Limited stops bus routes in Perth

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

theenglishguy

Re: Limited stops bus routes in Perth

Post by theenglishguy »

goroundandround wrote:Commuters at Kalamunda Bus Station routinely watch a 283 and a 296 leave empty while waiting 5-10 minutes for the limited-stops 295. And, generally, they get to the city sooner.
As a regular Kalamunda commuter the actual reason people in Kalamunda wait for the 295 rather than catching the 296 is because it goes straight down Kalamunda Rd rather than snaking through Gooseberry Hill, Maida Vale and High Wycombe. That saves far more time than missing 5-6 bus stops between Redcliffe and Vic Park.

In fact, if you look at the timetable, the 295 is 2-3 mins quicker than the 296 between Kalamunda bus station and Kalamunda Rd/Abernethy Rd but only 1 min quicker between Redcliffe and Vic Park. Limited stops does mean that the service is more reliable, but even then the real advantage is being able to go straight along Kalamunda Rd (particular as the 296 is very slow through High Wycombe during peak times).

Honestly though, when leaving the city I would just catch whichever bus showed up first. The 296 might be slower, but it would still get to Kalamunda before the 295 service that departed 10 mins later.

The 282 and 283 don't even rate a mention. They are awfully slow and it is painful having to ride the whole length of either route. From Kalamunda to the CBD around 07:15 the 282 takes 82 mins and the 295 takes 69 mins - and whilst the 295 is often early, the 282 is usually late. I feel sorry for people living in Lesmurdie because that really is a shocking journey.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Re: Limited stops bus routes in Perth

Post by Off The Rails »

I've do my fair share of 282/283's recently. They, along with other routes (288, 294, etc) really need a good look in terms of how they run - I mean, Lesmurdie residents have to be at a bus stop by 5:15pm if they want a "night out" in the city (when I mean night out, they need to be at EQBS by 7:45pm... hardly a night out). The hills doesn't help, along with OC's struggling up them.

The other way up the hill, a train to Midland then a 297, is 53 minutes (dependent on train connection), but does require a mode change, and the 297 doesn't operate on weekends.

At a comparison, let's say that you leave work at 4:40pm, and you live close by Kalamunda Bus Stn
Option 1: Walk to Perth Stn, train out to Midland at 4:50pm, and arrive at Midland at 5:12pm. Catch 297 to Kalamunda which leaves at 5:18pm, and arrives at 5:43pm. Time taken from work to Kalamunda: 63mins
Option 2: Walk towards St Georges Terrace, and catch the 295 at around 4:50pm, which arrives at Kalamunda at 5:47pm. Time taken from work to Kalamunda: 67mins
Option 3: Walk towards St Georges Terrace, and catch the 296 at around 5pm, which arrives at Kalamunda at 6:09pm. Time taken from work to Kalamunda: 89mins
Option 4: Walk towards St Georges Terrace, and catch the 282 at around 4:55pm, which arrives at Kalamunda at 6:02pm. Time taken from work to Kalamunda: 82mins
Option 5: Walk towards St Georges Terrace, and catch the 283 at around 5:05pm, which arrives at Kalamunda at 6:11pm. Time taken from work to Kalamunda: 91mins
Option 6 (if you're desperate): Walk towards St Georges Terrace, and catch the 299 at around 5:50pm, which arrives at Kalamunda at 6:38pm. Time taken from work to Kalamunda: 118mins

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”