Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

[Jan/Feb 2019] SA Transport observations

Post by The Phonj »

A New Year is upon us; Congratulations!! We all made it through the old one :D

Reviewing 2018.....
The last of the diesel MAN SL202's was retired, with retirements continuing with CNG MAN SL202's.
Financial problems at Custom Coaches saw new bus deliveries for Adelaide shifted to Bustech.
The election in March 2018 saw a change of government to Liberal, after having had Labor in power for 16 years.
Tram services commenced on the new extensions to Festival Plaza and Botanic Garden, after some delays.
The "Torrens to Torrens" section of the North-South Motorway opened. The intersection of Port Rd and South Rd now has bus lanes in both directions on Port Rd.
Work continues apace on the Oaklands Crossing grade separation project.
Torrens Transit bought the operations of Light-City Buses, integrating services in October.
The South Australian Government withdrew their funding of The Overland train service between Adelaide and Melbourne (commencing 1 Jan 2019), however the Victorian government have increased their funding to keep the service operational.

Timetable changes are happening later in January; with route 350 being removed altogether, route 333 being heavily curtailed and 224 terminating at Mawson Lakes ex-Elizabeth; extending to/from Adelaide during peak hours only, amongst other changes.

It's the beginning of the "event season" - the Tour Down Under later this month; with the Fringe Festival, Festival of Arts and Superloop 500 among other events slated before the end of March.

Please post your South Australian transport observations here that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread.

I hope that all have a prosperous and happy new year for this 2019!
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Re: [Jan/Feb 2019] SA Transport observations

Post by jibb »

Festive/Holiday timetables finish tonight. Normal weekday services back from Monday morning(excluding school services).
Hopefully DPTI will review the services they ran over the last 2 weeks and fix them for next Xmas/New year Festive Timetables the many frequency/timetable problems that have occurred as well as customer feedback, criticisms.
transenthusiast

Post by transenthusiast »

I saw 1629 running special along Grenfell St heading towards Currie St this arvo. According to Fleet Lists it's been withdrawn, can anyone confirm that
jibb

Post by jibb »

transenthusiast wrote:I saw 1629 running special along Grenfell St heading towards Currie St this arvo. According to Fleet Lists it's been withdrawn, can anyone confirm that
Probably heading to Morphettville Depot to join the other retired 1600 buses.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

transenthusiast wrote:I saw 1629 running special along Grenfell St heading towards Currie St this arvo. According to Fleet Lists it's been withdrawn, can anyone confirm that
I haven't seen a single SL202 out since December last year, but I think I've heard somewhere that 1626-1627, 1629/1630 have done their last run.

This means that the extremely dull and bland 1631 is the oldest bus in service. I'm hoping it will still be on track on Monday when regular services resume, as I honestly wouldn't mind another ride on it before it ends up with the aforementioned ones.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Looks like someone has taken out some fencing at NCI. Part of a wheel arch inner is all that's left of whatever did it.
jibb

Post by jibb »

TA3001 wrote:
I haven't seen a single SL202 out since December last year, but I think I've heard somewhere that 1626-1627, 1629/1630 have done their last run.

This means that the extremely dull and bland 1631 is the oldest bus in service. I'm hoping it will still be on track on Monday when regular services resume, as I honestly wouldn't mind another ride on it before it ends up with the aforementioned ones.
Fleet Lists was updated last week to reflect those 5 withdrawals. All 5 have been squeezed into the "retirement area" at the front of Morphettville Depot.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

What's happening with the yellow and green liveried bus in a yard on Woomera Avenue in Penfield ?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eurostar wrote:What's happening with the yellow and green liveried bus in a yard on Woomera Avenue in Penfield ?
Same as the one at Mile End-numerous problems that as yet haven't been resolved!
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Partial Belair Line closure (Blackwood to Belair) 16th to 24th January.
Essential works required to be carried out...

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... 24-January
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Eurostar wrote:What's happening with the yellow and green liveried bus in a yard on Woomera Avenue in Penfield ?
A yard? That's the Bustech/Precision factory...
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

Heard from a mate of mine that a metro bus had caught on fire this afternoon on currie street can't confirm this myself but does anyone have any info on this?
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Have heard it was Newton’s 1738 but no idea how serious the fire was nor the extent of the damage.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I hope it isn't a write off. Adelaide could really do without one additional Bustech to account for this vehicle for now.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

MFS paging shows that there was a bus fire on Currie St this afternoon, doesn't mention which one though.
nscaler69

Post by nscaler69 »

busrider wrote:MFS paging shows that there was a bus fire on Currie St this afternoon, doesn't mention which one though.
99% certain it was an NL202 (sorry don't remember the fleet number) at least 2 or 3 fire extinguishers were used before the MFS arrived.
Quite interesting to watch while waiting for a bus in Grenfell St.
Anagram: Timetable - bet I'm late
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

busrider wrote:MFS paging shows that there was a bus fire on Currie St this afternoon, doesn't mention which one though.
Why would they bother telling the public what fleet number the bus is the only people that need to know is the insurance company, bus company and the State Government.

What the public do have a right to know since its the public's money contributing to the purchase of these buses and these bus operator contracts is why are many buses in the past decade or so catching fire randomly, is maintenance slipping if so bus operators need to be held accountable also does this mean bus companies are breaching the contract. are bus manufacturers cutting corners potentially putting lives at risk if so need to be held accountable as this would be a breach of contract and laws, faulty cars get recalled why shouldn't these faulty buses.

Its only a matter of time till a casuality/casualities or a fatality occurs.

Is this happening more or less since privatisation? Is it time this privatisation stops and buses be publicly owned and runned again?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

2842 was being attached to a tow truck in Montefiore Rd around midday today.
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

The Phonj wrote:
Timetable changes are happening later in January; with route 350 being removed altogether, route 333.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

Seen Southlink's 2453 on the back of a flat bed truck in Lonsdale this morning not sure where it was headed?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

A few 'lasts' this week:
  • The last route 350 & 350P services will operate.
  • The last route G40C services will operate.
  • The last route 224, 224F (along Main North Rd) & 333 services to operate under the midday sun will operate with these routes being heavily reduced.
  • The last route 150P services from Largs Bay to Port Adelaide will operate (and return 150B short running services).
  • The last route 721L services will operate.
  • The last route 722A services will operate (being renumbered to 722).
  • The last route 724 services will operate.
  • The last route J1 services to operate via Philip Hwy (Elizabeth South shops).
Most of these lasts will be on Friday with a few lasts to operate on Saturday. Don't forget your last photos or rides while you can!
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Are there any signs of bus 1994 entering service? Has it been built yet?
jibb

Post by jibb »

[quote="TA3001"]Are there any signs of bus 1994 entering service? Has it been built yet/?
Was sighted at Scania last week.Will probably enter service next few weeks.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

According to the realtime info, several services have been running 20+ minutes late this afternoon/evening. Even a service departing West Lakes in the next 20 minutes is showing up as being 38 minutes late.

Would there be a reason behind this? Although, most services seem to be back on time.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Heat has played havoc with all bus,tram and train services today.Many buses have either had to slow down or have longer breaks to cool down,also maintenance vans have been flat out on bus call outs,delaying services.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”