• Advertisement

Electric bus trial

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

Electric bus trial

Postby tonyp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 am

Transport Canberra has borrowed the second Yutong E12 Australian demonstrator (unfortunately also with non-standard high floor) for trial in Canberra. (They've already trialled the BYD/Gemilang electric bus.) They've also announced that they will buy no more diesel buses after 2025.

https://www.facebook.com/TransportCanbe ... 464732148/
Last edited by tonyp on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Re: Electric bus trial

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 am

After 2015??? Well past.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby tonyp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am

Fleet Lists wrote:After 2015??? Well past.

Edited, thanks!
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby 1whoknows » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:00 am

This demonstrator is the one from the recent bus show in Melbourne, not the same one that was at Nowra and now in region 6.
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby tonyp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:28 am

Findings of the previous ACT trials:

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data ... ssment.pdf
tonyp

Postby Merc1107 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am

tonyp wrote:They've also announced that they will buy no more diesel buses after 2025.
Is this not a cheeky way of saying, "we might buy some CNG buses if we find electrics aren't suitable for all our operational needs"?

Interesting CNG wasn't included as part of the trial. But then again, this another area where something that seems popular and functional overseas "doesn't work" in Australia. Pity as we have an abundance of the stuff domestically versus stockpiles of fuel supplies that (at best) will last just three weeks in the event something goes pear-shaped in the Middle East.

It was also interesting to read that while there were no concerns about the range or recharge time of an electric during the trial given the scheduling arrangements; they were concerned this would become problematic where buses were expected to run two full shifts back-to-back. If I'm reading the information correctly, their longest shift travels 350km, and the electric's range is 450km (it would also be interesting to know what the average distance of a full shift in Canberra is). The remaining 100km would be barely adequate to cover a second-half of a spread.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby ZIB-585 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 pm

"Leased", not borrowed, with the option to purchase.

Canberra already runs CNG buses - since 2004. The ACT Government is aiming for zero emissions, so new CNG buses will definitely not be purchased.

The last bus tender (RfEOI, but close enough) called for low emissions buses; minimum range requirement was 400km. According to their brochures, Yutong E12 is closer to 250-300km which makes me wonder if they've added batteries to increase the range. The standing capacity has been reduced from 25 to 17 which supports this theory.
Driver of the last bus to use Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009.
ZIB-585

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Postby tonyp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 pm

It's an unfortunate distortion in the trial that diesel buses were found to be more reliable as, traditionally, electric vehicles like trolleybuses and trams, are more reliable (less downtime) than diesel vehicles because they are less complex. It seems, as the report suggests, that there are quality issues with the Chinese-built buses and this is the cause of the reduced reliability. It's a pity they can't trial a European bus, but I suspect they wouldn't find one on the market in RHD. However, I hope they can trial Volgren's offering too, as they are a good body designer and builder.

I note also the drivers' comment about the whining noise from the BYD electric bus. A good electric bus should be quiet on the inside as well as outside, but I have observed previously from using the BYDs at Sydney Airport that they do whine badly - in fact, I remember observing to myself that they were noisier than a diesel! However, the Yutong is way better and the drivers should be pleasantly surprised. Their biggest issue is going to be the weight/passenger capacity equation. The Yutong also has very poor seat pitch - they've obviously tried to fit in as many seats as possible to compensate for the shorter cabin space, but they forget that people have legs.

The other problem is having a high floor at the back of these buses in order to fit more batteries on board.
tonyp

Postby 1whoknows » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:28 am

Despite the misleading hype from the Victorian government, the Volgren offering is simply their body on a Chinese BYD chassis.
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby tonyp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 am

1whoknows wrote:Despite the misleading hype from the Victorian government, the Volgren offering is simply their body on a Chinese BYD chassis.

Yes I'm aware of that, but I would be hopeful that Volgren can do a better job on the body design and internal layout and seat pitch.
tonyp

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Canberra / ACT