Direct Japan flights?

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Roderick Smith

Direct Japan flights?

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

Non-stop Perth-Tokyo flights on itinerary for WA tourism officials.
PerthNow Thurs.26.10.17.
DIRECT flights between Perth and Tokyo could generate a $300 million boost to tourism and bring 70,000 more Japanese visitors to WA every year.
Tourism minister Paul Papalia left for Japan last night with chief executives from Tourism WA and Perth Airport to meet with Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways.
Their mission is to persuade the airlines to start a non-stop route from WA to Japan with a daily Boeing 787 service.
“I believe we can double the number of visitors from Japan to 140,000 annually with direct flights,” Mr Papalia said.
Based on Tourism Australia statistics on average spend, an additional 70,000 visitors from Japan would be worth $297 million annually.
International experience shows that direct flights can double or even triple traffic on a route.
“We have a great story with natural attractions and more affordable hotel accommodation on the back of the traditional business connection,” he said.
Mr Papalia said there was also the outbound market of Western Australians visiting Japan, as well as those who want to use Tokyo as a hub for connections to USA.
All Nippon Airways.
Japan Airlines.
The delegation will be assisted in Tokyo by Australia’s ambassador and former WA premier Richard Court.
The Japan push is part of the McGowan Government’s focus on tourism.
“It is essential that we visit Japan and China and reinforce our commitment to tourism and direct flights,” Mr Papalia said.
Qantas withdrew from the Tokyo-Perth route in 2011 because the airline was using the Boeing 767 on route as it was at the limit of its economic range.
Also, Japanese travellers prefer to fly on Japanese airlines.
Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways both have large fleets of the far more capable and economical Boeing 787 which suits the route.
Perth Airport’s new auto-land system will be operational next June for the winter fogs making the operational and payload requirements for the route less restrictive.
Mr Papalia said there was significant cargo potential for the route.
Further out on Mr Papalia’s radar are direct flights from Shanghai with China Eastern, the huge India market as well as more flights from Indonesia.
“My trip will be followed by a visit to Japan by the Premier at the end of next month,” said Mr Papalia.
“Our government is determined to make Perth the alternative gateway to Australia and unlock the state’s huge tourism potential.”
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... bb108206e4
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Direct Japan flights?

Post by boronia »

IIRC, JAL had Perth-Tokyo flights back in the 1980s. Probably only one or two per week.

They only had 3 from Sydney at that time, shared with 3 QF flights on alternate days, except Sunday.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Direct Japan flights?

Post by Merc1107 »

I'd certainly use it - being that I'm the type of person that does things the difficult way. Back in 2015, I traveled to Texas from Perth via Sydney and Narita. Sure, it took a while, but it was leaps and bounds cheaper than Qantas.

If this were introduced - it would allow a more direct routing for those in W.A. looking to travel to the U.S.A., at least in my opinion.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”