Tourists and MyWay Tickets/Past memories

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

witsend
Favourite Vehicle: Dunns Daewoo CS120 No. 31

Tourists and MyWay Tickets/Past memories

Post by witsend »

In April, I am planning to visit Canberra for a couple of days. As I'm from South Australia, i'm accustom to a Daytrip ticket, but visiting the Action website, there is no such thing. The closest i can come to is the capping on the MyWay ticket. Again being unfamiliar, I'm assuming the are readily available. I'm arriving via CountryLink train, so would be looking to get my ticket soon after arrival, unless there are better options.

Does the remaining credit eventually expire, or can it be refunded?
Is there an Action Service to the Canberra Airport or only just the airport shuttle?
Are there night buses up to Black Mountain?

Last time I visited was the late 1990s, and if iirc the fleet was mostly Mercs and Renault rigids, are some of the buses still in service?

Being 14/15 years old at the time, my memory was catching the 51 from Nicholls to Belconnen, and I think was a 300 series bus to City. The interchange at Belconnen was quite long, with a dedicated bus road running out the back past a car park, and the bus actually parked into the island, rather than parallel to the kerb. I don't suppose anyone would have a photo or two of the old interchange.
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts may not be supported or endorsed by any group that I'm associated with, and normally are my own personal view.
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Re: Tourists and MyWay Tickets/Past memories

Post by Sir Pompously »

Hey,

There is a MyWay Cash fare which allows you to purchase a daily ticket. The MyWay Card is available from retailers, however if you are arriving by train you would more than likely not find a retailer nearby selling MyWay cards (unless the countrylink booking office does and I am guessing it doesn't)! The MyWay daily cash fare will be $8 when you arrive, and is only valid on ACTION. Transborder and Deanes services are not part of the MyWay system and they operate on a seperate fare structure, especially upon entering NSW. You can still ride them for a flat cash on route 830 only, between Kingston, Manuka, Barton and Russell for $4.50.

I am unsure, but (from other systems) usually the credit expires on a card in a few years time (however every time you use it the date should change). I am also unsure on if you can hand back you MyWay. Most smartcard systems offer a refund service when you are finished with the card, but looking at the site I cannot find any information regarding that. If getting a myway please remember there are no Add Value Machines, and to add value you must have an auto top up set up or see a retailer with a machine. Bus Drivers are not permitted to top up MyWay cards.

You have two options for the airport, Airport Express operated by the red minibus from West Row ($10), or you may catch ACTION to Brindabella Business Park. ACTION Services do not run early, late or weekends and the Xpresso (peak hour) services only run in one direction. Route 10 is the number to catch and its last service into Brindabella Business Park arrives at 16:25 (departs the City at 15:49). If heading to the airport in the morning there are routes 737 (City), 757 (Gungahlin), 786 (Tuggeranong) and 28 (Woden and Weston Creek) with most services usually arriving after 07:00. Alight at the second stop in Brindabella Business Park (on Brindabella Cct) and walk past the QantasLink Hanger, keep walking until you find a concrete road that leads to the terminal. If you follow that it will take you to a little courtyard with a statue and fountain, the entry at that time should be just past there.

There is no night service to Black Mountain, Mount Ainslie or Red Hill lookouts. A real shame as it misses out on tourists hoping for a night view of the city! Route 81 (981 weekends) runs there but only during the day on School Holidays and Weekends. Check http://www.action.act.gov.au for timetables.

For fleet information please check out our fleet wiki over at ACTBus http://www.actbus.net/fleetwiki/index.p ... et_Summary
Our Mercedes Benz O305 vehicles left the fleet in the 90's and are went into service for various operators around NSW including Deanes in Queanbeyan.

As requested here are some photos of Belconnen Interchange on the farewell tour: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kommissar_ ... 249053567/ and the final service into the interchange before it was boarded up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kommissar_ ... 680853885/

If you have any more questions please ask!
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
witsend

Post by witsend »

Thank you again. I decided to get a myway card given that I'll likely use up almost all the $20 credit anyway. It's effectively prepaid my transport, and covers the problem of getting a fare straight off the countrylink service. I also noted the new 100 route which will be a major benefit for my visit!
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts may not be supported or endorsed by any group that I'm associated with, and normally are my own personal view.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

doubt you'll get a myway card until you hit Civic. There may be a retailer in Kingston shops near the railway station that sells pre-loaded myway card, but I'm not sure about that. You probably should get a single ticket to civic and then get the myway card. could probably check the nearest myway retailer somewhere online, e.g. canberra connect website
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Online is the nearest retailer, as you can buy the card.... online!
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
witsend

Post by witsend »

Got it online.
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”