Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Mercedes-Benz O 405 NH Tour (Ft. Diesel + CNG) - 28/07/2018

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Important details:
Cost: $35 per person
Pick up: 9:30am at Elizabeth Quay Bus Station - Stand C4
Drop off: 6pm at Fremantle Station

Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to ensure a timely departure!

A more detailed overview will be provided in coming days.

Please advise on the Facebook event page, or PM Mr OC Benz to confirm your attendance to ensure we can cater for everyone on the day!
Once the workhorse of the Transperth bus fleet, the Mercedes-Benz O405NH buses delivered between 1999 and 2003 in both diesel and CNG variants are now progressively being withdrawn. Meeting Euro 2 emission standards and featuring an electric wheelchair ramp with kneeling, they were the first large order of wheelchair accessible low-entry buses significantly improving accessibility.

There were multiple variations of the O405NH with Volgren bodies delivered to Transperth:
- O405NH 12.3m Diesel Voith (Most common type)
- O405NH 12.3m CNG ZF
- O405NH 11.2m Diesel Voith (including 5 with unique fronts for Perth CATs)

The remaining CNG powered O405NH's will be withdrawn within the next 12 months while over one third of the diesel fleet has already been withdrawn.

New Volvo B7RLE and B8RLE buses being delivered have replaced the earliest of these buses while a new bus supply contract for 900 buses commencing in mid-2019 will see the remainder of them withdrawn. So now is the ideal time to do a tour while we still have some variety to choose from!

For enquiries, please contact Zack Harrison.

Many thanks to the volunteers behind the scenes working to pull this together!

1whoknows

Re: Mercedes-Benz O 405 NH Tour (Ft. Diesel + CNG) - 28/07/2

Post by 1whoknows »

Farewell tours for low floor buses. Feeling so old now!
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
sylar

Post by sylar »

1whoknows wrote:Farewell tours for low floor buses. Feeling so old now!
Totally agree, I still remember the big unveiling of 1140 back in 1999 which was featured on channel 7 news. I was so very impressed with it thinking how advanced and futuristic it looked with the kneeling/ramp, silver/green livery and the luxury of air conditioning..... fast forward to today and I find myself boarding 1562 this morning thinking how dated the ole NH's look but still appreciate the role they played in commencing the renewal of the Transperth fleet.

It will be a very sad day indeed when the last NH is withdrawn.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

9 days to go, are there any updates for us non-facebookers?
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

adx666 wrote:9 days to go, are there any updates for us non-facebookers?
Thanks for asking, we have just provided further information today!
We're excited to announce a week away from the tour, that the finishing touches are being applied. All three Transperth contractors will be involved with at least five buses being supplied and other surprises in-store! For those who are coming, please be sure to click that "Going" button. We are expecting record-breaking attendance and this will assist us in providing the best possible service!

Important details:
Cost: $35 per person
Pick up: 9:30am from Elizabeth Quay Bus Station - Stand C4
Drop off: 6pm at Fremantle Station or 6:15pm at Elizabeth Quay Bus Station

Please arrive at the pick up location at least 15 minutes prior to ensure a timely departure!

There will be plenty of opportunities to take photos, videos and regular breaks for refreshments will be provided.

A more detailed overview of the day will be posted in coming days.

Hope to see you all there!
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The public overview is now available for this Saturday's tour!

Due to a late change with vehicles, we are no longer able to offer a drop off at Elizabeth Quay Bus Station. Upon completion of the tour at Fremantle Station, the following alternatives are available to guests:
- Catch High Frequency Route 910 to Canning Bridge and transfer to bus or train for Elizabeth Quay
- Catch the Fremantle Line train to Perth and transfer to a train for Elizabeth Quay
... Or you may wish to stay and enjoy what Fremantle has to offer for the evening!

See you all for a 9:30am departure on Saturday!
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Good stuff MR OCB, looking forward to Saturday...
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Pinza

Post by Pinza »

Hi all. Couldn't make this but can someone please give a rundown of the day and maybe a pic or 3 please.

Thanks
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Pinza wrote:Hi all. Couldn't make this but can someone please give a rundown of the day and maybe a pic or 3 please.

Thanks
Not a problem!

We started at 9.30am with two buses - a PATH O405NH CNG (1786) and a Transdev O405 midi (1828). We piled onto them and drove around for a little while taking photos at some scenic spots, one on Alexander Dr in Inglewood, again at Karrinyup Rd. Stirling and finally on Wanneroo Rd somewhere.

We then headed back to the busport where we were introduced to the rest of the buses - PATH O405NH (1568), Transdev O405NH (1218 with the CR226L body) and Transdev O405NH CNG (1805). All five buses were then taken to s scenic spot just outside the new stadium where we were joined by a Horizons West 0405NH (CVL 2856), for a group photo and lineup. I believe we went back to EQ after that and had lunch.

1828 and 1786 went back home, and the next run was done with 1568 and CVL2856. More photo opportunities on Mounts Bay Rd (UWA), Shenton Park bus bridge and Leederville Station.

A trip back to EQ and we swapped onto the last two buses - 1805 and 1218. We worked our way down from EQ to Fremantle via Canning Hwy with a few more photo opportunities on Canning Hwy and Hamilton Hill. By now the sun was going down so we had the last photo op for the day, on North Fremantle beach as the sun was setting! And that was it! A pretty great day!

For a lot of the photos we also arranged for the buses to display historic route numbers like the 145, 98 and 17 which was a nice touch!

I'll post some photos in a bit if nobody else beats me to it (Didn't manage to get a good photo of the entire group though sorry!)
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

Where will these be sold?
One would think they would be sold in a job lot to another country like New Zealand?
I doubt they want such new tech buses getting into the hands of private operators just yet...

I could be completely wrong! but we shall see..
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

wayfarer wrote:Where will these be sold?
One would think they would be sold in a job lot to another country like New Zealand?
I doubt they want such new tech buses getting into the hands of private operators just yet...

A few have been sold to private operators here in Melbourne with more to be bought

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

wayfarer wrote:Where will these be sold?

They're usually auctioned on Manheims :)

http://www.manheim.com.au/trucks-machin ... cedes-Benz

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”