30 buses taken out of service- safety defects

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

tonyw
Favourite Vehicle: Bus

30 buses taken out of service- safety defects

Post by tonyw »

3AW Rumour File this morning. 30 buses taken out of service due to safety defects after random spot inspections.

Did not name the operator.

Operator had to call another company for assistance to complete school services.
krustyklo

Re: 30 buses taken out of service- safety defects

Post by krustyklo »

3AW Rumour File this morning. 30 buses taken out of service due to safety defects after random spot inspections.

Did not name the operator.

Operator had to call another company for assistance to complete school services.
Probably not difficult to find out based on the thread linked below...
https://www.busaustralia.com/forum/view ... d#p1013043

I must confess, I really tried hard not to assume it was the operator above, even though it was my first thought. Perhaps it still isn't and the observation of non-PTV liveried second hand school bus on route service and following comments about significant quantities of buses out of service from safety concerns are a complete coincidence...
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

I understand the operator concerned was around 40 buses short for the PM peak.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Confirmed this morning- Transdev. But we all knew that didn't we? If their contract is renewed it will be a travesty.
scott

Post by scott »

If this does not give them a kick in the bum, nothing will.

Last week,I had a driver of a 901 service complaining about the safety of the fleet, at a changeover and mentioned(his words) the so called "no expense spared" maintenance policy.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Elsewhere online, it is alleged a staff bulletin was issued today claiming the number was 33 buses.
Last week,I had a driver of a 901 service complaining about the safety of the fleet, at a changeover and mentioned(his words) the so called "no expense spared" maintenance policy.
Surely you mean "no expense incurred" maintenance policy... (no smiley)

I wonder what it would take for things to change? GIven the current operator doesn't seem to be on top of the details required to provide a reliable safe service, one wonders what will happen to either convince the current management to get their house in order, or the current owner (the government) to give them the boot. Although I do wonder whether this is a clever way of firing a strong warning shot...

I might have to have a look at the franchise agreement again to see whether safety issues are a cause for early termination.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

That would be interesting reading Krustyklo.Please let us know.
Clearly the cheap tender price by Transdev has long and ongoing consequences,not only in maintainence,I suspect.I don't think there is enough money in the contract to apply thorough maintainence to the fleet.
I think it has probably reached the stage,on public confidence grounds, that a political response is required.
The issue is the scale of the operation.Not easily replaced.Perhaps the method is to do what happened in Adelaide a couple of years ago with Light City Buses.That is remove groups of services and reallocate them to reputable operators.Perhaps halve it and break it up several ways.
I have long held the view that the franchise here is way too big to manage effectively,as are the Sydney contracts.
Any one elses thoughts ??
Buswas

Post by Buswas »

The size wasn't an issue when Ventura operated most of it!
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

Dyson’s and CDC don’t have any issues either, and they both operate out of countless depots across the entire state. All three operators have a similar amount of buses in their fleet. Not only that, but Dyson’s coverage area continues to grow especially now that they’ve taken over Shepparton recently and Wangaratta a few years ago.

Has it come as much of a surprise that this has happened, though? TDM have had ongoing issues since the day they took over the Ventura network.

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

tonyw wrote:...If their contract is renewed it will be a travesty.
We'll have to wait until 1 August 2020 Tony. This is the inevitable result of compulsory competitive tendering - lowest price, lowest standards. The moronic notion that you can improve service by reducing cost still rules the Treasury departments around Australia and the Liberal Party - who were responsible for this debacle. The contract wasn't the least bit concerned about standards, just cost. Fortunately, the current state government did not go down that path with the tram and train renewal contracts - instead negotiating to get better outcomes for a realistic cost. Of course, a number of morons in the media and elsewhere don't have the intellectual capacity to grasp the concept. Whether Transdev will be able to extricate themselves from this mess is unclear. Being the French government being the owner of Transdev (through primary owner Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations) should mean they have deep pockets. But why would they bother with buses here anyway? In the meantime, two good operators, Melbourne Bus Link and Ventura, suffered - the former by going out of business.
Paul_Nicholson
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Worldmasters

Post by Paul_Nicholson »

This thread is fascinating reading and if we can step back into the bigger picture for a moment demonstrates what Australia has become.

To think that such disruption could happen in what was once described as one of the world's most liveable cities is a cause for great concern.

Men and women who make decisions have allowed it to happen. Who are those men and women? Why aren't they named and shamed and held both accountable and responsible for their actions.

And, as System Improver, has so eloquently pointed out Australia has become a nation of morons. Bus enthusiasts excepted, of course. The failed Australian education systems must share some of the responsibility.

If such a large number of buses can be ordered off the road for alleged safety defects, one can only wonder what's going on in the wider/general community.

For instance, how safe are the AFL finals? So many people gathered together. Most of them morons? And the Spring Racing Carnival. Big events in Melbourne.

Sure we digress a little but what bus enthusiasts are now observing could be played out in so many areas of the wider community?

What hope is there for Australia and its people?
philm
Favourite Vehicle: A-class tram

Post by philm »

Photos of Dysons and Sita buses operating on Transdev routes this morning: https://twitter.com/aussiewongm/status/ ... 2141692930

Absolute disgrace how this is allowed to happen. And if I'm not mistaken, Transdev are not permitted to subcontract services to other companies without the approval of PTV. So either the government know about it and are taking no action to rectify the conditions or Transdev have broken their contract.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

How do we know they are not taking any action? I think PTV would prefer to see the services operated by another operator rather than not at all.
Living in the Shire.
philm

Post by philm »

Fleet Lists wrote:How do we know they are not taking any action? I think PTV would prefer to see the services operated by another operator rather than not at all.
Given the lack of announcements about fines and the fact that the bus shortage and service reliability issues has worsened over the four years that Transdev have had the contract, I'd say that it indicates a lack of action from all parties concerned.
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

philm wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:How do we know they are not taking any action? I think PTV would prefer to see the services operated by another operator rather than not at all.
Given the lack of announcements about fines and the fact that the bus shortage and service reliability issues has worsened over the four years that Transdev have had the contract, I'd say that it indicates a lack of action from all parties concerned.
The buses were ordered off the road by TSV so PTV would be aware of the 'issues' here. The Herald Sun is now in on the problems being encountered by Transdev
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east ... d005f00b67
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

So how does Transdev still hold accreditation?
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

Probably for the same reason Metro had its contracts renewed. Quantity over quality.

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Don't worry, their contract will be renewed, the Victorian Government always looks the other way when money is involved. If it somehow isn't renewed, expect them to source a public transport company from a communist/militant/third world country over one of the local operators.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Today I have sent this email to Jacinta Allan. Other members of this board could do the same by emailing : jacinta.allan@parliament.vic.gov.au

I think we should.

"Hi Jacinta

I have been meaning to write to you for a very long time about Transdev's bus network but haven't gotten around to it until now.

I am finally doing it because of the current issue regarding around 60 of Transdev's buses being taken out of service due to safety defects, as reported widely in the media.

Regular users of public transport in Melbourne have been aware since Day 1 that Transdev's network is deteriorating and continues to do so. Trandev's network is clearly the diritiest, worst maintained, least punctual and most unreliable in Melbourne.

Transdev buses are the dirtiest and most vandalised in Melbourne, with graffiti and scratched windows on every bus.

Transdev buses appear to be not cleaned regularly. Contrast Transdev buses with those of Dysons, for example, the difference is clear. Do you travel on the network? I urge you to sample Transdev and Dyson buses if you haven't.

Transdev buses frequently break down. I am 62 years old and never saw broken down buses when I was younger. I now see broken down Transdev buses every week as I travel around. I never see other operators buses broken down.

Trandev frequently cancel buses and truncate services for "operational reasons". This never happens on other networks.

You can get further feedback on the operation of Transdev's fleet by visiting this website: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

As a voter in this state I urge you not to renew Transdev's contract when it comes up for renewal. I urge you to give the contract to a local operator such as Dysons or Ventura who cares about the quality of service and quality of vehicles they put on the road. I want the money to go to local operators who will put the money back into the Victorian economy and give more jobs to Victorians.

Cheers ..."
system improver

Here is a link to the contract (some sections redacted):

https://www.tenders.vic.gov.au/tenders/ ... tring%257D

Getting out of the contract is not easy and could take months if not years. And pointing the finger of blame:
PTV announcement 26th April 2013:
"Minister for Public Transport (in the LNP Napthine goverment) Terry Mulder said the Coalition Government had established PTV to improve services for passengers.

"Buses are an important part of our public transport network and we want to see services continue to improve," Mr Mulder said.

"PTV was set up to improve the public transport services, coordination and this tender process is an important part of our plan to improve public transport, and will secure better bus services for Melburnians," Mr Mulder said.

Public Transport Victoria Chair and CEO Ian Dobbs said that Transdev Melbourne’s bid represented the best value for Victorian taxpayers and focused on customer service, creating a more reliable network and growing bus patronage.

"We have selected the operator that will best partner with PTV to deliver better bus services for a growing city," Mr Dobbs said.

"Most importantly, Transdev Melbourne made it clear that its priority is to deliver the highest quality bus services by continuously improving punctuality and reliability, safety, customer service and information."

Mr Dobbs said that, in a first for bus contracts in Victoria, a performance regime will be used as an incentive for reaching key performance targets, including carrying more passengers."

tonyw

Post by tonyw »

What a load of $hit
scott

Post by scott »

Did you get a response from Jacinta Allan, Tony?

There does not appear to be an end in sight by the looks of things. Transdev's Melbourne operation could potentially go broke very soon if things keep on going this way. This will be costing them a fortune.
philm

Post by philm »

Article in the Conversation about Transdev and competitive tendering: https://theconversation.com/competitive ... ance-85378
system improver

philm wrote:Article in the Conversation about Transdev and competitive tendering: https://theconversation.com/competitive ... ance-85378
"In 1998 under the Kennett government, many of Melbourne's bus routes were privatised and handed to British company National Express, only for it to walk away five years later with its Melbourne operation in a state of financial collapse.

The privatisation of government bus routes was overseen by then-public transport head Ian Dobbs, who last year returned to Victoria from Britain after being appointed chief executive of Public Transport Victoria, the Baillieu government's new statutory body.

Mr Dobbs is also driving the current overhaul of Melbourne's buses, which he has said will ''result in a value-for-money outcome and deliver improved bus services for passengers''.

The Liberals, and their appointee stooges, are ideological idiots. Labor learned their lesson from the debacle in the late 80s and throughout the Bracks/Brumby years used Negotiated Tendering not Compulsory Competitive Tendering. The Andrews government will also use Negotiated Tendering for the renewal of the rest of the metro bus network ( as they did with the tram and rail contract renewals). The question is, given Baillieu's dud contract, can the current government do anything, legally, except watch a repeat of National Express? It's possible that Transdev might come good. I might also win the lotto.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Something dramatic will need to happen for Transdev to come good in my opinion.The root issue is their tender price which was way too low and does not allow for quality operation.I don't think the Andrews government will throw more money at them.I also think it's not in Transdev's DNA to operate quality services.Their other operations in Australia,excepting Perth are all very average operations in quality terms.
I agree with you,System Improver that the former Liberal government decision to award the contract to Transdev on competitve tender was a shocker,as was the tender award to National Bus Company Pty.Ltd.(Bosnjak family),who sold out to National Express.I still maintain the opinion that the contract areas in both tender awards was way too big to manage well.Both businesses have shown that.Hopefully the next tender post Transdev, will feature a break up of the contract areas into more easily managed sections,with some sensible routing changes to accomodate current demand conditions.
I'm not sure the Andrews government can alter or get out of the contract with Transdev.Someone smarter than me will need to interpret the contract to work that one out !

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”