• Advertisement

Transperth: City Beach terminuses now in Wembley Downs

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Transperth: City Beach terminuses now in Wembley Downs

Postby <smarTTrams> » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Completely unannounced, Transperth has changed the name of parts of the suburb of City Beach to "Wembley Downs".

Not news that will make the property owners in those parts of City Beach too happy, I'd say!

Routes 91, 92, 95 are now displaying "Wembley Downs" on their destos, even though information and maps on bus-stop panels and in timetables show both the Chipping Rd / Catesby St (Route 91) terminus and the Hale Rd / West Coast Hwy (Routes 92 & 95) terminus to be in City Beach. Not to mention Perth street directories (ancient or modern)!

<smarTTrams> ... coming ... <smarTTrams> ... going ...<smarTTrams>

Edit 01.08.06: Heading changed from "Transperth re-draws City Beach boundaries"
Last edited by <smarTTrams> on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<smarTTrams>

Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Postby jaxjax » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 pm

What is the rationale behind this change? Surely Transperth should use acceptable, gazetted and recognised place names for a trip's terminus. I know in some of the older buses the desto quite often displays "Wilson" instead of "Canning Vale" on the Route 75. But with the electronic destos there is no excuse.

Perhaps this section of City Beach should complain to Transperth!

Cheers,

jaX
jaxjax

Postby tbc1983_ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:50 pm

jaxjax wrote:What is the rationale behind this change? Surely Transperth should use acceptable, gazetted and recognised place names for a trip's terminus. I know in some of the older buses the desto quite often displays "Wilson" instead of "Canning Vale" on the Route 75. But with the electronic destos there is no excuse.
Perhaps this section of City Beach should complain to Transperth!

Cheers,

jaX

Regarding the "bold" part, maybe TP keep it the same with electronic desto as with the scroll for uniformity...???

Just a guess...

Cheers!
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!
tbc1983_

Postby City Bus Observer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:35 pm

Perhaps PTA have done this change in order to distinguish the two sets of routes that serve the City Beach area namely the 81,84 and 85, and the 91,92 and 95. The passengers for the Wembley Downs area do not have any indication that buses pass through that area. A compromise destination could be "City Beach via Wembley Downs" such as the current route 28 has "Claremont via Floreat Forum".
Bernard
City Bus Observer

Re: Transperth: City Beach terminuses now in Wembley Downs

Postby <smarTTrams> » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:19 pm

busdriver12 wrote:... it will be more for the people that find themselves stranded at the Hale Rd terminus when they want to go to the end of Oceanic Dve.

I suspect you're right, busdriver12.

Yet today the bus doing the Route 91 ex East Perth 1128 hours was showing "City Beach" as it turned from Harborne St into Grantham St, Wembley! (Route 91 terminates at Chipping Rd / Catesby St, City Beach.)

<smarTTrams>
<smarTTrams>

Postby City Bus Observer » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:03 pm

Transperth Timetable Western 43 dated 7/01/06 as posted on their website indicate the destinaton of the 90 route complex is Wembley Downs though the termini are in City Beach North.
Bernard
City Bus Observer

Postby <smarTTrams> » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:30 pm

Which makes my paper copy of the Western 43 timetable out of date!

My copy (which I thought was the latest version) shows all destinations as "City Beach".

Transperth's TravelEasy has let me down again by not informing me that a new version of the timetable came out seven months ago.

<smarTTrams>
<smarTTrams>

Postby City Bus Observer » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:05 pm

<smarTTrams> check the timetable rack on the bus occasionally. I am sure the Path Transit operators replenish those racks regularly. The sWAn Transit Riverside ones do so
Bernard
City Bus Observer

Postby <smarTTrams> » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:05 pm

City Bus Observer wrote:Transperth Timetable Western 43 dated 7/01/06 as posted on their website indicate the destinaton of the 90 route complex is Wembley Downs though the termini are in City Beach North.

7/01/06, City Bus Observer? The paper copy I picked up at Fremantle station yesterday is dated 29/01/06!

Do you mean that the map shows the termini as Wembley Downs? Because the maps are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to placing suburb names.

The destinations for routes 91, 92 & 95 all show "City Beach - East Perth" and the actual timetables are headed "To City Beach" and "To East Perth".
<smarTTrams>

Postby City Bus Observer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 pm

<smarTTrams> wrote:
City Bus Observer wrote:Transperth Timetable Western 43 dated 7/01/06 as posted on their website indicate the destinaton of the 90 route complex is Wembley Downs though the termini are in City Beach North.

7/01/06, City Bus Observer? The paper copy I picked up at Fremantle station yesterday is dated 29/01/06!

Do you mean that the map shows the termini as Wembley Downs? Because the maps are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to placing suburb names.

The destinations for routes 91, 92 & 95 all show "City Beach - East Perth" and the actual timetables are headed "To City Beach" and "To East Perth".

Have a look at the Web based timetable at look at its cover

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/timetab ... 060129.pdf

The 90 series buses serve in final section of their runs Wembley Downs and City Beach North but mostly Wembley Downs
Bernard
City Bus Observer

Postby Member 1269 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:38 am

Hi Gents,

Yep I've seen this myself and it is a little confusing.

I agree it needs a little more than 'CITY BEACH' on the desto, but Hale Road CITY BEACH would be sufficent I would of thought.

Also having 4 different termini in City Beach makes it hard and confusing for pax.

Has anyone else picked up the destionation error on the evening 95T services? The desto code provided on our worksheets and where the bus actually goes are about 2.5kms apart!

The evening ones do an extension to the old Cemetry.

I wish they would put a 'POWERED BY DIESEL' and bring back 'SPECIAL' in the next software/desto updates.

rgds

Tom
Member 1269

Postby hij » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:53 am

It seems the intention is quite clear, and that when looked at rationally. the destination displayed reflects a better representation of the area it serves...hence the 90 series discussion. They technically terminate in City Beach but were always seen (when I was dreiving) as Wembley downs services. Similarly, the 34 travelled through South Perth in its entirety only to cross the highway and terminate 3 short streets away in Warrego St KENSINGTON.
But it displayed South Perth and was known very much so as the South Perth service.
It all seemed logical to me then as an 8 yr old and still does to this day.
hij

Postby actually » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:04 am

From where the 412 (I think) used to terminate in Wembley Downs to the Hale Rd terminus of route 95 there is only (from memory) a few stops.
Proudly having drivin PATH Transit buses (fulltime) from 23/09/1996 to 11/05/12.
Back sniffing fumes.

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
actually

Postby Member 1269 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:04 am

I checked today at work and the latest timetable DOES say it terminates in Wembley Downs for the 92 and 95.

The 412 is another one that used to cause some confusion as it terminates in Scarborough but about 3kms from the Esplanade in Hastings St tho'!

rgds

Tommy
Member 1269

Postby mrobsessed » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:34 pm

That's the worst avatar I have ever seen.....
mrobsessed

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Postby hij » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:17 pm

You can see the pattern forming, the 90s series differentiated from the 80s series; the 34 (originally) and the 412 (and when 265-7) is a further good example - so as not to have people in that case still on-board at the terminus saying "but doesn't this bus go to Scarborough?". All, logically when you step back and have a look designed to help the passenger. Be interesting to hear of any other examples.

A similar thing is employed in the taxi "plotting" system.
For eg South Perth comes under area number 143, Kensington 142. The area east of Douglas Ave and north of Canning Hwy is (upto the border of Vic Park) in South Perth. Jobs despatched to taxiis in this area, however, are considered to be in Kensington, to aid the driver initially and ultimately the customer.
hij

Postby actually » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:53 pm

mrobsessed Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the worst avatar I have ever seen.....

I think that pretty much sums up tea-bag perfectly! :lol:
Proudly having drivin PATH Transit buses (fulltime) from 23/09/1996 to 11/05/12.
Back sniffing fumes.

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
actually

Postby Herbert » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 pm

I know what my bus would be displaying if I was running a 9x service!!

Perhaps routes 47 & 63 should no longer display Beechboro lest passengers get confused with routes 49, 59, 61 & 62?

Back in ye good olde days "DIANELLA" could mean anything from Crawford Rd near Inglewood (route 59) to Gordon Rd (route 53) umpteen miles away. Then there were the old 67 & 68 termini either side of Morley Drive.

Of course, the issue is more about suburbs served rather than ultimate destinations. Think about the huge variety of routes to MORLEY ranging from the 17 via Fitzgerald St/Alexander Drive to the 46 which goes on Cooks Tour of Maylands.

Lack of digital displays is no excuse: Swan Transit introduced canvas via blinds as soon as they took over the Midland contract (my favourite being via Blackadder!). Why didn't the other companies follow suit?
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Herbert

Favourite Vehicle: rather partial to B12BLEAs!

Postby Member 1269 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:30 pm

G'day Phil and Herbie 007,

You hit the nail on the head with the digital destos on the 400 series 'digies' comments.

When the new interchange opened up at Clakson and Nowergup opened we inherited 442/443/446 and 447 from Joondalup for that exact reason.

Even from a TC's perspecitve they are a major pain still today. We can't allocate them on 352/390/391/870/408 and certain school specials coz they can't display the destinations. We have a few shifts at Karrinyup that venture north of Joondalup and we can't put them on those shifts either.

Interestingly we are still allowed to run them on 401's which diplay 'PERTH CITY BUSPORT' or something to that effect although they actually now go to WSBS.

These destos are useless anyway in the wet-weather they seem to really suffer in the rain and cold conditions.

It always used to make me wonder why 679, 684, 686 (yes please) and 691 never came down to Karrinyup with the opening of the new depot as they have the same destos and some of the Volgren Renaults never were transfered up there in their place.

Doesn't somebody have the 'technology' to update the chips on this board anyway?? Mr O......

Does nayone remeber 413, 416-418 when they had those legible experimental desto in?

I'm assured that the evening desto issue with the 95T services is in the process of being rectified also.

rgds

Tom
Member 1269

Postby mrobsessed » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:19 am

Don't I wish I had the Transdot software..... Adelaide changed their Transdots to run different chips to ours, so ours are unique in Australia.
mrobsessed

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Perth / WA