WA Labor promises Metronet, again

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Zidanehartono

Re: WA Labor promises Metronet, again

Post by Zidanehartono »

From the Chris Tallentire 20 April 2016 Issue

Thornlie Line Extension
WA Labor will build METRONET,an integrated and coordinated transport plan and connect to our suburbs and fix congestion on our local roads such as Garden Street.The plan includes building the new Thornlie Line,joining the Mandurah Line and Armadale Line.The Thornlie Line will be the start of METRONET Circle Line,allowing east-west travel and creating a true transport network.
Fixing Dangerous Level Crossings (Have your say at maddington.metronet.net.au about what do you think is the best way to do it?)
WA Labor's Metronet plan includes fixing dangerous level crossings on the Armadale Line.Dr Bill Leadbetter,WA Labor's Candidate for the federal seat of Hasluck,is concerned about the Kelvin Road level crossing,calling it "an accident waiting to happen." Bus stops,traffic lights and impatient drivers make this level crossing a priority to be fixed.What do you think is the best way to do it?
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

With the election result now known it could be worth saving various versions of Metronet in case they are removed from websites.

Metronet 2013 https://www.markmcgowan.com.au/files/He ... -small.pdf

From Bill Shorten 2016 http://www.100positivepolicies.org.au/p ... fact_sheet

Metronet 2017 https://www.markmcgowan.com.au/METRONET
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

So what do the country areas of WA get?

What is the WA Labor's stance on the proposed light rail line(s)?

Should have a rail service from Perth to Geraldton again, plus maybe Kalgoorlie to Esperance.
Re-extending the rail line to Bunbury centre (if possible).

Instead of a railway line from the Armadale to Rockingham I think it was, go from Fremantle to Rockingham, and just build a suitable junction. Most of the rail line (including dual gauge) is still there isn't, and with concrete sleepers? If that's the case, surely that wouldn't cost much.

Rail line & rail service from Fremantle to Perth Airport = questionable.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:So what do the country areas of WA get?

Should have a rail service from Perth to Geraldton again, plus maybe Kalgoorlie to Esperance.
Re-extending the rail line to Bunbury centre (if possible).

Instead of a railway line from the Armadale to Rockingham I think it was, go from Fremantle to Rockingham, and just build a suitable junction. Most of the rail line (including dual gauge) is still there isn't, and with concrete sleepers? If that's the case, surely that wouldn't cost much.
Problem with Perth-Geraldton is there's no major population centres in between. Inland ones aren't growing. Those on the coast are difficult to serve with a direct rail without detours or messy feeder buses. A more frequent express coach service is about the best that could reasonably be hoped for.

There could however be a more intensive service (say hourly) to the Swan Valley and Northam with 7-day service to allow easy day and work travel in both directions. There may be potential for a Park & Ride for Commuters if service is good enough.

Instead of reopening Geraldton (or Albany) passenger rail, my priority would be on a major upgrade of Bunbury services with an extension into the city centre and ideally also to Busselton. Similar to the regional lines in Victoria trains would run at least hourly throughout the day from 6am to 11pm. The Bunbury area has sufficient population to justify much more than currently operates.

Connecting coaches could run from Margaret River and Dunsborough to Busselton via West Busselton and from Collie and Manjimup to Bunbury. These would be every 2 hours, with shorter busier routes (eg Dunsborough and Margaret River) every hour especially during tourist season. 3 to 4 trips per day could extend to Augusta and maybe two to Albany. As much as it would be nice for some Collie services to extend across to Wagin, Narrogin or Katanning (ideally connecting with Albany and Northam services) I doubt patronage would justify much of a service.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Re-extending the rail line to Bunbury centre (if possible).
It was Labor who proposed scrapping the Australind service, not improving it!
Newcastle Flyer wrote:What is the WA Labor's stance on the proposed light rail line(s)?
In future, I think there are light-rail proposals for several areas. I certainly haven't heard anything for months on Light-Rail, since Barnett scrapped the plans of "MAX Light Rail." Ellenbrook really isn't big enough for such a service yet, nor should we really be encouraging such an urban sprawl by putting the facilities there. There are suburbs (particularly between Thornlie and Cockburn) whose population would certainly justify the duplication of the freight line to allow through-service from Cockburn Central to Thornlie. By the way, I don't think there is any intention of utilising freight lines for passenger services in Perth. Aside from a brief section of the Fremantle line, the entire passenger network is separate from the freight and this reduces the chance of disruption - for both passengers AND freight.
Newcastle Flyer wrote:Rail line & rail service from Fremantle to Perth Airport = questionable.
This one is already going ahead, and is dubbed the "Forrestfield Line," a spur from the Midland line.
Newcastle Flyer wrote:Instead of a railway line from the Armadale to Rockingham I think it was, go from Fremantle to Rockingham, and just build a suitable junction. Most of the rail line (including dual gauge) is still there isn't, and with concrete sleepers? If that's the case, surely that wouldn't cost much.
Per my previous blurb - without duplicating the line there would be conflict with freight traffic. I was not aware that Labor's Metronet proposed connecting the Armadale and Mandurah lines as far south as Rockingham. My understanding was Fremantle would be connected to Thornlie via Cockburn Central (with duplication of freight lines between the two).

I'd like to request that any posters here living in W.A. who want their views better-represented to write a letter (either typed or handwritten, the latter is preferable) to your local MLA. You may also wish to write to your Federal and Council representatives, depending on the issue. Politicians like to know what their voters think.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Newcastle Flyer wrote: Rail line & rail service from Fremantle to Perth Airport = questionable.
Perth airport is the lifeline to the rest of the country in a way that none of the other major airports are. After all, not too many people get to and from Perth by train, car or ship.

And with a regular "commute" between the airport and Fremantle my only personal interest question is how soon it can open! Bus takes a long time and taxi is expensive.

I do wonder though why there isn't a bus link between T3/T4 and the nearest station on the Midland line, would be so much easier and quicker than just going to Victoria Park or Elizabeth Quay and having to interchange again.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

tonyp wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote: Rail line & rail service from Fremantle to Perth Airport = questionable.
Perth airport is the lifeline to the rest of the country in a way that none of the other major airports are. After all, not too many people get to and from Perth by train, car or ship.

And with a regular "commute" between the airport and Fremantle my only personal interest question is how soon it can open! Bus takes a long time and taxi is expensive.

I do wonder though why there isn't a bus link between T3/T4 and the nearest station on the Midland line, would be so much easier and quicker than just going to Victoria Park or Elizabeth Quay and having to interchange again.
actually before when 348 still in service i was suggested that 348 should extend from Bayswater stn to Perth Airport T3 and T4. and i alreasy send feedback but they say not going to happen
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

tonyp wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote:
Was there ever an intention for the Circle route to go via the Airport when it was planned in the late '90s?

This would slow travel from Curtin Uni - Morley but would provide a direct airport service from both the southern and north east suburbs.

There would also be train connections on the Armadale and Midland lines.

Having said that it's possible to change from the 37 to the Circle route at Belmont Forum so maybe it was figured that would be adequate.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

I remember in 1997 there was some discussion about the Circle Route being routed via the airport. The increase in journey time probably killed it, and the opportunity for interchange at Belmont Forum (although back then it was to the 200/1/2/8/9).
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

I was working at Karrinyup when the Circle Route went full circle (no pun) in September 1999. I recall asking the same question and the reply being it would make the journey too long and introduce unacceptable delays. It had been running successfully between Fremantle and Oats St for almost a year at that point.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The "System 21" map from back then indicated the CircleRoute as travelling via the Domestic Airport: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 21#p909843. Obviously it didn't eventuate in that form.

The current situation of transferring at Hardey Rd (40 or 935) for CircleRoute or at Belmont Forum (380 or 935) works ok for what it is. Despite geographically being closer, connectivity to the Midland Line or any of the north east corridor from the airport precinct takes significantly longer (up to 3x as long) by public transport compared with by car. That'll certainly change in 2020 when the journey from Belmont Station (near T3/T4) to Bayswater will only be 4 mins or 7 mins from T1/T2!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/new ... 26830a5946
The federal government has agreed to redirect money it had put up for the now-axed Perth Freight Link to the West Australian government's preferred project - the Metronet.

The two governments have struck a $2.3 billion agreement, including an extra $400 million, in funding to be included in Tuesday's budget for 17 road and rail projects that will create 6000 new jobs.

A combined $1.2 billion will be allocated towards the Perth Metronet rail project.

Now premier Mark McGowan had made dumping the Perth Freight Link in favour of the Metronet a key policy ahead of the March election campaign which Labor won decisively.

Until now the federal government, including Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, had publicly baulked at reallocating the funds.

"There is no business case - they have got a way to go," Mr Turnbull said on March 20, nine days after the state election left the Liberal party with just 13 seats in the 59-seat parliament.

But on Sunday, Mr Turnbull said the decision to redirect the funds acknowledged the WA government's priorities.

"In particular, the state government's Metronet initiative fits in well with my government's Smart Cities agenda, and we will continue to work with the premier and his team to help make it happen," he said in a joint statement with Mr McGowan.

But the federal government isn't giving up on the Perth Freight Link.

"We still believe Perth Freight Link is important, we believe it will need to be built at some stage, because of its capacity to reduce congestion in the suburbs of Perth," Infrastructure Minister Darren Chester told ABC TV on Sunday.

"But we have to be pragmatic, have to work with the government of the day, you have to play with the cards you are dealt with."

Federal Finance Minister Mathias Cormann told the paper that he still believed the freight link was "critically important" to WA, but the government was being pragmatic.

Funding for the Metronet rail network was one of the top two items on the new WA Labor government's federal budget wishlist.

The other is cold, hard cash to compensate for getting the lowest share of GST.

The contentious GST distribution issue will be the subject of a new Productivity Commission inquiry.

WA's share is 34 cents for every dollar raised this year compared to about or above the 100 cent mark for the rest of the country, with Victoria and NSW around 90 cents.
Which are the 17 projects specifically?
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

WA Labor promises Metronet, again

Post by TP1462 »

tonyp wrote:http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/new ... 26830a5946
The federal government has agreed to redirect money it had put up for the now-axed Perth Freight Link to the West Australian government's preferred project - the Metronet.

The two governments have struck a $2.3 billion agreement, including an extra $400 million, in funding to be included in Tuesday's budget for 17 road and rail projects that will create 6000 new jobs.

A combined $1.2 billion will be allocated towards the Perth Metronet rail project.

Now premier Mark McGowan had made dumping the Perth Freight Link in favour of the Metronet a key policy ahead of the March election campaign which Labor won decisively.

Until now the federal government, including Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, had publicly baulked at reallocating the funds.

"There is no business case - they have got a way to go," Mr Turnbull said on March 20, nine days after the state election left the Liberal party with just 13 seats in the 59-seat parliament.

But on Sunday, Mr Turnbull said the decision to redirect the funds acknowledged the WA government's priorities.

"In particular, the state government's Metronet initiative fits in well with my government's Smart Cities agenda, and we will continue to work with the premier and his team to help make it happen," he said in a joint statement with Mr McGowan.

But the federal government isn't giving up on the Perth Freight Link.

"We still believe Perth Freight Link is important, we believe it will need to be built at some stage, because of its capacity to reduce congestion in the suburbs of Perth," Infrastructure Minister Darren Chester told ABC TV on Sunday.

"But we have to be pragmatic, have to work with the government of the day, you have to play with the cards you are dealt with."

Federal Finance Minister Mathias Cormann told the paper that he still believed the freight link was "critically important" to WA, but the government was being pragmatic.

Funding for the Metronet rail network was one of the top two items on the new WA Labor government's federal budget wishlist.

The other is cold, hard cash to compensate for getting the lowest share of GST.

The contentious GST distribution issue will be the subject of a new Productivity Commission inquiry.

WA's share is 34 cents for every dollar raised this year compared to about or above the 100 cent mark for the rest of the country, with Victoria and NSW around 90 cents.
Which are the 17 projects specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/landm ... vzoiy.html
Last edited by TP1462 on Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There are no rail projects there??
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

tonyp wrote:There are no rail projects there??
$700 million for the extension of the Thornlie line to Cockburn and the extension of the Joondalup line to Yanchep

simonl

Post by simonl »

Isn't the airport line supposed to be in there too?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

simonl wrote:Isn't the airport line supposed to be in there too?
It's an existing project.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

$1.2b out of the $2.3b is for Metronet, which is all predominantly rail associated. Airport Line funding is not a part of it, but should be fully funded.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

While I imagine details on the specifics of the road projects are yet to be finalised, based on many of the previous projects, hopefully some bus priority is included as part of the works where needed. The likes of recent Reid Hwy / Malaga Dr, Reid Hwy / Alexander Dr grade separations had bus jump-queue lanes included.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Mr OC Benz wrote:$1.2b out of the $2.3b is for Metronet, which is all predominantly rail associated. Airport Line funding is not a part of it, but should be fully funded.
Yes the airport line is fully funded, Canberra allocated $500 million in the 2016 federal budget to the project

TRS-80

Post by TRS-80 »

Also the Denny ave level crossing removal

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth ... wcpev.html

A "city deal" whatever that is

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”