Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

BusSpotter97
Favourite Vehicle: ICE3,Dostos,C Wagens R3.3,

Re: Bus Routes - What would you do if you were in charge?

Post by BusSpotter97 »

After having a closer look, I like the idea of Darch modification, however my idea would be to combine the 372 and your proposed 452/352 together and run the service from Mirrabooka to Whitfords via Darch, not only providing another crosstown link, but also giving more options for residents in between. I'd then extend the 450 to Warrahdale Tce, however via the opposite end so 90% of the time, buses do not need to chuck a u-turn. Then basically the 450 and 376 can operate combined so that a 376F would change into a 450T etc.... Then give both routes to one operator, probably Path as the focus of this is on Landsdale which lies within Path's boundary. It would use resources more efficiency having it with the one operator.

So basically we'd end up with modified routes 372 (Whitfords to Mirrabooka) and 450 (extension via east Warrahdale Tce)

If it wasn't for the fact Greenwood wasn't designed as a bus interchange, I'd have all buses extend from Kingsway, but because they're not, this is my idea, to extend the 365 from Kingsway to Greenwood and replace that 451. It'd make better use of what may end up as a not so utilized route. Being able to operate a service even without anyone on most of the time is better than any sort of dead running.[/quote]

I agree with combing the 452 and 372 via Everdale Road, with short-workings in the peak periods. (You don't need a bus every 10 Minutes from Whitfords to Darch in the morning peak)

The issue with running the 450 east is that the population of Landsdale is generally shifted to the west but I could imagine the service continuing along Warrahdale Tce, then turning left into The Broadview before joining the route to Warwick/Mirabooka again. The 376 Could run clock-wise and the 450 anti-clockwise. The times would have to be changed to a max. 3 Minute break at the terminus where the PAX stay seated (Like the BLUE CAT at the Busport).

I personally believe there is still a need for the 451 to be extended east of Kingsway to serve the growing communities between Hepburn Ave and Kingsway and the proposed development (s) east of Landsdale.

I agree that the decision to make Greenwood a pure train station was a BIG mistake but when looking at near map I can see how easy it would be to convert the loop into a bus interchange by simply moving the 9am Bays (14) to the first row of standard parking (16 bays). I am sure that 16 commuters will prefer to catch a bus instead of take the car if they don't have to travel all the way to Warwick.

The station has huge bus potential and as a ex-Hillarys resident I know many people who are annoyed at having to take a winding bus all the way to Warwick. The 444 and 445 for example traverse just 500m from the station. (Same story with 473 and Currumbine.)
On weekends, half the PAX on the 456 are often Sorrento and Duncraig residents.

I'll draw up some plans and post them later.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51083932@N08/sets/
Transperth and now German and Austrian Trains!!!
Now Living In Munich
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

^^ Thats why there is now the 451...
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

In light of the recent announcement here
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... ongestion/
about the introduction of a Green CAT service (and the fact that the government has not yet released details of the service), I propose the following suggested route for such a service:
Start with a stop outside Leederville Station on Southport Street, then down Southport, Railway Parade, Sunderland Street through the Subway, Wellington Street, Havelock Street, Kings Park Road, Malcolm Street, St Georges Terrace, Mill Street to Esplanade Station. Then the same again in reverse back to Leederville.

Anyone else want to suggest where this new Green CAT could/should run?
BusSpotter97

Post by BusSpotter97 »

Finally someone has figured out that Leederville is closer to West Perth then congested PUG.

The 2 questions that arise are-
Will this mean the death of the 5

And will Joondalup trains stop all stations in a years time, because only Glendalough, Striling, Warwick and Whitfords are linked to Leederville in Peak at the moment.

Hopefully when the new cars arrive the annoying and delay-creating stopping patters will be abandoned and we will instead see a 3.3 min frequency

10 Min Butler/Clarkson-Mandruah (6Car)
10Min Joondalup-Rockingham (4/6 Car)
10Min Whitfords-Cockburn (3/4 Car)
Now Living In Munich
route171
Favourite Vehicle: Renaults, M 0405, M 0305G

Post by route171 »

plant-ender wrote: I simply think that trains should run at 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400 & 0500, and in BOTH directions. Buswell's weak answer that they are trying to get people out of the city and not in is simply BS. People live in the city or near to it as well and need to return from Fremantle etc.
We are really so backward with public transport in this place. We are "booming" at a net migration rate of around 800-1000 people per week and Transperth don't want to get their trains dirty.
Yes, I agree, we need to see a de-centralisation of train and bus services. Not everyone travels to/from the city at a given time.
Silver things overwhelming the Canning contract area..
900 series

Post by 900 series »

jonwil wrote:In light of the recent announcement here
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... ongestion/
about the introduction of a Green CAT service (and the fact that the government has not yet released details of the service), I propose the following suggested route for such a service:
Start with a stop outside Leederville Station on Southport Street, then down Southport, Railway Parade, Sunderland Street through the Subway, Wellington Street, Havelock Street, Kings Park Road, Malcolm Street, St Georges Terrace, Mill Street to Esplanade Station. Then the same again in reverse back to Leederville.

Anyone else want to suggest where this new Green CAT could/should run?
The Worst Australian has it looping round the waterfront and up Barrack Street. (Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... -schedule/)

Also the irony of a user named Cat commenting on the introduction of a new Cat bus is not lost on me...
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

Cat wrote: The Worst Australian has it looping round the waterfront and up Barrack Street.
Surely, Gillard would have nothing to do with this arrangement?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

There was actually a map with the new plan on Ch 7 News, hopefully someone may have captured that, or at least the map may be available later.

I'm interested as to where the extra buses will come from for the extra Red CAT services starting in July.
Q4004
Favourite Vehicle: TP's 1149 1511 1521 1559 1565
Location: Swan Transit Beckenham/Canning Vale Contract Area (Thornlie) and Claisebrook Depot

Post by Q4004 »

plant-ender wrote:Amazing, relatively, what is considered a failure on a bus as opposed to a train. Only 300 people used the 0400 Friday train over all lines, an average of 50-60 on each line....HARDLY A FAILURE!
How many services run around the city and suburbs with less than 10 passengers at any given time between 1900 and 2400 hrs on a daily basis?

And why not charge for it to help make it more viable? I don't believe it is unreasonable when you consider the alternative is an expensive taxi fare (flag fall alone more expensive than a train ticket).
Drive past the Murray St entrance to Perth Underground (and Esplanade) and see how many stragglers are waiting for the gates to open for the first train to Mandurah. There are a lot so it is justified and should come under the CSO that currently provides services outside "peak" conditions.

Adelaide, smaller than Perth, has a better all-night service.

I simply think that trains should run at 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400 & 0500, and in BOTH directions. Buswell's weak answer that they are trying to get people out of the city and not in is simply BS. People live in the city or near to it as well and need to return from Fremantle etc.
We are really so backward with public transport in this place. We are "booming" at a net migration rate of around 800-1000 people per week and Transperth don't want to get their trains dirty.
Good luck with those trains, the friday 4am services are being removed, Friday 27th April will be the last 4am services out of Perth on all lines except Thornlie Line. The Saturday 4am services will continue to run

In regards to the Green Cat. Im also interested to see what buses will be put on that seeing most of SCT SWB OC's are already at Claisebrook Depot.
Mercedes Diesel less again :(
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Turns out there'll be three extra buses for the Red CAT this July.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Plenty of choices seeing as though several OC's were taken out of route service and turned into cats last time, nothing stopping them just doing the same thing to 3 more eh?
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
perthbus

Post by perthbus »

ADX666 wrote:Plenty of choices seeing as though several OC's were taken out of route service and turned into cats last time, nothing stopping them just doing the same thing to 3 more eh?
My guess is 1919 and maybe some common sense will prevail and they'll grab something like 1908 and 09 and use these solely for the Yellows, which have no issues with tight turns.
900 series

Post by 900 series »

With regards to that Inner Circle Route a couple of pages back:
PT Masterplan 2031 wrote:an inner “circle route” is needed in the long term to link Glendalough on the Joondalup line with Canning Bridge on the Mandurah line, and Subiaco and UWA/QE11 before entering the City from the east via Curtin/Bentley at Victoria Park.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

perthbus wrote:
ADX666 wrote:Plenty of choices seeing as though several OC's were taken out of route service and turned into cats last time, nothing stopping them just doing the same thing to 3 more eh?
My guess is 1919 and maybe some common sense will prevail and they'll grab something like 1908 and 09 and use these solely for the Yellows, which have no issues with tight turns.
If they can operate LWB on 004's, surely it shouldn't be a problem operating on West Perth loops, but the whole Red CAT doesn't seem to difficult anyway...
BusSpotter97

Post by BusSpotter97 »

I've seen artic's on 4's and the Yellow should be fine in LWB's too.
Now Living In Munich
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

Cat wrote:With regards to that Inner Circle Route a couple of pages back:
PT Masterplan 2031 wrote:an inner “circle route” is needed in the long term to link Glendalough on the Joondalup line with Canning Bridge on the Mandurah line, and Subiaco and UWA/QE11 before entering the City from the east via Curtin/Bentley at Victoria Park.
Thats very interesting considering TP told these people that it is not needed, you should post that on their facebook page...
trainman12
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes bus

Post by trainman12 »

Ill so route 558 rockingham station to warnbro through to mandurah
900 series

Post by 900 series »

trainman12 wrote:Ill so route 558 rockingham station to warnbro through to mandurah
Isn't that what it already does?
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

I think he means via the foreshore?

If he does, I would concur.
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Mr OC Benz wrote:There was actually a map with the new plan on Ch 7 News, hopefully someone may have captured that, or at least the map may be available later.

I'm interested as to where the extra buses will come from for the extra Red CAT services starting in July.
Not sure if it's the same map, but I found something in page 21 of this PDF.

Interesting that it's not the same as what The West Australian reckoned.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Yep that's it, I've attached it to here too.
Perth CAT.jpg
Perth CAT.jpg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 9259 times
Bus Fanatic

Post by Bus Fanatic »

Mr OC Benz- I believe that two Midis from Southern River will be joining the CAT Fleet at some stage in the near future and these will be replaced with two long wheelbase OC500 from another Depot following delivery of Volvo Buses.
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

I dont understand why they are getting rid of the bus lanes on Barrack Street and putting some on William street when they are putting bus lanes all the way down Beaufort street? Doesnt it make sense to continue these lanes all the way down Barrack? FFS! But nice Green CAT! Wonder if they could make a Green CAT "Special" to go to Kings Park?
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I think you misunderstood it, the way I read it, the Barrack St bus lane will be there, but more defined as a bus priority right up and along Beaufort St.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Would a bus route work from Byford to Rockingham?
If possible, this route (no. 564) would run from Byford Stn, R Soldiers rd, L Abernethy rd, R Thatcher rd, R Thatcher rd (It connects to Binshaw rd), L Larsen rd, R Briggs rd, L Thomas rd, L Gilmore ave to Kwinana Hub BS, R back onto Gilmore ave, L Thomas rd, L Rockingham rd, then the rest of the way (following the 920 route) to Rockingham Stn.
Times are: 1 hour all day on weekdays, 2 hours on weekends. Run is done by SCT.

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”