WA Transport General Discussion & Questions - 2017

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Shoudy Chen

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions - 2017

Post by Shoudy Chen »

I have hopped on a O405NH Natural gas bus that ran on Transcom (Route 960) from Curtin Uni to the city. TP1772-1796 are allocated for Transcom gas while TP1797-1819 ran on Westport Gas system. The sound of the Transcom CNG was different compared to the Westport gassies. I thought that the Westport system used a different engine than the Transcom.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Shoudy Chen wrote:I have hopped on a O405NH Natural gas bus that ran on Transcom (Route 960) from Curtin Uni to the city. TP1772-1796 are allocated for Transcom gas while TP1797-1819 ran on Westport Gas system. The sound of the Transcom CNG was different compared to the Westport gassies. I thought that the Westport system used a different engine than the Transcom.
The engine is the same. There are some differences and similarities in the engines, but at this point, both types have a throttle-body CNG Injection system fitted. You can usually hear the injectors ticking. The original factory setup from Mercedes was naturally-aspirated (N/A), with a non-injected gas mixer with an electronic idle circuit.

Biggest difference on the Transcoms is the addition of a turbocharger. The purpose of the turbocharger, I'm told, was to preserve the engine's power, as the Transcom system ran a lean-burn configuration as a means of reducing exhaust emissions (Euro III compliant?). Make of that what you will - the Transcoms seem no faster or slower than their counterparts.
Another feature I've been told of, which has since been disabled, is a system that deactivates three cylinders at idle. There may be other key differences I am not aware of.

1797-1819 have all seemingly received the Westport CNG Injection system. This is setup is relatively similar to what was fitted to the CNG O405 high floor buses later in life to combat poor performance - although I'm not sure if this batch are really any better than they used to be. This conversion was done around 2012 when these buses had their mid-life refurbishment, whereas the Transcoms were converted very early on.

It is worth noting that the entire batch were once held by PATH Transit. 1797-1819 were gradually sent to Fremantle during 2008 or thereabouts based on the delivery of low-floor buses at the time.
I personally recall seeing these for the first time around June/July 2008 and being quite confused as to their origins, being a youngster. :lol:
tonyp

Re: PTA / Transperth & Private Observations - Sep/Oct 2017

Post by tonyp »

Review of new Volgren CAT bus. I didn't know the CATs are funded out of a parking levy - good move.

https://www.busnews.com.au/bus-reviews/ ... -route-bus
KangaRam

Leederville Siding in use at approx 15:00 today

Post by KangaRam »

Why would a train be using the siding at Leederville station today at 15:00 approx (Joondalup Line)? Thanks.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

WA Transport General Discussion & Questions - 2017

Post by TP1462 »

KangaRam wrote:Why would a train be using the siding at Leederville station today at 15:00 approx (Joondalup Line)? Thanks.
If it’s a 6car it should be the one that does the stadium station trials in the morning then turns around at Leederville to do a Cockburn shuttle for its afternoon peak shift from Claisebrook yard if that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KangaRam

Post by KangaRam »

Thanks, it was a 6-car and it would need to go to Leederville to turn back to run down the Mandurah line
Roderick Smith

Re: Boy hit by bus

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

Perth student hit by bus still in intensive care.
Seven News, PerthNow October 27, 2017.
THE family of a Leeming High School student, who was hit by a bus in Perth’s south, have thanked the public for their support.
Zed Dicker-Lee, 17, remains in intensive care with a severe head injury after he was hit by the Transperth bus on Thursday afternoon.
The teen had just been dropped off by a bus a few doors from his home on Parkway Road in Bibra Lake when he was hit by another bus coming in the opposite direction.
Doctors were able to stabilise Zed on Friday morning, with his family issuing a statement.
Zed Dicker-Lee is fighting for life in hospital.
“We would like to thank you for all your thoughtful words, prayers and support,” the family said.
“Zed is in a stable condition and will be monitored in ICU for the next 24 hours.
“We would like to personally thank the kind people who assisted at the scene.”
Neighbour Samantha Meier stopped to help and soon realised the injured teen was a friend on her son’s.
“We were just trying to keep him conscious and warm,” she said.
“He sort of opened his eyes a little bit and went back into unconsciousness, he was drifting in and out.”
It is understood the teen may have been looking at something in his hand, possibly his mobile phone, when the step out in front of the bus.
There were 15 Kennedy Baptist College students on board the bus that hit Zed, and some of those students have been offered counselling.
Doctors say it remains unclear what Zed’s long-term prognosis will be, but for now his family remain at his bedside, hoping for the best outcome.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 074878e90e
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

How does one go about submitting photos to the perthbus.info site? Being a broke uni student that makes the trek from outer Mandurah to Perth every other day I see a lot of buses that don't yet have photos listed.

I requested to join their Facebook group quite some time ago (like, months ago) but haven't been accepted =|
sylar

Post by sylar »

good question squiddy, i've tried to submit feeback on perthbus.info in the past but couldn't because the feedback link is directed to a facebook site, not practicable for people who are not on facebook.

Another question I have is are all the new Volvo B7's Euro 6 standard ? I noticed today on the rear of 2482 it had a Euro 6 sticker fitted ? I thought all B7's were Euro 5 ??
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Some recent B7RLEs are Euro 6 but it will cease to be relevant soon. Chassis sales for the 7 stopped in the middle of the year. Naturally the last ones are still coming through from body builders around the country but not for much longer. From then on it will be B8RLEs which are Euro 6 compliant.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

For 2482, I'd say it has just had the wrong sticker applied. It's a Euro 5 that has been in service for over two years.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

1whoknows wrote:From then on it will be B8RLEs which are Euro 6 compliant.
Not true as a Euro V B8RLE variant will be offered in Australia alongside the Euro VI to appease the operators who do not wish to deal with the extra costs and complexity of a Euro VI product until legally necessary. In overseas markets, the B8R-series is available in a Euro III version too.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It looks like Curtin University's Sustainability Policy Institute has outlived its usefulness:

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/trackles ... b88698244z

Believe me, you don't want to entertain anything like this. Unproven and with similar ideas having a record of failure/high cost, not to mention disruption to service with flash recharges. Stick to what you do well - trains and excellent bus services, plus the tram proposal between UWA and Curtin that has a lot of legitimacy.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:It looks like Curtin University's Sustainability Policy Institute has outlived its usefulness:

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/trackles ... b88698244z

Believe me, you don't want to entertain anything like this. Unproven and with similar ideas having a record of failure/high cost, not to mention disruption to service with flash recharges. Stick to what you do well - trains and excellent bus services, plus the tram proposal between UWA and Curtin that has a lot of legitimacy.
Tony, do you think bi-articulated buses might have a place in the Perth transit system, or are they that close to light-rail capacity-wise that it would be better just to construct light-rail instead?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Tony, do you think bi-articulated buses might have a place in the Perth transit system, or are they that close to light-rail capacity-wise that it would be better just to construct light-rail instead?
I'm not sure that bi-artics would be allowed on the road in any Australian jurisdiction due to axle load issues, but I can't speak for WA. There are single-artics being developed, like the Mercedes Benz Capacity, that have a higher capacity without challenging the axle load too much and you can see why in this image:

These carry about 190 in Europe but, going by capacity comparisons for other types of bus, this would probably pan out at about 150 or so in Australia, which is still better than about 110 for a typical artic running in Australia. However, this is still well short of the minimum 220 pax for a 30 metre tram - and more if the tram is longer than 30 metres. Tram is the well-proven and reliable (and once running, with cheaper operating costs) technology for the next capacity step-up. It really boils down to an urban planning decision as to whether long-term development along any specific corridor will be such that it's best to go directly to building a rail line, or whether there are development constraints on that corridor that mean bus or tram will be sufficient in the long-term.

Any other technology, Curtin University is demonstrating its ignorance of the practical details and real-world experience.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Bi-artics have been talked about a few times in the past. Some of the Bus infrastructure I believe has been designed to accommodate them (with some modifications). If the government wants it, they’ll find a way to override any regulations. Brisbane is heading down the path of bi artics for their metro project.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Mr OC Benz wrote:Bi-artics have been talked about a few times in the past. Some of the Bus infrastructure I believe has been designed to accommodate them (with some modifications). If the government wants it, they’ll find a way to override any regulations. Brisbane is heading down the path of bi artics for their metro project.
I understand that Brisbane is getting around the regulations by restricting the bi-artics entirely to the busways and a special access to a depot next to the busway. I think most governments would take the view that if an exception was given to buses, the pushy truck industry will have its head through the loophole straight away wanting the same standard for themselves, meaning higher road maintenance costs for government. I bet this is something that would also torpedo this "tram on tyres" idea straight way as it would undoubtedly interact with the road system at intersections etc. One thing trams have going for them is those rails underneath!

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”