• Advertisement

Next generation railcars for Transperth

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Re: Next generation railcars for Transperth

Postby tonyp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 am

I note that they say "up to" four doors per car, so they apparently haven't fully decided on this.

At four doors, which is more typical of a metro rather than suburban train, it starts becoming a challenge to seating capacity. I'd say that it's only thanks to Perth's super-fast journey times that they could sustain an argument for such a high door ratio. At least the dwell times will be like lightning, but they could still get a good improvement out of three doors.

Next step along these lines should be fully low-floor buses with more doors for the busiest services!
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby TP1462 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 am

tonyp wrote:I note that they say "up to" four doors per car, so they apparently haven't fully decided on this.

At four doors, which is more typical of a metro rather than suburban train, it starts becoming a challenge to seating capacity. I'd say that it's only thanks to Perth's super-fast journey times that they could sustain an argument for such a high door ratio. At least the dwell times will be like lightning, but they could still get a good improvement out of three doors.

Next step along these lines should be fully low-floor buses with more doors for the busiest services!

the 4 doors per carriage was something that was pointed out by the previous government before they deferred the project it seems as though the new labor government are just re-initiating the project and working with all planning that PTA has done thus far, seating capacity is really a non issue as part of the transport plan includes for automatic train control which will allow for trains to run closer together, the C series will be ideal for special events to and from the new stadium and the B series are due for a "midlife' refurb and apart of that plan includes to reconfigure the seating mainly for heritage line work and bench seating does seem to be preferred by PTA
TP1462

Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Postby tonyp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 am

It looks like they've settled on 3 doors per side per car:

Probably adequate for Perth. Four doors would be more the thing for the likes of the Sydney metro, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes with three doors.

The above document was on Facebook but I can't find the original source of the whole document.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Merc1107 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:14 am

Great to see they're looking for speeds of "at least" 130km/h.
With the distance from north to south increasing, some modest bumps in average speed would be a good way to entice more patrons, particularly off peak where congestion isn't such an issue (except Cockburn's notorious bottleneck).
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby busdriver12 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm

tonyp wrote:
The above document was on Facebook but I can't find the original source of the whole document.

You'll find it here (as a pdf) which is at the bottom of this page

HTH
Phil

My timetable info can be found here Current as at 26/5/19.
Current route/contract info can be found here

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
busdriver12

Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Postby the c man » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Bombardier have won the contract to build the new csets trains
the c man

Postby TP1462 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:04 pm

the c man wrote:Bombardier have won the contract to build the new csets trains

Not quite if you’re referring to the link on their website it’s strictly a place holder which is purely for their investors and all information regarding the B series has been removed from that website link having said all of that it still requires the minister and PTA to formally announce it, it was more than likely always going to be Downer Bombardier JV straight from the outset they have the best experience with the previous 2 fleets and best knowledge of the local supply chain which gives them a big leg up over the other proponents especially when it comes to the 50% local content quota

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
TP1462

Postby TP1462 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:30 pm

The contract has surprisingly been awarded to ALSTOM people will have their own opinions on the design, due to size restrictions on this website I can’t upload an image of the artists impression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Postby Bus Suggestions » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Not the result I was hoping for after 5 years of anticipation. Was expecting either something similar to Brisbane's new NGR trains or the Adelaide A-City 4000-Class EMUs. Too bulky for my liking.
Transperth: The Best Privatisation Model
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxgB_b5NiVAiHE3M7AnDrnA
Bus Suggestions

Favourite Vehicle: Transperth 'Oddballs'

Postby PoweredByCNG » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Bus Suggestions wrote:Not the result I was hoping for after 5 years of anticipation. Was expecting either something similar to Brisbane's new NGR trains or the Adelaide A-City 4000-Class EMUs. Too bulky for my liking.

This was the result I expected after the debacles experienced with QLD's latest acquisitions.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042, ex-Transperth 1114 and ex-STA Adelaide 1549.
PoweredByCNG

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Postby TP1462 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Looks to be a modified version of the existing X’trap fleet that’s already running in Melbourne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TP1462

Postby TP1462 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:25 pm

It’ll be interesting which version of the Coradia PTA decide on for the Australind replacement giving they now have access to different propulsion methods outside of diesel including dual mode, steam and fuel cell hydrogen iLint that’s currently operating out of Germany the potential for more environmentally friendly cleaner solutions is there now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Perth / WA