State Transit / Transit Systems Ansair Orana Retirement

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Frosty

Re: State Transit / Transit Systems Ansair Orana Retirement

Post by Frosty »

Swift wrote:I want to know who's buying/getting them?
Obliviously there is one bus enthusiast who would buy one.
Daniel wrote:
Swift wrote:What about the 12.5m low entry diesels?
The withdrawn ones so far have been used for parts. Mostly junk status with rust/structural issues.
Would this simply be down to simply age, steel issues, corrosion caused by exposure to salt out in the East or bad build quality.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:I don't think there would be much aftermarket for old 14.5s, mainly due to limitations on where they can be used.
Who says they have to ever be driven again? You could make two bedsitters out of one.
It isn't obvious to me Frosty.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Norbert Genci & his favourite bus 3419.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Frosty wrote:Norbert Genci & his favourite bus 3419.
You know, he never entered my mind. I was focusing on the 12.5s. A friend has come across him taking photographs years ago. A very tall bloke I hear.
Hopefully be lives along a route served or previously served by this bus type so he can use it as his shopping jeep. :lol:
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

It’s ok, he gets to drive them now out of P.
Swift

Post by Swift »

To drive them is to love them so they say and to get paid for it must be a dream. I bet he wishes he did it sooner. I pay to ride them. Guess who gets the short straw?
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Has anyone noticed that the 14.5M Scanias are harder to find now ? I waited at Lane Cove Interchange and not one turned up. For some reason all 288 buses were operated by Bustechs today. Or is it because these buses went to Bondi to help with the City to Surf crowds.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

idontknow556 wrote:Has anyone noticed that the 14.5M Scanias are harder to find now ? I waited at Lane Cove Interchange and not one turned up. For some reason all 288 buses were operated by Bustechs today. Or is it because these buses went to Bondi to help with the City to Surf crowds.
No mostly bendies & standard buses were sent to deal with City2Surf crowds. Could be M doesn't roster 14.5m buses on Sunday try the 400 for 14.5m buses there usually at least a couple.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I've looked on Anytrip this morning and afternoon and see none operating on 400 which is strange as I also know that there are usually a couple. I am pretty sure that Willoughby operates 14.5M on a Sunday as I caught one on a fortnight ago unless somethings changed.
Stu

Post by Stu »

There are not many 14.5 buses rostered on weekends for route 400 and sometimes only a small handful of what is meant to be rostered actually goes on the road. In 2015 the 14.5 buses were intentionally not being rostered, someone high up found out about this because the newer Scania Bustech bodied buses were recording an exceptionally high amount of kilometres on the odometer. The tracking system was checked to confirm that these buses in question had indeed been operating route 400 on many weekends.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I saw somewhere Ryde B12s were racking up high kms and sent to other depots as a result. I’m wondering what is the mindset of TSA with the 14.5m buses only use them Mon-Fri to preserve them or run them into the ground ?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Frosty wrote: I’m wondering what is the mindset of TSA with the 14.5m buses only use them Mon-Fri to preserve them or run them into the ground ?
I hardly think kilometres matter now when age is the grim reaper for that class. If kilometres prove to be the last straw on some, it would hardly matter, but from my observations, they aren't exactly on their last legs performance wise.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

idontknow556 wrote:I've looked on Anytrip this morning and afternoon and see none operating on 400 which is strange as I also know that there are usually a couple. I am pretty sure that Willoughby operates 14.5M on a Sunday as I caught one on a fortnight ago unless somethings changed.
Yesterday all of the TSA run 400s were either CB80s or VSTs. I know W likes putting VSTMs on the 400. On a weekday though, nearly all TSA run 400s and quite a number of 288s are 14.5s, with a few still showing up on the 392 and L94 from time to time.

I really want the 14.5s to be replaced with 14.5s. I see the Optimus is avalible in a three axle 14.5 model - that would be a prefect replacement!
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I doubt that the 14.5M Scanias will be replaced by another 14.5M bus as first of all I heard a rumor that STA won't be buying these sort of buses in the future.

Secondly STA has to consider the fact that driverless cars are around the corner so there's probably no point in getting a high capacity bus if not much people are going to be riding them.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

idontknow556 wrote:
Secondly STA has to consider the fact that driverless cars are around the corner so there's probably no point in getting a high capacity bus if not much people are going to be riding them.
Much preferable to sit in the traffic jam in luxury, presumably.

And that's a job for TfNSW, not Sydney Buses.
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Post by Ben_Daui »

Observed 3433 on 891 outbound to UNSW on Anzac Pde this morning.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I’d really advocate an initiative to fast-track the retirement of the remaining low floor Scanias - at least the numerous units at Kingsgrove - those are in an increasingly poor state. The past summer, people have sweltered on them because of failed aircontioning. Likewise this winter, at nighttime, it’s freezing cold inside - this is the only bus type where I’ve not felt any kind of heating whatsoever. It’s like the bus actually has no conventional climate control but rather force ventilates outside air through the vents. The Mark V’s at least had windows. And besides that, the interior of these are looking increasingly ratty , tired and worn out.

Order a hoopla of more Scania Volgren Optimus (or whatever else), just for Kingsgrove, fully modernise the fleet at that depot and be done with it. :D Kingsgrove is unique in that it has so many old buses running around late at night, I think that depot needs a bit more attention as to who gets the next batch of new buses

I also support the calls on this thread for replacing the 14.5 Scanias with new 14.5’s. They serve a very specific niche, that I think works, I mean you don’t compare an apple with a pear (my point being 12m bus vs 14.5m bus are for very different services) so hopefully, but one can dream
Swift

Post by Swift »

Goodness, can't believe it, I caught a green line for the first time since God knows when last night as I wanted to get to the northern side of the city from Times Sq...sorry Railway Square and an assortment of STA looking TSA buses came and went until I got on an Orana Scania diesel. But that body rattled something terrible and it had that clapped out vibe going for sure, even for a low floor Scania L113. Got to say, that super masculine turbo lump sure sounded impressive as it took of though.
The driver actually looked at me which makes a nice change from the usual grumpy c$&@ Port Botany crew.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I agree that the Scania L113CRLs have pretty bad A/C, once I went on one during a 40 degree day and it was hotter than an S set. One thing that I hate about STA buses that there are no windows that open so if the air conditioning is broken or not working as it should then it can get really hot. Fortunately, not all buses in Sydney are like this as the private operator buses have windows that can be opened if the air conditioning breaks down or if it is not a really hot day and the air conditioner is not needed.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

idontknow556 wrote:I doubt that the 14.5M Scanias will be replaced by another 14.5M bus as first of all I heard a rumor that STA won't be buying these sort of buses in the future.

A driverless car will still be one vehicle with one person in it, which does not seem to be a congestion reduction solution.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Has anyone noticed that the ride quality on the Scania L113CRBs is really bad?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

idontknow556 wrote:Has anyone noticed that the ride quality on the Scania L113CRBs is really bad?
Not as bad as Scania L113CRL, which bumps and rattles too much, is enough for me to never want a journey longer than 15 mins on one. L113CRB at least has better reclined seats and conventional heaters at your feet in winter, i acknowledge that - LCRL has, for all i know, pretty much nothing redeeming about it
Swift

Post by Swift »

Yet people worship them like Baal. Yes they are loud and vocal and have impressive performance, but their bodies have always looked ungainly to me with their abnormal length and that tag axle. The low floors ate far better looking from side on, particularly the near side. But their ride is still unacceptable.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

The Scania L113CRBs are starting to be withdrawn. 3 buses from Ryde withdrawn, 3462, 3472 and 3474.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

When are the B10BLEs going to be withdrawn? Some of the Burwood Depot B10BLEs are in really bad conditon like 3969.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”