[Jul/Aug 2018] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
transenthusiast

[Jul/Aug 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by transenthusiast »

I was on my 167 going past Mile End depot a couple or so Fridays ago & I saw 1362 round the back alongside 1900. Anyone know what's going on with both of them?
jibb

Re: [May/Jun 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by jibb »

1900 has been out the back for some time. Volvo 1305 is out the back at Port Depot with some of its panels missing, also some windows-covered in plastic.
it has been sitting there for several months.
Just wondering if its been withdrawn?
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

I saw today a volgren scania l94ub 2axle/3axle bus with orange desto
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I think 3359 is the one with the new display.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

Volvo 1305 is out the back at Port Depot with some of its panels missing, also some windows-covered in plastic.
it has been sitting there for several months.
1305 was there for some body repairs but is not there any longer. I believe has been returned to Mile End and likely to be back in service soon, if not already in service.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

TA3001 wrote:I think 3359 is the one with the new display.
3350 is the one, had it since February.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Starting to notice variations to the first version of the red/blue livery on 30xx/31xx series trains.

Some with black and now some with high visible reflection tape the length of the carriage at the bottom of the external body, some with a retained blue surrounding highlights to the door frames others with bright yellow door framework and this one pictured with a high visible patches on the frontage above and below windows.

Seems like they are trying different options out? Noticed new brakes on 3120 this morning - reminds me of the type possibly fitted to melbournes comeng trains by the sounds -though far less noise at this early stage.
Attachments
20180705_123548.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 11051 times
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Are there any operational benefits associated with spending all this dosh just to uglify them even more?
thedom

Post by thedom »

New engines extend life, same as bogies and brakes etc.. the external livery is unlikely to improve the ride unless you believe that red goes faster and ignore the other improvements.
thedom

Post by thedom »

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... -July-2018

The Seaford train timetable is being updated as a result of passenger feedback from Monday 23 July 2018.

The 8.08am train departing from Seaford will now service all stops from Seaford to Woodlands Park, then will run express to the city. The arrival time of this train in the city has not changed, still arriving at Adelaide Railway Station at 8.53am.

This will make it easier for students around Marion and Hove stations to now get to school and for parents to drop them off and get into the city before 9am.

Passengers who previously alighted at stations between Woodlands Park and the city will now need to change trains at Woodlands Park.

Source: adelaidemetro.com.au

Apparently they will update a timetable for one service change now... signs of a new government at the helm?
The judge and jury

Post by The judge and jury »

As frustrated as I've been with trains on gawler line since they resleepered the upgraded trains with new engines seem a lot better.

Quite fast acceleration taking off from stations and speed in between.

Not sure about the repaint and whether it is necessary.

Assume some bureaucrat thought it might increase patronage as port power supporters refused to catch the ones emblazed in crows colours lol.

Look like they have been badged for the French transport authority
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

TA3001 wrote:Are there any operational benefits associated with spending all this dosh just to uglify them even more?
Yeah, red makes vehicles go faster. Everyone knows that.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Re: [Jul/Aug 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by Route 506 »

I caught train 3123 yesterday which is still in original yellow Adelaide Metro livery, and as I got on it I thought it was making some sort of strange noise (proving my lack of mechanical knowledge!!) until we took off and I realised that it had also had its engine replaced. I thought they were replacing the engines as they repainted them. That was the first train I had been on with a new engine and they seem to move along well, as well as giving the 3000/3100 class a bit of a different sound. There's almost a little bit of the jumbos about the new engines... but never the same!
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I heard that a Morphetville bus that was on standby at Adelaide Oval was used on a 157X this arvo to cover a breakdown.

No idea which one it was, but it would be 'tolerable' albeit not overwhelmingly interesting seeing a CB60 K230UB on West Lakes Boulevard. But a 700 series NL would be a tad less bland.
busrider
Administrator

Post by busrider »

Volvo B8RLE #2451 appears to have been withdrawn, its registration has expired and it was sighted by someone today passing through the town of Paringa.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Well that's just sad, and at such a young age too...
Referring to 2451
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Won't be sorry to see it go. Had numerous flaws as far as I'm concerned the most noticeable of which was that the air con was preset and the driver was not able to adjust the temperature manually. As such they were either cold in winter or hot in summer as the thermostat reads from the passenger section of the bus. Given today's technology you'd think the manufacturers would introduce dual zone climate control.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Skexis wrote:Had numerous flaws as far as I'm concerned the most noticeable of which was that the air con was preset and the driver was not able to adjust the temperature manually. As such they were either cold in winter or hot in summer as the thermostat reads from the passenger section of the bus. Given today's technology you'd think the manufacturers would introduce dual zone climate control.
Perth's Volvos are at a fixed temperature of about 22º - although the Thoreb does monitor cab and passenger compartment temperatures. Temperature control isn't such a bugbear for me, instead, I'd rather see manual fan control. Its both annoying and distracting having the ThermoKing in our Volvos decide to run in "jet engine" mode sometimes for hours on end.
Then there are the TK-equipped OCs... Might be set for whatever temperature, but prioritise A/C over heating to the point the bus becomes a meat locker. When the analogue (but automatic) dual-zone climate in my 25y/o car works better than a late-model bus, you gotta wonder.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Wow, someone finally dislikes the B8 Chassis! It's almost a miracle!

Anyone know what engines are being fitted to the Pox Boxes, to replace the MB OM444LA V12's? I'm assuming possibly Cummins KTA-19R's as fitted to the Jumbo's? Be interesting to see how they would run at a constant speed to cater for the electric traction.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
busrider
Administrator

Post by busrider »

Not Cummins, but Mercedes V8s. I don't believe they run at a constant speed, either...
jibb

Post by jibb »

Another new Bustech bus built by Precision Bus at Edinburgh North has been spotted in the spray booth at All Transport Crash repairs at Regency Park.
Still no official announcement from the Government re the results of the tender for new buses for Adelaide Metro.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Given the poor options so far offered I think they should reorder what we already have.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit O-Bahn Scania Artic 1101 has returned to service after nearly 5 moths off the road.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The State Transport Minister has just issued a press release advising that tram services along the North Terrace and King William Road extensions will not commence on Sunday 29th July.
Signalling issues were identified during driver training,which are currently being investigated, meaning driver training has been unable to continue.
Experts from Hanning and Kahl which provided the signalling system are being consulted and are flying from Germany to Adelaide to help rectify the issue as soon as possible.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Colonnades has had new bus shelters installed where the old 733/734 stops were. Pretty useless really as there's not enough roof to cover people from the overhead sun and there's no decent protection from the rain either. Another example of some deskbound clown thinking for him/herself instead of studying the question properly.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”