More train services from 22nd April.

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

More train services from 22nd April.

Post by jibb »

Transport Minister Stephen Knoll has this morning announced 30 minute frequencies on all lines(except Grange and Tonsley) including nights and weekends.
There will be express services in peak hours on the Outer Harbor line,more semi-express services on the Seaford line with reduced travelling times,and oter changes.
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... m-22-April
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Re: More train services from 22nd April.

Post by Route 506 »

This is good news especially for those using the Belair line .... always seemed strange that it was an hourly service on weekends and nights. The Seaford and Gawler Central line have been long overdue for a 30 mins night service, so it's good to see.

Obviously the Grange line must not have enough demand between Woodville and Grange for an upgrade, but I'm wondering if once the Tonsley line is extended to Flinders will it be increased as well? One would think so but...
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
jibb

Post by jibb »

I reckon you"d be safe in saying that a 30 minute night and weekend frequency on the new Flinders Link service starting later next year would be a goer.
Considering it will service both Flinders University and Flinders Medical Centre there would be considerable demand for the service, and it should be well patronised.
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

It's all good but one thing puzzles me with the Gawler line, why would you continue to have a 60 minute frequency to intermediate stations between Adelaide & Dry Creek during the day at weekends when they will be every 30 minutes in the evening? It almost seems like an oversight on the part of whoever drew up the new timetables & makes no sense.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Mike M wrote:It's all good but one thing puzzles me with the Gawler line, why would you continue to have a 60 minute frequency to intermediate stations between Adelaide & Dry Creek during the day at weekends when they will be every 30 minutes in the evening? It almost seems like an oversight on the part of whoever drew up the new timetables & makes no sense.
Lazy timetabling - just copy the line above and add 40 minutes. I still don't get why Mile End receives 4 services per hour on nights and weekends, other than to promote a simple "every train, all stops" message.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Mike M wrote:It's all good but one thing puzzles me with the Gawler line, why would you continue to have a 60 minute frequency to intermediate stations between Adelaide & Dry Creek during the day at weekends when they will be every 30 minutes in the evening? It almost seems like an oversight on the part of whoever drew up the new timetables & makes no sense.
The current Gawler Central line stopping patterns date back to when the 15 minute frequencies were first introduced. Also, the newest timetable dates from 04/02/13 which explains the lack of improvements. But obviously the introduction of more frequent night services will basically force the DPTI to fine-tune some already existing services.

However, what would be better? Trains stopping all stations with 7 minutes added to the timetable, or the current stopping pattern?

The semi express pattern does reduce the number of annoying announcements one has to endure, but it is not favourable towards high frequencies at all stations. I'm not sure why North Adelaide still doesn't have any after hours services. It should be served at the same frequency as Ovingham, or closed down in my opinion. A bit of modernisation wouldn't hurt to make it more attractive too, if it is going to be retained.

And what's the deal behind the spelling with 'Hi frequency stations', and 'It's not fare!'. I can detect a ****** joke with the second one, but it is too teenage style for my liking.
Route 506

Post by Route 506 »

Good Points made re the Gawler Central line. It would seem just as easy to make all trains stop at all stations, just like they did with Seaford. I recall before the extension and electrification every second Noarlunga Centre was express between the City and Woodlands Park, but now all service all stations.

As for North Adelaide station, it has baffled me why they don't service it properly or at least the same as Ovingham. There is also a café/shop there now, so surely it trains actually stopped there people would use it. Similar to the café set up at Bowden. Speaking of which, I still see a lot of stations that have the old buildings at the platforms all locked up, and it would be great to have a few more of them converted like North Adelaide and Bowden have been. Belair pops to mind as a perfect example especially being a terminus. These old buildings just seem really wasted (a bit like what was the ticket office at Salisbury before it was shut down :roll: )
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

What this means is a thorough shake up of the bus timetables so as to fit in with the new train services. Next few weeks will be interesting.
Route 506

Post by Route 506 »

Skexis wrote:What this means is a thorough shake up of the bus timetables so as to fit in with the new train services. Next few weeks will be interesting.
You would hope that Blackwood Station would get some bus timetable improvements to connect with the more frequent train services, like a few more 195/196 or 600/601 services... maybe even 893/894? But definitely a good opportunity to improve bus connections in that area.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”