98 confused with 906 rail replacement

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

98 confused with 906 rail replacement

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Whenever the Fremantle line closes, I go to Fremantle by Circleroute if possible, to avoid being crammed into one linc bus (used to replace a 4-car train) which doesn't depart Fremantle Interchange until it is completely full.

On Sunday 11.02.07 the Route 98 ex Fremantle at 1640 hours was hailed at almost every stop that it shares with Route 906 (and some that it doesn't share) along Stirling Highway by people wanting to know if it was the rail-replacement bus!!

This didn't happen when the rail replacement buses were numbered 606.

Did this trip just happen to strike a higher than average number of passengers with lower than average numeracy skills, or are these new route numbers (904, 905, 906, 907) more confusing than the old 404, 505, 606, 707 because there are also routes 95, 97, 98 and 99 (which are sometimes displayed as 095, 097, 098 and 099, although not in the case of the bus I was on) and, of course, Route 920.

All the stops shared by 98 and 906 had the new rail replacement numbers in large white letters on a red background, and STILL they got it wrong and slowed us down by at least 5 minutes between Fremantle and Claremont!

<smarTTrams> ... coming ... <smarTTrams> ... going ...<smarTTrams>
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Perhaps this situation is exacerbated by destination displays not being built on an angle that deters reflection? For example...

... might be OK for a regular who knows what they're looking for, but for an ad hoc service ...?
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Good point, Herbert, and well illustrated!

<smarTTrams>
z80

Post by z80 »

The rail stops should be in different locations with different bus stop polls.
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Post by J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) »

I noticed whilst at Perth in november that some of the bus stops at train station interchanges meant diddly squat, i.e. cannington where the train sub stop is way down the interchange a fair distance, i waited there but most of the passengers wait at the escalators for the station and that is where the maxi taxi picks up and sets down, why not just put the sub bus sign there, that is where everyone waits XD
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
z80

Post by z80 »

Actually I have a better idea. How about we teach people to read.

I love watching people get on my bus when I have LAST STOP in big writing on, and they all race to get on. I have learnt that it's better to just let everyone on then stand up and explain that this bus terminates here. If I try to close the doors then they try to smash them down by hitting them or punching them and getting aggressive.
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

z80 wrote:Actually I have a better idea. How about we teach people to read.
Bus desto: PERTH, WELLINGTON ST, 220, WSBS
Passenger: Does this bus go to the busport?

It's a bit like when you're driving a truck and you have 'GOLDEN EGGS' emblazoned on your sides and doors and you will still get the odd king ding-a-ling that'll ask ya "Wotcha carrying driver?" and then you'll reply in a gruff tone "Beetroot!" :evil:

Cheers!
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!
z80

Post by z80 »

I was doing a 102F to Cottelsoe with the large COTTESLOE display set, and a customer stopped the bus, and asked, Does this bus go to Cottesloe. For the sake of behavioural science I said No, then the passenger then told me that my display said I was and immediately got on my bus and sat down.
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

z80 wrote:I was doing a 102F to Cottelsoe with the large COTTESLOE display set, and a customer stopped the bus, and asked, Does this bus go to Cottesloe. For the sake of behavioural science I said No, then the passenger then told me that my display said I was and immediately got on my bus and sat down.
LMAO, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!
It makes you wonder why the hell they asked that bloody question!
"Nah, I'm not going to Cottesloe, I just fkn felt like displaying it!"

Cheers!
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!
aliG

Post by aliG »

z80 wrote:The rail stops should be in different locations with different bus stop polls.
For the most part, they used to be. They were red sticks in the ground instead of orange and they were located between regular stops. (Cottesloe a good example). There never seemed to be a problem in the past, but the oh-so-know-it-all-smart-arses just have to change everything for their own intellectual benefit.
Ah, the world alas....it is a sinking.
City Bus Observer

Post by City Bus Observer »

This is a co-located bus stop on Railway Road Subiaco outside Daglish Station.

Bernard
VolgrenL94UB

Post by VolgrenL94UB »

You can not mistake that 906. It's like in bright colours. :lol:
Your Revolution Is A Joke.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”