[Mar/Apr 2017] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
MrNicoster
Favourite Vehicle: Merc O305/G - MAN NL202/11.190

Re: [Mar/Apr 2017] SA Transport observations

Post by MrNicoster »

jibb wrote:
MrNicoster wrote:Correction, second to last 591C of the day. (Said friend was me, who went to get a ride on 117, got chatting with a driver, who got to Golden Grove 10 min early for the last 591C with 1820 to replace 117 for the last trip as he was not happy with the performance of it, he called it a break down but didn't seem like it to me...)[
Wondering if many people use the 591's in the morning or the afternoon?
No, there was only 2 other patrons on the service I was on. I can't say for other times of the day as that was my first time using the route.
Regards,
Mr Nicoster.

KickingDown around the suburbs with an NL202 and speeding down the O-Bahn in a Merc!
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

TransitTimes was apparently updated again on the 11th of March. However, it does not seem to have done any good as half of all services listed are no longer displaying real-time information for no apparent reason.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Actually it was working fine until yesterday.I feel it is a problem emanating from Adelaide Metro's feed.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

jibb wrote:Actually it was working fine until yesterday.I feel it is a problem emanating from Adelaide Metro's feed.
Hopefully that is the case. There's definitely something wrong, but maybe it will return to normal after peak hour.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Diesel_MAN wrote:
jibb wrote:Actually it was working fine until yesterday.I feel it is a problem emanating from Adelaide Metro's feed.
Hopefully that is the case. There's definitely something wrong, but maybe it will return to normal after peak hour.
There is a message on the Adelaide Metro website that "due to a Telstra Communications fault customers may experience difficulties with real-time".
This would explain the rpoblems being experienced by Transit Times.
Diesel_MAN

Post by Diesel_MAN »

jibb wrote:There is a message on the Adelaide Metro website that "due to a Telstra Communications fault customers may experience difficulties with real-time".
This would explain the rpoblems being experienced by Transit Times.
That's interesting. Good to know that they have identified the issue and are hopefully working to resolve it.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Problem has been fixed its now fully functional again.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Bus 1574 is in a new AOA for Vodafone. Looks quite good as an all-red bus!
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

The BusTech hasn't hit the road yet (not in service anyway), but another new Scania was delivered to Port depot today.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Looks like 1504 has had all it's lower rear lights replaced with LED versions. Tired of replacing blown globes maybe? Upper ones are still the old type. Looks odd.
TT

Post by TT »

1504 has had rear lights like that for about 12 months, like a lot of other 18.280s from Port depot. All done at about the same time.
jibb

Post by jibb »

It appears the upgrade and electrification of the Gawler line has been put back another year as a full business case for the Gawler rail line upgrade will not be handed to the agency essential for Federal funding until next year,again stalling the program Infrastructure Australia(IA) and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development accused the the SA Government of not providing a detailed business case for the Gawler line electrification.
An spokeswoman said the agency had only received an early stage submission on the Gawler line upgrade in September 2015.This was not a full business case submission.The SA Government has indicated it will provide a full business case for the Gawler line upgrade. in the next year.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

"We'll electrify the Gawler Line next year" - SA Government every year.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

MrNicoster wrote:Correction, second to last 591C of the day. (Said friend was me, who went to get a ride on 117, got chatting with a driver, who got to Golden Grove 10 min early for the last 591C with 1820 to replace 117 for the last trip as he was not happy with the performance of it, he called it a break down but didn't seem like it to me...)]
No, there was only 2 other patrons on the service I was on. I can't say for other times of the day as that was my first time using the route.[/quote]

I have taken up temporary residency in Greenwith. I take the first 591A most mornings up Rueben Richardson Drive as I am too lazy to walk, and then transfer to a C2X or 548 on Golden Grove Road.

It is very rare to get any other passengers for the segment I do at that time of day.

The second 591A is full of Golden Grove High kids. It may as well be a school bus. Kids are picked up along every little street the route services.

I caught the last 591A yesterday morning (441 it was, which made a change from the midi's!). That gets used a little.

By the time I get back up to Golden Grove/Greenwith from work, I have missed the last 591C so I cannot comment on patronage.

Though most drivers are either new to driving or have not driven the route before, or so it seems!
jibb

Post by jibb »

Transit Times has a new update(24th March version).
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Another new Scania/CB80 has arrived at Port, registered SB22MP.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:It appears the upgrade and electrification of the Gawler line has been put back another year as a full business case for the Gawler rail line upgrade will not be handed to the agency essential for Federal funding until next year,again stalling the program Infrastructure Australia(IA) and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development accused the the SA Government of not providing a detailed business case for the Gawler line electrification.
An spokeswoman said the agency had only received an early stage submission on the Gawler line upgrade in September 2015.This was not a full business case submission.The SA Government has indicated it will provide a full business case for the Gawler line upgrade. in the next year.
As much as I'd love to see more lines electrified, I have to say it really doesn't make economic sense at this point in time. Probably about half(?) of the current DEMU fleet would be dedicated to the Gawler line and if the line is electrified and new electric trains purchased, what would you do with those large number of DEMU cars that would be left sitting doing nothing in the depot? As long as the DEMUs still have some decent life left in them it doesn't make sense to get rid of them just yet. As maintenance costs increase or their age becomes a real factor only then will new electrics replace them, and the electrification of the line won't precede that by too many years. As for the effects of a partial electrification to either Dry Creek or Salisbury - that may provide some logistical challenges for timetabling, or might be a stepping stone to the DEMU retirements. But all in all, I can't see any electrification work happening on the Gawler line in the next 3-5 years.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the tenders would soon be called for the electrification from Adelaide to Salisbury. This would mean that passengers wishing to travel further would need to change to Diesel trains to complete their journey.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

jibb wrote:The Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the tenders would soon be called for the electrification from Adelaide to Salisbury. This would mean that passengers wishing to travel further would need to change to Diesel trains to complete their journey.
Why would they need to change trains to complete their journey? - Have express diesel services been tabled? Or shortened diesel services?

Just wanting to better understand this observation.
jibb

Post by jibb »

The new Bustech at Port Depot has now been numbered as 1906.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Does this mean that it's a trial bus? Has it taken the place of an SL202?
jibb

Post by jibb »

DTPI are trialling a number of different style/brands of buses to determine which model will be chosen when the current Scania contract expires.
transenthusiast

Post by transenthusiast »

busrider wrote:Another new Scania/CB80 has arrived at Port, registered SB22MP.
To be numbered 1954 I dare say.
TT

Post by TT »

Yep, the latest Scania is now wearing 1954. With the BusTech 1906 as jibb has recorded. And that will mean another two of the 400s will be put out to pasture within the next few days.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Surely 422 must be leaving us soon? With a body date of 4/92 [fleetlists], it has about a week before it reaches 25 years old. I'm surprised it's lasted this long really.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”