Rare and interesting car sightings

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Rare and interesting car sightings

Post by Swift »

That's right! The Laser sedan also came in a redline edition with the two tone treatment and tx3 alloys as seen in the photo.
It was basically a Laser GL with some touches borrowed from the TX3 such as the instrument cluster and sports cloth trim internally and the wheels plus paint treatment and red or yellow trim in the rub strips and bumpers.
It was mechanically the same as their GL stablemates, designed to appeal to the younger (or young at heart) set.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
scott

Post by scott »

One of my teachers in primary school had a white KE Laser, which the nine year old me at the time thought was a Redline (had seen an ad for them) but it had yellow lines in the rub strips and not TX3 wheels, just a set of genuine plastic hub caps (the standard GL had chrome type wheels with centre caps). Not knowing any better at the time, I asked her "Is that white Laser you are driving a Redline" in the yard after she arrived one morning and she said "it is a GL and why do you ask", turns out in the end it was dressed up by the dealer in a bid to appeal to the target market.
Swift

Post by Swift »

VN Commodore in a lane with an interesting name.
Attachments
IMG_20171220_120530-800x451.jpg
IMG_20171220_120530-800x451.jpg (121.53 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
IMG_20171220_120551-800x451.jpg
IMG_20171220_120551-800x451.jpg (173.79 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Saw a Vauxhall Cavalier earlier this evening, odd choice of car to bring into the country...
Swift

Post by Swift »

Two Fords from two eras. I pulled up in the Fairlane for this shot.
Attachments
IMG_20180131_194714-1000x563.jpg
scott

Post by scott »

Up for grabs, a 1975 TD Cortina survivor. At least 2 owners, the first trading it at around two years old.

https://www.australianmusclecarsales.co ... a-xle.html

A Blue Meanie VK with 6413km on it

https://www.australianmusclecarsales.co ... e-355.html
Swift

Post by Swift »

Since you have this talent for finding forgotten models from the past, are you able to find a 1970s Volvo 264GL or at least the later 264GLE?
scott

Post by scott »

Well, Google is your friend, just happened to tap in 264GLE and this one pops up

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 5527/?Cr=0
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Any Volvo with a V6 engine is a risky undertaking
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

scott wrote:Well, Google is your friend, just happened to tap in 264GLE and this one pops up

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 5527/?Cr=0
I was saying you had the gift? I have been wondering if one with the non wrap around taillights and American style dual headlamp combination existed for years and you have just found it! How do you do it?
I am mighty confused about the year though. Our its listed as a 1979 model, but has a claimed build date of January 1978 but they mention it was built in 1977.
Going by the older style taillights, it's the latter. I have never seen GLE badging on that body with the older tail lamps.
I would prefer it had the steel rims with the disc hubcap with the V in the centre as they originally had. Also prefer the original big square head lamps with wiper. I could live with the changes though! What a beautiful example here.
Ten years ago a Qld dealer was asking $6000 for an immaculate example the same colour as this and with all the original embellishments.
Any Volvo with a V6 engine is a risky undertaking
I only want it as my weekend hobby car. Certainly not as an every day driver.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

boronia wrote:Any Volvo with a V6 engine is a risky undertaking
'specially the PRV (Peugot-Renault-Volvo) V6 these had. Too highly strung.
boronia

Post by boronia »

They were the only V6 Volvo used in that era.

The 760 model was a straight 6.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:They were the only V6 Volvo used in that era.

The 760 model was a straight 6.
The 760GLE introduced in the Australian market in 1983 also used the PRV V6 (beautiful sounding engine.). Maybe later series had an inline six, but the Douvrin special was certainly employed in the first few years at least. They even brought in a new and improved series that eliminated the camshaft wear problem.
Maybe you mean the early 70s 160 model that came before the 264GL.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Maybe it was the 960 that had the straight 6, now I think about it. I'm over my Volvo addiction now.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I can confirm that the Douvrin V6 was still in use on the 760 by 1989, after reading reviews on that year model. Apparently they were considered very reliable by then. The problem is getting to certain componentry during repairs, such as the spark plugs and alternator. You have to keep the oil up to them as well as the quality of the coolant, as they are all aluminium wet sleeve construction. One owner wrote that the PRV must have been designed by 'boffins".
scott

Post by scott »

Seen yesterday was an immaculate 90's classic in the form of an EF Falcon in unmarked Reef Green with a happy looking elderly driver, ran like a clock and was the best looking EF I have seen for ages. Nice to see one that was not run into the ground and boganised, and fitted with a fully sick sound system, I could see inside as I was on the right side and the original 4 speaker OE stereo was there with factory issue Pioneer speakers.
Swift

Post by Swift »

They were a fantastic car when new and were a big leap with the interior. They still look quite modern today, especially with the beige interior. And the power! They had amazing pickup, even compared to models that came after it. I think it must have had something to do with the advanced ignition system, which they reverted to a dizzy set up with the EL, after problems wit the EF's.
I had a spin in a taxi once with column auto and foot operated park brake. Must have been the taxi pack version, far more common in Victoria I presume. Most of the Sydney cabs were just regular sedans wit the T bar auto converted for taxi use.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Saw a 1990s White Magna Elite the other evening; elderly driver and in very good condition.
Didn't have a busted muffler or copious amounts of blue smoke pouring out the back as is standard on a Magna from that time.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Hope he/she keeps away from railway lines and car park walls.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I like the first of the V6 Magnas. Their V6 engines sounds like the PRV V6 without the problems. Also the best looking of the Mitsubishi Magnets IMO!!!
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Swift wrote:I like the first of the V6 Magnas. Their V6 engines sounds like the PRV V6 without the problems. Also the best looking of the Mitsubishi Magnets IMO!!!
The early V6 Magnas were Veradas. It wasn't until the facelift the Magna got a V6. I actually really like the early Magna looks TM to TS.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Nugget wrote: I actually really like the early Magna looks TM to TS.
The TS is the one I like. Stylish little number.
scott

Post by scott »

Magnas were known for their automatic transmission failures, mainly the TM to TP models, although the state automobile associations advised people buying all types of Magnas to give the auto transmissions a special check. Mitsubishi recommended a special automatic transmission fluid.

Mitsubishi replaced a lot of TM and TN autos, even out of warranty at no or subsidised cost. My local dealer had a Magna auto box always at the spare parts counter. Mitsubishi's after sales support of the Magnas was pretty good.

The TS Magna was the nicest of the 2nd generation, the facelift gave it a refreshed look over the TR. Models built from 1995 got an immobiliser standard in all models, but you still had to lock the doors the old fashioned way.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

scott wrote:Magnas were known for their automatic transmission failures, mainly the TM to TP models, although the state automobile associations advised people buying all types of Magnas to give the auto transmissions a special check. Mitsubishi recommended a special automatic transmission fluid.

Mitsubishi replaced a lot of TM and TN autos, even out of warranty at no or subsidised cost. My local dealer had a Magna auto box always at the spare parts counter. Mitsubishi's after sales support of the Magnas was pretty good.

The TS Magna was the nicest of the 2nd generation, the facelift gave it a refreshed look over the TR. Models built from 1995 got an immobiliser standard in all models, but you still had to lock the doors the old fashioned way.
We had a TM for about a decade, maybe more and we had to replace the box once. It just died one day. That said, the NRMA membership took care of towing to the dealer and the dealer/Mitsubishi took care of the rest. The box didn't have any troubles after that.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Nugget wrote: We had a TM for about a decade, maybe more and we had to replace the box once. It just died one day. That said, the NRMA membership took care of towing to the dealer and the dealer/Mitsubishi took care of the rest. The box didn't have any troubles after that.
How far into the decade did it need replacing?

Return to “The Lunch Room”