New TransportNSW.info Website

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
swtt

Re: New TransportNSW.info Website

Post by swtt »

Fleet Lists wrote:The message on the Sydney Trains website has been changed from stating that it would close last night to that it will close soon.
A little prematurely overconfident that there would be no technical glitches Image

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
swtt

Post by swtt »

Does TfNSW not know where the 526 runs to and from?

It seems also they have no idea that the quickest way from the T1 Northern Line to Olympic Park during weekdays is to change at Rhodes for 526/533. The 526 has also been running from RHODES and not just the Olympic Park Wharf to Olympic Park! Image

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

swtt wrote:Does TfNSW not know where the 526 runs to and from?

It seems also they have no idea that the quickest way from the T1 Northern Line to Olympic Park during weekdays is to change at Rhodes for 526/533. The 526 has also been running from RHODES and not just the Olympic Park Wharf to Olympic Park!

I noticed that when I was looking up journeys to Olympic Park in the weekend. A whole bunch of people from Nowra were going to go to an event at Olympic Park but somebody chose Sunday without realising there was trackwork (there wasn't on Saturday, bad choice!). They called the trip off because the journey involved 3 trains and 2 buses, with a 10 minute wait between each train and half an hour (!!!) between buses at Kiama, a 4.5 hour journey in total. By the time they got there they would have had about an hour before needing to head back!

I see this quite regularly - people spending 6 to 7 hours travelling to attend a 1 hour medical appointment in Sydney. The hard bench seats also add to the discomfort of those travelling with medical problems. Very third world.
swtt

Post by swtt »

hmmm... old habits die hard. What do you now call a Campbelltown via Granville train?

Usually Leppington trains are "T2 Leppington" services, and now we have "T2 South" again, after "T8 South" was created in 11/2017!

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

In November last year pdf bus timetables for Hillsbus, Interline and State Transit had maps included in the pdf's. I noticed today that the timetables for Hunter Valley Buses routes (not including the ex Coastal Liner routes) have also had had such maps included. Must have happened in the last two weeks as one I archived on 30 August did not have a map.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Fleet Lists wrote:I noticed today that the timetables for Hunter Valley Buses routes (not including the ex Coastal Liner routes) have also had had such maps included. Must have happened in the last two weeks as one I archived on 30 August did not have a map.
No, the maps (although just simple maps) have been included for a while now.

The bus companies that have maps such as Newcastle Transport are the best
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

swtt wrote:hmmm... old habits die hard. What do you now call a Campbelltown via Granville train?

Usually Leppington trains are "T2 Leppington" services, and now we have "T2 South" again, after "T8 South" was created in 11/2017!
The information on the website for today's special event services says that ECRL shuttle services between Hornsby and Chatswood will be extended to the City today. Those shuttle services were permanently extended every weekend since last year's timetable changes.

It appears for both of these instances they've just copied last year's information and forgotten that the timetable has changed since then.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Worse still they keep referring to the 526 as running between Burwood and Olympic Park Wharf... When it has been extended to Rhodes since 2016.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I stumbled across an amazing example of the triumph of bureaucracy over its customers when I went to look up the rail bus service between Moss Vale and Wollongong, that previously occupied a single page at the back of the south coast printed timetable. There are only three or four services each way per day, basically along the same route with small variations. To my amazement I found that TfNSW has given each individual run - each way - its own route number (in the range 749 to 756) and therefore its own timetable - seven separate timetables altogether!!!

So after spending about 20 minutes downloading them all and comparing them I found nothing had changed since the last paper timetable anyway, but now I have the equivalent of the Encyclopedia Britannica to consult rather than a single page for what is basically a piddling little service. However no doubt the mutiple route numbers assist some internal bureaucratic process that TfNSW has to fulfil.

One thing I enjoy in WA is still being able to get paper timetables for all train and bus services. They must be using TfNSW's slogan of putting the customer at the forefront of everything they do, since its not being followed in NSW.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The route numbers are actually the run numbers which are also shown in the full pdf timetable https://transportnsw.info/regional-southern-line
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote:The route numbers are actually the run numbers which are also shown in the full pdf timetable https://transportnsw.info/regional-southern-line
Thanks I missed seeing that in the very confusing list of downloads. It's certainly not a user-friendly information source and I've had decades of experience in these matters. Does any service-provider in NSW still produce printed timetables with maps, other than private bus operators outside Sydney (bless them)?

I'm all for using on-line information and apps (particularly journey planners) but they have their limits, particularly in the area of obtaining overviews of services.
andy_centralcoast

Once again, incorrect and inaccurate information about special event services on transportnsw.info.

This time for the NRL Grand Final:
https://transportnsw.info/events/2018/09/nrl-grand-final-roosters-v-storm wrote:
  • Central Coast & Newcastle Line: an additional service will leave Strathfield at 22:18, stopping at Eastwood, Epping, Hornsby, then all stations (except Wondabyne) to Newcastle Interchange.
The train actually leaves Central at 22:18 (Strathfield at 22:31), and it does not stop at Eastwood.

I sent feedback about this via the online form, but not holding my breath... I still haven't got a response back for any of my previous submissions asking for details to be corrected.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

tonyp wrote: Thanks I missed seeing that in the very confusing list of downloads. It's certainly not a user-friendly information source and I've had decades of experience in these matters. Does any service-provider in NSW still produce printed timetables with maps, other than private bus operators outside Sydney (bless them)?

I'm all for using on-line information and apps (particularly journey planners) but they have their limits, particularly in the area of obtaining overviews of services.
Sydney Trains printed timetable.
ImageImage
andy_centralcoast

Printed copies of the new CCN train timetable were also being handed out by staff at Gosford station on Friday morning. Staff were verbally telling customers to please check the timetable for changes to train times and stopping patterns from next week, and apologised that they had no signage at the station with any details of the changes.

The transportnsw.info website is also very vague on the changes, only advertising "there are more express services to Central via Strathfield". Most people interpret that as additional trains not realising it actually means the same number of trains but some stations will now be skipped more.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There are no printed timetables available on the south coast from my enquiries. They must only hand them out in Sydney then.
andy_centralcoast

From early November, trip planning and timetable assistance via 131 500 will be removed. However, the minister's spokeswoman said anyone who needs assistance, for example someone with a disability, would still be able to speak with staff at the call centre.

"The changes are a push for the public to use apps and online options."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/tra ... 50bym.html
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Very confusing article with the minister quoted in one place that the services will stay in place but contradicted by a spokesperson from Transport for NSW saying that these things will still change by the end of November.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Something I had not seen in Transport Info until the last couple of weeks. If you go to the Wynyard Station page https://transportnsw.info/stop?q=10101102#/ it includes a list of all train and bus routes including any rail replacement which may be current, with a link to the timetable concerned. And I think that applies to all site pages such as wharves, bus stops eg Manly Wharf shows links to the Captain Cook and My Fast Ferry routes including those from the Hotel Wharf even though they are not included n the wharf map. Parramatta Station has no les than 81 links
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Is it a new feature that when you search a trip in Trip Planner and look at the map for the results the train lines are shown in the line colours rather than just the 'train orange'?

Or have I just not noticed before?
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Glen wrote:Or have I just not noticed before?
I was wondering that about myself (also on Sunday) - I think we both now have the answer. :lol:
verbatim9

Post by verbatim9 »

It seems yes :) What a good feature.ImageImageImage
swtt

Post by swtt »

Did I miss a post here?

Have these Area Maps been previously reported?

https://transportnsw.info/document/3953 ... eaches.pdf

https://transportnsw.info/document/3952 ... uburbs.pdf

(They're actually useful - includes all routes that are there and not just from the "default" operator)

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... rator-maps
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

swtt wrote:Did I miss a post here?

Have these Area Maps been previously reported?

https://transportnsw.info/document/3953 ... eaches.pdf
The Northern Beaches map is just the digital form of the large map adorning the walls of one of the bus stops at Manly Wharf.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The Eastern Suburbs map doesn't show the 370 from Coogee, or the City services from Coogee and Clovelly.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

those maps seem to have replaced more detailed ones, which I can no longer find now. They were very large files, the previous ones, and probably hard to use on a mobile device.

There seems to be no decent map at all of bus routes in the cbd area.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”