8.2L Detroit Turbo

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
LeePereira

8.2L Detroit Turbo

Post by LeePereira »

Hi Everyone

My partner just bought a motorhome and as he was driving it back home, the 8.2L Detroit Turbo engine started knocking loudly. The exhaust rocker arm on one cylinder was broken and the exhaust valve was stuck closed. He was forced to drive for a further 90km. He has since replaced the rocker arm, set the inlet and exhaust valves but didn't adjust the fuel injector setting (doesn't know how to). Started bus but now notice it's running rough and chugging white smoke from the exhaust and some smoke coming from the oil filler cap. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Also, does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in the Perth area that knows these shitty engines and can work on them?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Lee
rustbucket

Re: 8.2L Detroit Turbo

Post by rustbucket »

There is another thread here somewhere where someone asked the same question so a bit of searching will find some suggested answers.

While sympathizing with your problems,probably not the best place to ask for help while calling these "shitty" engines though, there are many here that have 2 stroke Detroits and swear by them, including myself. They are easy fix and diagnose if you take the trouble to learn. You would prefer something more modern perhaps, where the computer starts giving you error codes in the middle of Australia? I think not.

White smoke is unburnt fuel that has been through an injector. There are special tools to set them, but I would want an expert to be doing it, and diagnosing the cause and any related problems from the incident.

It is amazing what you can do to these engines and they will still keep going. I would recommend an american forum where you could learn a lot about your engine, care and maintenance, but you might have to back off on the language a bit, or get flamed.
qbb469

Post by qbb469 »

If it's 2 stroke it's a buggered port/smashed ring.
Toolman
Favourite Vehicle: Denning

Post by Toolman »

8.2lt Detroit is not a 2 stroke and they do not have such a good name :)
daler

Post by daler »

LeePereira wrote:Hi Everyone

My partner just bought a motorhome and as he was driving it back home, the 8.2L Detroit Turbo engine started knocking loudly. The exhaust rocker arm on one cylinder was broken and the exhaust valve was stuck closed. He was forced to drive for a further 90km. He has since replaced the rocker arm, set the inlet and exhaust valves but didn't adjust the fuel injector setting (doesn't know how to). Started bus but now notice it's running rough and chugging white smoke from the exhaust and some smoke coming from the oil filler cap. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Also, does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in the Perth area that knows these shitty engines and can work on them?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Lee
The 8.2 is the 4 stroke "Fuel Pincer" engine and its important to ring around and find a dealer that has seen one of these engines or knows how to work on them. I know there is one mechanic in Wagga Wagga that is good on them.
busways266
Favourite Vehicle: My Benz - 2812

Post by busways266 »

Fuel Pincher 8.2 4 Stroke , Replaced mine with a cat 3208 . cheap job & made a huger difference & you can get parts for them & their are people around that know how to work on them .
So many projects - So little time ...

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”