TFNSW Cadet/Scholar/Grad

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
NickTy

TFNSW Cadet/Scholar/Grad

Post by NickTy »

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me about the scholar program? Is it really competitive to get in? I'm a Year 12 student applying for the business stream.

Can anyone tell me about the pay or the hours? Whereabouts are the metro jobs located because there's different offices.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: TFNSW Cadet/Scholar/Grad

Post by Swift »

Hi NickTy,
have you tried contacting them or looking them up? Trying to get a reply here can be like pulling teeth sometimes. :roll:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
pylelo

Post by pylelo »

Hey,
Been a lurker prior but saw this question and thought I would join to answer the question. Been a cadet, turned graduate at TfNSW.

The scholar program is where you work in your university holidays [as a full time equivalent - 35hrs/wk] and then you have the option to work a few days during semester as well depending on how comfortable you are with your study workload. The perks of being a scholar is that your university fees are paid for as long as you remain part of the program and that also makes it quite a competitive process. Not to discourage you from applying, it is a great program especially if you have an interest in the workings of the network and are looking to overlay technical skills you learn at university to a job.

If I recall correctly, the pay is equivalent to ~$26/ph and you also accrue leave entitlements. You can be placed anywhere in Sydney Metro, this can be Chatswood, CBD, Mascot, Burwood, Parramatta..

Happy to answer any further questions on these programs!
Swift

Post by Swift »

I hope it isn't an indoctrination programme to keep running transport like they presently do. Refusal to consider all door boarding on buses despite cctv technology and proven benefits from experience overseas and buses without flat floor all the way and three doors.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Of course they will be indoctrinated.

TfNSW certainly wouldn't want smart-arse Uni graduates turning up with new ideas, or examples of how other jurisdictions operate their transport.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

University is indoctrination. Educated people are some of the dumbest. One of life's paradoxes.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Swift wrote:University is indoctrination. Educated people are some of the dumbest. One of life's paradoxes.
Yes, just look at the dumb Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, both a waste of good money! Also consider this list of educational failures -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucasian_ ... athematics

The strange exercise of being intellectually lazy by tarring everyone with the same brush!
grog

Post by grog »

Swift wrote:University is indoctrination. Educated people are some of the dumbest. One of life's paradoxes.
:roll:
Swift

Post by Swift »

grog wrote:
:roll:
You obviously don't observe uni students on public transport. They may be budding engineers and lawyers, but they have zero common sense and are stupid in everyday things that don't involve a text book or white board.
Some the most intelligent and clear people I have met are unskilled factory workers.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

They're just young people enjoying the time of their lives while they have little responsibilities, let them be.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I'm sick of people jumping to the defence of people who should know better. Having fun and being thoughtful need not be mutually exclusive. Forgiveness and tolerance can only go so far.
grog

Post by grog »

No, it is completely uncalled for to make a comment like "Educated people are some of the dumbest."

Anti-elitist bulls*t.

How's that medicine you take when you get sick? And the bridges and tunnels you travel on without collapsing?
Swift

Post by Swift »

They're great. Thanks.
There are always exceptions.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

In defence of Swift there are stupid university degrees now days Bachelor Arts majoring in Gender Studies or Art Studies for example.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote: You obviously don't observe uni students on public transport. They may be budding engineers and lawyers, but they have zero common sense and are stupid in everyday things that don't involve a text book or white board.
Some the most intelligent and clear people I have met are unskilled factory workers.
Have to agree with this in some instances.

I have worked with, or associated with, many graduates who have "excellent qualifications", but little sense of the real world, or even experience in their chosen profession.

They might have an "XYZ Degree", but it seems to be a "Degree in reading XYZ textbooks".
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

In defence of those ostensibly ridiculous sounding degrees, university should be about studying in depth on anything in life, trouble is when they are being prescribed what to follow instead of coming up with their own conclusions based on research and fact that may challenge the status quo. Something frowned upon by all too many agenda driven fraternities.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Swift wrote:In defence of those ostensibly ridiculous sounding degrees, university should be about studying in depth on anything in life, trouble is when they are being prescribed what to follow instead of coming up with their own conclusions based on research and fact that may challenge the status quo. Something frowned upon by all too many agenda driven fraternities.
You're more than welcome to challenge university teaching staff views, always. I've never heard of any staff who has marked down student's essays or assessments because they decided to disagree with the prescribed reading or anything else.
boeing
Favourite Vehicle: Airbus A380

Post by boeing »

At the end of the day, a university education is nothing more than that. It purports, rightly or wrongly, to say one is capable of learning more than one knows beforehand.
It doesn't compare to 40 years of experience in any field but maybe it differentiates those that "might" be able to think outside of the box from those that cannot.

Personally I think I'd like to have one up my sleeve (which I don't) and if I was to employ people I think it wouldn't be on the basis of having or not a university education, rather what someone might be able to do.
And I think a university education is one indicator of that capability.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

I think it might be time to lock this thread, it has gone a bit off thread.

I'll just leave this link so the OP knows what to expect.

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/tfnsw-saville-assessment
pylelo

Post by pylelo »

I think I should get some sort of last word on this, what a welcome hey to anyone wanting to pursue a career in transport.

Cadets / Grads will come into a workplace with little prior experience. What this means is that they often have a view or an idea that challenges the status quo or if you flip the coin, potentially become indoctrinated. The comment around TfNSW and indoctrination around policy positions is a poor and irrelevant attack. Don't attack an organisation for something that varies from individual to individual.

What a motivated and keen cadet/grad can offer is a good work ethic, an ability to challenge ideas and most importantly a positive attitude. While at that level, they won't be creating transport policy but they will definitely be able to shape components of it. Much more than some of the negative commentary in this thread which really won't get you anywhere.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”