NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
YoYo

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Post by YoYo »

Trains from the T2 line being diverted via the T3 via Regents Park this weekend due to trackwork between Cabramatta and Granville.

The train's aren't stopping at any of the stations between Cabramatta to Lidcombe via Regents Park. Ridiculous considering the trip time remains effectively the same as the 3:22 T3 via Regents Park during the week from Cabramatta service (this weekly service has it timetabled to stop at Berala for 3 mins).

Really not sure why Sydney has it in for this portion of the network.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I had noticed today there was a exCCN train around 10am that had run around the City Circle and terminated at Central any explanation ? Also unusual to see a empty train run through the Airport Line tunnels set A75 southbound I would have thought it run via Sydenham instead.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Wiki has been updated today to show that M sets are now kept and maintained at Auburn instead of Eveleigh - I dont believe that is correct. Any comments either way?
Living in the Shire.

Post by 3805 »

The M Sets have moved out from Eveleigh several months ago in preparation of the NIF. They are indeed maintained at Auburn now. The section at Eveleigh where the M Sets were is now being re-built and re-configured for the NIF.
Комитет государственной безопасности​
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Have the Oscars also moved to Auburn?
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

M sets are maintained in the Waratah facility, Oscars at UGL Maintrain.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Is there a document or website that lists the run number of each train together with the timetable?

I would find that very handy when looking things up something like anytrip.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:M sets are maintained in the Waratah facility, Oscars at UGL Maintrain.
Thanks - that makes sense but it raises another question.
Wiki states
In 2002 the former ACDEP site was redeveloped as Eveleigh Maintenance Centre, which until 2018 was operated by Downer EDi Rail and served both Sydney Trains' Millennium and Oscar sets,
but as the Oscars are not serviced by Downer, were the Oscars ever serviced at Eveleigh?

wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eveleigh_ ... ps#Closure
Living in the Shire.
parraeel

Post by parraeel »

Engineering wrote:Is there a document or website that lists the run number of each train together with the timetable?

There is, but it isn't available to the general public. The SWTT lists the run numbers and set types.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Next There shows run numbers and set types. Also carriage loadings.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Fleet Lists wrote:Wiki has been updated today to show that M sets are now kept and maintained at Auburn instead of Eveleigh - I dont believe that is correct. Any comments either way?
That was my doing. I happened to be on the page and I remembered the move being discussed here when it happened.

If you read the Reliance Rail contract/agreement, the ability to take over maintenance of the M sets is specifically set out as a requirement. I do wonder if Auburn has the capacity for A's, M's, and all the options for B's.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thanks - I have since expanded the wiki article to cover the move in 2018 but I am still questing the Eveleigh article where it states that the Oscars were being serviced there by Downer as they are not serviced by them but by UGL as Boronia states. So that throws doubt on the Eveleigh statement.
Living in the Shire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Fleet Lists wrote:Thanks - I have since expanded the wiki article to cover the move in 2018 but I am still questing the Eveleigh article where it states that the Oscars were being serviced there by Downer as they are not serviced by them but by UGL as Boronia states. So that throws doubt on the Eveleigh statement.
According to the NIF Eveleigh REF: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/ ... n-body.pdf (Section 2.1)
As part of current operations, the Precinct is primarily used to undertake stabling and maintenance activities as follows:

 Millennium fleet – The Millennium fleet is an electric fleet operated by Sydney Trains and are maintained under contract by Downer EDI. Maintenance of the Millennium fleet occurs on Maintenance Roads (tracks) 5-9 within the Millennium Shed and Road 10 which runs adjacent to the southern wall of the Millennium Shed. The Millenniums are part of the wider Sydney suburban fleet operated by Sydney Trains which includes T-sets (Tangara), S-sets, A-sets (Waratahs), C-sets and K-sets. Stabling and maintenance of these suburban fleets occurs at other stabling and maintenance facilities located throughout the rail network. Any train type however can utilise the Precinct on an as needs basis.

 Outer Suburban Rail Car (Oscar) fleet – The Oscar fleet is an electric fleet operated by NSW TrainLink. Maintenance of the Oscar fleet is carried out by the Sydney Trains Fleet Maintenance Division and occurs on Maintenance Roads 1-4 within the Oscar Maintenance Shed.

 Endeavour/XPLORER fleet – The Endeavour and XPLORER fleets are diesel powered trains operated by NSW TrainLink. Maintenance is carried out by Sydney Trains Fleet Maintenance Division within the Endeavour/XPLORER Maintenance Shed.

 Heritage train fleet – The heritage fleet comprises a mixture of diesel and steam engine heritage trains. These trains are operated and maintained by Rail Heritage. The heritage fleet is stabled and maintained within the Large Erecting Shop.
It seems the Millennium was the outlier in the precinct by not being maintained in house.
With NIF maintenance being contracted to UGL anyway, I can see Oscar maintenance being handed over.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thanks again - I will tweet the Eveleigh page a bit more so that hopefully it will be a bit closer to the truth than it was.

Your initial change which I questioned has resulted in a few other things being sorted out.
Living in the Shire.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

parraeel wrote:
Engineering wrote:Is there a document or website that lists the run number of each train together with the timetable?

There is, but it isn't available to the general public. The SWTT lists the run numbers and set types.
It's available to the public for anyone who registers at https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/d ... plete-gtfs

Sure, it's not a SWTT, but it's the same data in a nice standard format used by pretty much every transport operator
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

boronia wrote:Next There shows run numbers and set types. Also carriage loadings.
Thx. I usually use tripview, and did (with some help) find a setting to show run numbers

“There’s an option to enable it. If you tap on a train to show the detail view (with map at the top and timetable at the bottom), then tap on the menu in the top right, there should be a ‘Show Run Numbers’ option.”
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

S81 + a friend parked up on plat 20 at Central (possibly broken down) around 8:30 this morning.

A13 seen today with 2nd car locked off. No lights on but destination boards were still on.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

South Coast trains more popular than a Grand Final:

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... al/?cs=300
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

tonyp wrote:South Coast trains more popular than a Grand Final:

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... al/?cs=300
There really isn't much that can be done considering shortage of trains currently. Unless maybe spilt the 8 car train at Wollongong have 4 cars run express back into Sydney.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

What's the V set availability like? I know they don't run on the South Coast anymore but they could replace some runs on the central coast and cascade some extra H sets to the south?
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

H10 looks extremely scruffy easily the scruffiest Oscar at the moment it's just left strathfield towards Newwy
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

I think they should get Tangara set for service to Wollongong for extra service during the peak on weekday.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

TSE_SecretAni wrote:I think they should get Tangara set for service to Wollongong for extra service during the peak on weekday.
On weekdays most of the all stops Port Kembla to Waterfall services are operated by Tangaras already. Perhaps if the remainder of the local SCO services are replaced by Tangaras during the peaks, it could potentially free up one or two H sets to build up ex-Sydney services.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

J_Busworth wrote:
TSE_SecretAni wrote:I think they should get Tangara set for service to Wollongong for extra service during the peak on weekday.
On weekdays most of the all stops Port Kembla to Waterfall services are operated by Tangaras already. Perhaps if the remainder of the local SCO services are replaced by Tangaras during the peaks, it could potentially free up one or two H sets to build up ex-Sydney services.
Would there be enough Tangara's for regular T4 services ?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Some Tangaras operate on other routes so they could be replaced by other trains.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”