82 bg100 motorhome build manual to auto conversion

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
bg100

82 bg100 motorhome build manual to auto conversion

Post by bg100 »

Hi ppl i new to this forum. So firstly hi to all.
Ive recently purchased a 82 bg100 40 foot coach to be converted into a motorhome. Its fitted with a non syncro 5 speed. Im not really enyoying driving with this gearbox and wanted to know if anyone has converted to a automatic. Ie allison zd and if theres a direct dolt up option. Thankyou to anyone who reads and responds to my thread
Denv12

Re: 82 bg100 motorhome build manual to auto conversion

Post by Denv12 »

You are going to need an automatic transmission to start with.You also need to consider the tailshaft too.You could alter the one you've got. Your vehicle has a crashbox.You could sell that at some point.You should be able to buy the gearbox and other parts you need at reasonable prices.Also join local motorhome forums in Australia for advice as well. Can you post some photos of your vehicle and your progress on this forum? Good luck with your project.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

Not familiar with your rig but if it is a city bus the overall gearing may not suit highway work, you might need a diff as well?
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Ah that takes me back a couple of years, getting up at 3:30 on a Sunday to be in my coach for a 4 am start, no bugger about to hear me grinding the gears.
Once the lightbulb moment happens you will start to enjoy it, I even swapped our 6 speed cash box for a 7 speed crash box.
Be aware autos waste power, so unless yours has plenty of guts this is not the way I would go.
As a guide the tailshaft mod was close to $1,000 to do properly.

BTW where abouts are you ?
Oldmacca

Post by Oldmacca »

Hi all, newby who enjoys not having to change gear as I cruise Oz. Understand the the older Allison AT series of auto lost a bit of power through the Torque Converter working most of the time (not locking -up), the MT series overcame this shortcoming, and although the 4 speed MT643 spends some time on torque converter giving 8 or more speeds/ratios it does lock into gear allowing for Retarder, MT643R, or an engine exhaust brake. I averaged 9 mpg over 4,500 miles in US (US gallon = .9 Imp gallon, so equal to 10 mpg on Oz gallon in 11.5 ton motorhome with 240hp Turbo Detroit Diesel 4 stoke 8.2 litre (the awful converted Cadillac petrol engine) coupled to the MT643. If you have a 1:1 top gear then MT643 should cope adequately and not cost you power or performance, if you want a super deep 1st gear then MT653 adds that with 2nd to 5th same ratios as MT643 1st to 4th. Either of these are bullet proof, and can be found at very reasonable prices. Remember if you are less than perfect at it - every manual gear-change is the chance to do expensive damage.
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Rubbish ! Once you get the hang of it some people don't even use the clutch.
Expensive damage ? Autos way more expensive than a manual box to rebuild.
I would hazard a guess the last post is by someone who could not master a synchro box, let alone a crash box.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

What is an MPG?
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

bagmaker wrote:What is an MPG?
Miles per gallon.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »