hillsbus »

Will there be any service changes in late January e.g. to reflect the Government's cost saving measures or will these occur later in 2019?
jibb

Re: January 2019 service changes

Post by jibb »

Yes,that is when the cuts to services are planned to be implemented.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Thanks Jibb.

I'd say Sunday 27 January would be the likely day?

I presume it will largely be alot of late night services that will be cut or are there others that will need to be cut?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I would assume that this would ultimately see less shifts for the companies to cover, and hence less buses required overall, enabling more premature retirements.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The only reason less buses would be required is if they cut services in peak hours,which I doubt.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

How is this State Government going to increase public transport patronage and decrease traffic congestion and travel times if all they are doing is cut cut cut funding for public transport?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

Bus timetable changes January 2019.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... nuary-2019
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Many years ago we had a good mix of city based routes and cross suburban routes nowadays its mainly city based, thats ok during peak hours but at other times people mainly just want to go from suburb to suburb.

361, good route but too infrequent
for a busy road, deviating this route via Dry Creek Station will allow connections with train services allowing people to travel via public transport rather than driving and it will help reduce congestion between Port Adelaide and Salisbury.

300 is a good route but at nights and weekends its too infrequent

100 is a good route but at nights and weekends its non existent or too infrequent

No route between Port Adelaide and Brighton via Tapleys Hill Road, a half hourly service will help reduce congestion along this corridor

J7/J8, good route but too infrequent for people wanting to get to the airport by bus, non existent on weekends

101, good route but too infrequent, no service on weekends

190 between Glenelg and Mitcham is too infrequent on weekends

320, good route but its duplicating with the G20 and G21 between Flinders Hospital and Aberfoyle Hub

Most of the northern and southern routes are hourly on weekends which doesn't make sense as many hospitality venues are busy on weekends

In the hills towns like Birdwood, Gumeracha, Lobethal and Woodside are popular on weekends and summer nights when events like the Lobethal Christmas Lights or Oakbank Races but there is no bus services
jibb

Post by jibb »

Agree about a bus service between Port Adelaide and Glenelg, in fact it should run from Noarlunga Centre servicing NC Train , also Brighton Station. Brighton Road traffic is horrendous in peak hours and is pretty busy at off-peak times.I am sure if there was a frequent service along these roads it would take some of this traffic off the roads.

There is probably a need for a service from at least Glenelg to Salisbury as there are lots of workers who live in the southern inner and outer suburbs who work out Salisbury(and even Mawson Lakes) who maybe could be enticed off the roads if there was a decnt bus service.

Regrettfully DPTI don't seem to e interested in trying anything new.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

My experience with Tapleys Hill Rd is that the traffic starts to build up at around 0600; possibly a little earlier. Any service running along the length of Tapleys Hill Rd would need to start around 0500 or even slightly earlier to be a viable alternative to driving.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

Brighton Road is very similar-at 600am in the morning traffic is very heavy, probably at least 1/3 turn off at Sir Donald Bradman Drive headed to the Airport.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:Agree about a bus service between Port Adelaide and Glenelg, in fact it should run from Noarlunga Centre servicing NC Train , also Brighton Station. Brighton Road traffic is horrendous in peak hours and is pretty busy at off-peak times.I am sure if there was a frequent service along these roads it would take some of this traffic off the roads.
Taking this service to Noarlunga Centre would be duplicating the train line. It certainly needs connections to the train line - possibly Hove. There isn't a lot of patronage around the Lonsdale Rd area that isn't serviced well by trains and feeder buses, so I'd probably have the service terminate at Marion Centre (which provides other bus connections) or continue via Main South Rd or some other route through the outer southern suburbs which would help to provide cross suburban services. I'd even go beyond Port Adelaide and right up to Osborne. It would need to run early enough to be useful for workers as others have mentioned. This could connect with (or work in tandem with) a route from Mawson Lakes to Port Adelaide and Osborne.

A similar service along the coast would also be useful. The 300 should operate expanded hours, or a new service partly servicing Tapleys Hill Rd and partly servicing the beaches north of Henley Beach would be beneficial, especially Semaphore which has fairly poor services, and extremely limited services from Port Adelaide. Perhaps some of the short 300 trips between Marion Centre and Glenelg could be reduced to offset some of the costs of this new service.
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

:evil: :evil: :evil:

All services removed except 2 morning and 2 afternoon peak trips, due to close proximity to Outer Harbor train line and low patronage
Services from Military Road 59 at 08.34am and 09.04am retained
Services from Port Adelaide at 2.30pm and 3.15pm retained
Buses to Australian Submarine Corporation will continue to operate
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Looks like most of the new timetables are now up on the AdMet site when searching for each route individually.

New combined 150/333 timetable here - https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/conten ... -01-19.pdf
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I don’t understand how the Port Road Go Zone can disappear, yet, the Churchill Rd one stays. Maybe Churchill Rd is not far away enough from a train line I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

bigrobbo wrote:I don’t understand how the Port Road Go Zone can disappear, yet, the Churchill Rd one stays. Maybe Churchill Rd is not far away enough from a train line I guess.
It would seem they added Grange Train minor timetable tweaks to some services... The new timetable has later departure times from the city from:57 to :02 / & :27 to :32.
On the up, there appears to be a 'go zone' of trains city bound at least during the inter peak hours but on the down services are 10 & 20 minutes apart.. including weekends from the city.

I'd love to understand how these are service improvements to the station along these lines; perhaps they envisage less patronage on the OH trains between ADL-WDV PK as a result each half hour? Unlikely to make a difference other than extending the wait time for the next service if you just miss the OH service.

Further noting there is 1 min scheduled between Grange and East Grange stations, it takes a minute to exit the curve at Grange, let alone build speed and stop at East Grange. Poor timetabling on this will see the Grange train forever late running. Google Maps times used perhaps?
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I am also shocked at the reduced services along the Main North Rd Go Zone on a weekend. The service has gone from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes. I thought that passenger numbers were solid along this route.

Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

745 leaves Noarlunga Station at 7 minutes past the hour
751 leaves Noarlunga Station at 56 minutes past the hour

:x
route 228

Post by route 228 »

Well if I read it right, The Main North services from the city at weeknight with the 224 Gone No replacement 222 for City /Gepps Cross passengers at 10.45pm and 1145pm,
All your left with is the 228 at 10.15pm and 11.15pm, Going to need a artic Friday night for sure.

And while you have 228s Saturday Night at 10.43pm and 11.43pm,

Last Main North Road service Sunday night Is the 228 Leaving Victoria Square 9.49pm.
Living on the 228 bus run.

Route 228 Smithfield interchange to Victoria Square in the city of Adelaide South Australia.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Good pick up Route 228!

Quite bizarre how early the last bus is on a Sunday night, especially when a 222 and two 228s arrive into the City after the last outbound trip has left! Presume they'll all run not in service back to Pooraka Depot?
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

route 228 wrote:Going to need a artic Friday night for sure.
You know that the last bus will be exclusively an NL202 ImageImageImage

jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit very rarely uses these buses at nights or weekends.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

jibb wrote:Torrens Transit very rarely uses these buses at nights or weekends.
It is common for Southlink Lonsdale to have them out on weekends, and occasionally there's one or two Edinburgh North ones out. Newton tends to have them out on straight shifts at any time, and occasionally Mile End sends one or two out. 1354 did a 21W shift during the show last year.

Some of the coords/drivers see them as clapped out old rustboxes, where as some of them see them as fairly reliable accessible buses that run on diesel.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

I must say that I am also surprised and disappointed in the reduction of services along Main North Road. It surely can't be based on patronage as Main North Road usually seems fairly consistent when I have travelled along there. I would have thought it should remain a 20 minute Zone along there.

Agree with earlier posts re a Port Adelaide to Glenelg/Brighton bus service, something like the previously used 340-345 routes would probably work well, but I must say I'm almost past much hope of getting many (If any) PT upgrades whilst this Government is in charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Grange train simply becomes a single carriage feeder from Woodville to Grange in the future apart from maybe a few peak services or the first and last train to start and finish from the City/Dry Creek Depot, but I hope not!

Not looking forward to what the Government will have planned for mid year cuts!
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

The Mawson Lakes/Main North Road Go Zone is still there on all maps and advertising, but it does not exist in reality.

222 services leave MLI at 4:05pm, 4:31pm, 5:01pm 5:31pm. 6:01pm and 6:18pm.

The 228F's still run during this time. So, in theory, from MLI to Main North Rd and then from stop 17 to the city are not Go Zones during this time.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”