• Advertisement

Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Re: Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Postby busdriver12 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:26 pm

TP1462 wrote:The 220 between Armadale & Cannington is also duplicated by the train it has very low weekend patronage the recent weekend withdrawal of the 249 reflects this and a lot of people either live within walking distance of the train station or have their own private vehicle and those travelling to the hospital usually get either an Uber a maxi taxi or relatives to do drop off or pick up due to limited parking and those living in Roleystone or the foot hills usually drive or get the 241

The main selling point for the 220/249 is access to Armadale Hospital. I think you'd have a hard time convincing someone using a zimmer frame they're better off walking from Sherwood station up the hill to the hospital.
Phil

My timetable info can be found here Current as at 26/5/19.
Current route/contract info can be found here

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
busdriver12

Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Postby 1whoknows » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

If I were in charge I would direct the production of an actual printed route map for the Perth system. This is the great missing element in how to get around as journey planners give no real concept of options, particularly for cross country journeys.
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby Off The Rails » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 pm

The closest we have to that is the network maps, which are 10 maps showing every route service on that map. There isn't one which has every route on it, from memory.

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Journe ... twork-Maps

Cheers! :wink:
Part of a 8 person trek to Mongolia, during July 2016.
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Off The Rails

Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Postby Leyland B21 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm

busdriver12 wrote:
TP1462 wrote:The 220 between Armadale & Cannington is also duplicated by the train it has very low weekend patronage the recent weekend withdrawal of the 249 reflects this and a lot of people either live within walking distance of the train station or have their own private vehicle and those travelling to the hospital usually get either an Uber a maxi taxi or relatives to do drop off or pick up due to limited parking and those living in Roleystone or the foot hills usually drive or get the 241

The main selling point for the 220/249 is access to Armadale Hospital. I think you'd have a hard time convincing someone using a zimmer frame they're better off walking from Sherwood station up the hill to the hospital.
Having lived on Albany Hwy a couple of houses down from Galliers Ave for the first 20yrs of my life, agreed the hill is a bit of a climb. I lived opposite Carawatha Avenue so if you lived on that stretch of road, walking from Sherwood Station was a task. I'm curious though. Former route 219 had great loadings between Armadale and Kelmscott let alone the bulk of the route and more frequent services. Last bus would leave Perth at 11.30pm. Sad to hear that it's not performing now as route 220 but my ideology is if you provide services, ppl use them. Take away services ppl will use the car.

Also take into account the loadings were good without the hospital back then as the hospital was nothing more than an emergency ward and a clinic whilst I lived there

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Leyland B21

Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Postby Merc1107 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Leyland B21 wrote:I'm curious though. Former route 219 had great loadings between Armadale and Kelmscott let alone the bulk of the route and more frequent services. Last bus would leave Perth at 11.30pm. Sad to hear that it's not performing now as route 220 but my ideology is if you provide services, ppl use them. Take away services ppl will use the car.
At the risk of sending the thread off-topic, if patronage is falling, I have to wonder if it is due to changing demographics and transport options in the area? Perhaps more people in the area can now afford to run a car (as the outer suburbs are rapidly becoming what is most affordable for middle-income earners), or have better access to transport in some other way.
I'm not sure how the frequency of the Armadale line has evolved over time, but that might play a part in the bus slowly loosing favour.

Leyland B21 wrote:my ideology is if you provide services, ppl use them. Take away services ppl will use the car.
Agreed. Moving back towards the topic, in relation to bus routes, if I were in charge, I'd engage in a massive advertisement campaign to highlight to specific suburbs the travel options available to them, particularly feeders or mainline routes and the various connectivity options they provide. The average Perthite who chooses to use their car and not the bus probably hasn't the slightest clue about service in their area, and would likely make use of public transport with some gentle persuasion... Many suburbs (particularly around Bull Creek, Murdoch & Cockburn) have between 2-5 services with peak frequencies of at least 15mins.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby Squiddy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am

Completely agree. I think this is more important now than ever, with the high-frequency services like 950, 960 and 970 offering fairly competitive travel times compared to driving and offering a route and frequency more like a train service than a bus. But I'd wager the average person who drives everywhere wouldn't have a clue that these services exist and would likely still assume buses took long winding routes around the suburbs, taking 30min to cover what a car can do in 10. I'd also like to see them bring back the 'high frequency' livery that adorned some of the earlier Merc O405NHs, I reckon decorating a few buses like that (especially the six new artics 3096-99, 3100-02, which were primarily delivered to run 950s) could work wonders.
Currently working on my bus photography site where I'm aiming to photograph every Transperth bus in Perth - have (almost) everything!

Check out https://squiddysbuses.com/ !!! :D
Squiddy

Favourite Vehicle: Anything with new bus smell!!

Postby pasha241 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me. i think the way that 220 could have more benefit is to make it Limited Stops. It can have limited stops lets say from After Albany hwy / shepperton rd interection to kelmscott. Maybe it will make people want to travel 220 from area around Albany Hwy (Cannington to bentley) to city rather than use 930 because it is all stops.
list of my photo taken you can be found at https://busenthusiastic.wordpress.com/
my youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCdKn ... OUqcedvUdg
pasha241

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Perth / WA