NSW Railway Observations - November 2017

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: NSW Railway Observations - November 2017

Post by Fleet Lists »

For sector information wiki is your friend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Trains
Living in the Shire.
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Re: Person doesn't believe that timetables no longer being p

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
swtt wrote:There will be ten regularly rostered T sets in Sector 3 on weekends from next Sunday.
For those that can't get that 'inside' information, where is "Sector 3"?

So how do I get a person who doesn't believe me that they NO LONGER print timetables, except on request by phone or to Transport Info's feedback page?

This person keeps saying “But I've been assured that timetables will be out at all stations, but they haven't printed them yet.” I've said to that person they're not going to print timetables anymore except as stated, but they start THIS weekend." They still don't believe me.

I call the Flemington Station and they said “Timetable copy will available by 22nd or 23rd November at Central Station”
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Fleet Lists wrote:I dont believe there has been any official advice that (train) timetables will no longer be printed except on request.
That's the reply by Sydney Train themselves.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Linto63

Re: Person doesn't believe that timetables no longer being p

Post by Linto63 »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:For those that can't get that 'inside' information, where is "Sector 3"?
Sector 1 covers the lines operated out of Mortdale depot (T4), sector 2 out of Flemington (T2, T3, T5-T7) and sector 3 out of Hornsby (T1). Not sure if the sectors actually still exist, they certainly did until a few years ago with all stock allocated to a particular sector / depot with each having its own target plates in red, blue and black respectively.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Sectors is a little bit of an old fashioned way of describing a combination of services due to the maintenance centre which the trains were based out of.

Sector 1 = today's T4 = Mortdale MC based trains
Sector 2 = today's T2, T3 = Flemington MC
Sector 3 = todays' T1 = Hornsby MC

T5 Cumberland services was a "cross sector" service, whilst Olympic Park has been branded Sector 4 at times, especially during the Olympics. Carlingford was generally considered Sector 2 as it operated with carriages out of Flemo.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A person has been killed by a train at Dapto. Services are suspended between Kiama and Wollongong.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:I dont believe there has been any official advice that (train) timetables will no longer be printed except on request.
What part of Sydney Trains? And Newcastle train timetables are not covered by Sydney Trains but NSW Trainlink.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Fleet Lists wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote:I dont believe there has been any official advice that (train) timetables will no longer be printed except on request.
I contacted Sydney Trains & that was their official reply.
Fleet Lists wrote:Newcastle train timetables are not covered by Sydney Trains but NSW Trainlink.
I never mentioned Newcastle in that, the NSW TrainLink interurban areas including Newcastle train timetables like the rest of the interurban lines are covered under the Sydney Trains website train timetables.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Linto63 wrote:Noted an 8-car C set headed south at St Leonards about 18:20, been a while since I last saw one away from T2/T3/T5.
C3 and C12 were operating this evening's 18:30 Central - Hornsby via Macquarie, so there use on T1 maybe more of a permanent thing. Or could be to do with sets being out of position with some of the stabling roads both in the yard and depot being relaid.
TSE_SecretAni

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

C Set, K Set and S Set will no longer run on T1 Western and T5 Cumberland Lines on weekends on 26th November 2017. But M Set will running on T5 Cumberland Line as a 4 cars.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

TSE_SecretAni wrote:C Set, K Set and S Set will no longer run on T1 Western and T5 Cumberland Lines on weekends on 26th November 2017. But M Set will running on T5 Cumberland Line as a 4 cars.
K Sets are the only ones tabled currently on Cumberland line anyway. No C or S Sets.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

TSE_SecretAni wrote: But M Set will running on T5 Cumberland Line as a 4 cars.
During the late night to Richmond too right? That would really be quite something new and an interesting sighting.
MLVD

Post by MLVD »

Didn't take a pic but Parramatta station has new screens showing the next three train destinations next to the stairs/escalators to each platform.
Sir S Set

Post by Sir S Set »

Linto63 wrote:
Linto63 wrote:Noted an 8-car C set headed south at St Leonards about 18:20, been a while since I last saw one away from T2/T3/T5.
C3 and C12 were operating this evening's 18:30 Central - Hornsby via Macquarie, so there use on T1 maybe more of a permanent thing. Or could be to do with sets being out of position with some of the stabling roads both in the yard and depot being relaid.
Also today. Spotted an 8C (possibly the same pair of sets?) pulling into Chatswood on the down, also round 18:30.
TSE_SecretAni wrote:C Set, K Set and S Set will no longer run on T1 Western and T5 Cumberland Lines on weekends on 26th November 2017. But M Set will running on T5 Cumberland Line as a 4 cars.
So please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that means:
T1: T, H and A sets, not counting days when a C, K or S may substitue for a failed T or A (like how we still get the odd S every now and again) or special events.
T2/T3/T5: M, A, K, C and S sets with the odd T when one of the rostered sets break down (like what sometimes happens now) or during trackwork.
T4: T and H sets.
T6/T7: K, C and S sets
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

T6 and 7 will have 4M and 8A (respectively) at select times.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
TSE_SecretAni

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
TSE_SecretAni wrote: But M Set will running on T5 Cumberland Line as a 4 cars.
During the late night to Richmond too right? That would really be quite something new and an interesting sighting.
Some M Set will run to Richmond on late night. However A Set will run between Leppington and Schofield on weekdays and weekends as a 8cars
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Yea I just got ahold of some more data. Very pleased to report I'm seeing a lot more OSCARS on T1 Northshore (i.e. all the way from Hornsby) towards City during the weekday off peak :) And even T sets! Right now T1 North Shore during the off peak from 10am-4pm is more or less also 100% Waratah and that got boring really quickly, thankfully thats over. Perhaps I'll stop catching the M40 into town with this level of variety. :D

Theres two late night services on T5 towards Richmond thats an M set, indeed, otherwise its 8A.

As someone else predicted - on the new T2 to Parramatta theres A LOT of silver sets - C and K galore. Some M and A thrown in too. Airport Line too, looking at Green square, every 3rd train (roughly) off peak is a K set... Poor airport. Wonder how frequent they'll be substituted for S sets. T6 Carlingford Line is an M set on weekdays now. T7 poor them, still timetabled as an S set.

I'm very very glad that my favourite train M set, which is currently for a large majority, mostly allocated to T3, has really been spread out nicely over other lines. Many many more Waratahs on T3 during weekdays (good, I don't really use T3!).

Haven't looked at the weekend roster yet, but seem to almost be back to a CityRail days level of variety unless mistaken so thats great
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Older sliver set vestibule design isn’t very good for customer with luggage on the Airport Line with the narrow staircases also makes it challenging for people with baggage get up or down. I expect dwell times to possibly worsen on the Airport Line. I guess at Green Square it might discourage people from using the train if they can’t get on maybe they’ll just catch the express bus to Central instead.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Frosty wrote:Older sliver set vestibule design isn’t very good for customer with luggage on the Airport Line with the narrow staircases also makes it challenging for people with baggage get up or down. I expect dwell times to possibly worsen on the Airport Line. I guess at Green Square it might discourage people from using the train if they can’t get on maybe they’ll just catch the express bus to Central instead.
Agree. Also, bad first impression of Sydney Transport for tourists.

Oh and during the peak its even worse. On a weekday, from Mascot towards Green Square, arvo peak, literally picked this at random. You've got three K sets in a row. 4:38pm 4:46pm and 4:53pm. Next ones a Waratah though, but only another train before the next K set.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Some strange timetabling overnight with trackwork closing North Strathfield to Rhodes, Central Coast trains ran via the North Shore, stopping Central, Chatswood, Hornsby, then normal stops. The strangest and most frustrating thing was the dwell time at Hornsby. The trains were timetabled to arrive at Hornsby at 20 past (eg 02:20), then dwell for 33 minutes to depart at 53 past (02:53). Would anyone know the reasoning for something like this?
TSE_SecretAni

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

The new Sydney/Intercity train timetable is now available at Central, Town Hall and Circular Quay information centre.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Some strange timetabling overnight with trackwork closing North Strathfield to Rhodes, Central Coast trains ran via the North Shore, stopping Central, Chatswood, Hornsby, then normal stops. The strangest and most frustrating thing was the dwell time at Hornsby. The trains were timetabled to arrive at Hornsby at 20 past (eg 02:20), then dwell for 33 minutes to depart at 53 past (02:53). Would anyone know the reasoning for something like this?
In the past when the late night central coast trains ran via the north shore, they would depart Central 16 min later and leave Hornsby at 52 past the hour, 30 min later than usual. I assume this is for passengers from Strathfield, Eastwood and Epping connecting with the train at Hornsby.

So the 11.45pm train would leave Central at 12.01am instead and so on. This seems like a better idea than dwelling at Hornsby for 32-33 min as passengers know they can arrive at Central later than normal.
Newcastle Flyer

At the southern end of Sulphide Jcn yard, a PTC class type (I wasn't them but the same loco type) & an Endeavour car attached to it.
White lives matter too.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Saw 2 S-sets at the same time at Redfern just now. Is there some kind of major Waratah problem still?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Last normal/regular day today to get a K set on T1. In fact, even better, got an S Set on T1 today!

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”